• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can't see him turning up at the Tigers again even tho its a loan. Looks to be a play to get himself on the plane to Japan with him either retiring after it, or playing in Aus for either the Tahs or Force next season.

Good move by the Tahs tho, the pack doesn't look as weak with him there, even if it turns out to only be from the bench.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
If TPN couldn't hack the English premiership what does that say about the standard of his play at the moment? Not saying anything negative about the English comp but if he wasn't getting a look in there I assume they must not have rated his current abilities and can't recall him looking that flash when he was last back here. What has gone on?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If TPN couldn't hack the English premiership what does that say about the standard of his play at the moment? Not saying anything negative about the English comp but if he wasn't getting a look in there I assume they must not have rated his current abilities and can't recall him looking that flash when he was last back here. What has gone on?
He got old m8. Happens to everyone.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Taf looks cooked like Stephen Moore did in 2017 but I like the idea of getting him and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in to mentor the younger players. Good initiative from the Tahs, hopefully they sign Nic White (or Harrison Goddard) for next year when Phipps goes.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Taf looks cooked like Stephen Moore did in 2017 but I like the idea of getting him and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in to mentor the younger players. Good initiative from the Tahs, hopefully they sign Nic White (or Harrison Goddard) for next year when Phipps goes.
Gordon is a very good player, he’s just playing behind a pack that doesn’t win the gain line contest. The Tahs no9 position is one of the toughest no9 gigs in the league.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Gordon is a very good player, he’s just playing behind a pack that doesn’t win the gain line contest. The Tahs no9 position is one of the toughest no9 gigs in the league.
So much is made of the Waratahs forwards and getting over the gain line but they honestly are one of the best sides at winning the collisions to get a quick ruck. I reckon this weekend will be classic, the Reds forwards will carry much stronger and harder, but the Tahs will win because their forwards will play quick rucks and tie up Reds defenders to be able to spread the ball wide for Folau etc. to get a one on one in space. Naiyaravoro is a massive loss though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So much is made of the Waratahs forwards and getting over the gain line but they honestly are one of the best sides at winning the collisions to get a quick ruck. I reckon this weekend will be classic, the Reds forwards will carry much stronger and harder, but the Tahs will win because their forwards will play quick rucks and tie up Reds defenders to be able to spread the ball wide for Folau etc. to get a one on one in space. Naiyaravoro is a massive loss though.
Daryl is that you?

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Matt Gibbon a nsw prop is making his run on debut for Melbourne. I wonder why the Tahs didn't give him a run with a prop shortage this season?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Where we were relying on the attacking ability of Taqele and Folau to win us games we’re now relying on just Israel. I’m not sure how successful we can be with a pack that’s only aim is to put the ball in Israel’s hands as quickly as possible.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We will be playing short at least once during this game (YC from scrum penalties).

That is where we need to minimise the damage.

Hopefully they have been working on it a lot since the Sunwolves game and TPN off the bench helps things.

Our scrum shouldn't be as bad as it has been in the first two games. We are not giving up a lot of weight to other teams and Kepu and Simmons in particular who are strong scrummagers should negate some of the weaknesses elsewhere.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lack of go forward is also a major concern

Is this real though or is it just the perception people have because we are viewed (both from Tahs fans and externally) as having a lightweight pack.

Average run metres is only one stat but here are some of the rankings for Aussie players (from Fox Sports):

Prop:
Kepu - 42
Johnson-Holmes 26
Ala'alatoa - 19
Slipper - 17

Lock:
Holloway - 35
Rodda - 31
Carter - 29
Philip - 27

Hooker:
Fitzpatrick - 39
Rangi - 27
Paenga-Amosa - 21

BSF:
Samu - 40
Hanigan - 31
Cottrell - 30
Valetini - 26

OSF:
Hooper - 43
Cusack - 16

Number 8:
Naisarani - 67
Dempsey - 60
McCaffrey - 50

I absolutely think the Sunwolves game provides more run metres than most and skews the stats but I also think that there is a predisposition to people thinking the Tahs forwards are struggling in general play.

Ardie Savea bullied us in the opening game but he does that in every game. He had a whole lot more run metres against the Brumbies than against us.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Is this real though or is it just the perception people have because we are viewed (both from Tahs fans and externally) as having a lightweight pack.

Average run metres is only one stat but here are some of the rankings for Aussie players (from Fox Sports):

Prop:
Kepu - 42
Johnson-Holmes 26
Ala'alatoa - 19
Slipper - 17

Lock:
Holloway - 35
Rodda - 31
Carter - 29
Philip - 27

Hooker:
Fitzpatrick - 39
Rangi - 27
Paenga-Amosa - 21

BSF:
Samu - 40
Hanigan - 31
Cottrell - 30
Valetini - 26

OSF:
Hooper - 43
Cusack - 16

Number 8:
Naisarani - 67
Dempsey - 60
McCaffrey - 50

I absolutely think the Sunwolves game provides more run metres than most and skews the stats but I also think that there is a predisposition to people thinking the Tahs forwards are struggling in general play.

Ardie Savea bullied us in the opening game but he does that in every game. He had a whole lot more run metres against the Brumbies than against us.
As always BH a good point. A lot of misconcieved perceptions abound around here. Set piece does need improvement

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This weekend against the Reds will certainly be a good test.

Last year there before the equivalent game a lot of people thought the Reds pack were going to completely out-muscle the Tahs forwards. It absolutely didn't happen outside of the scrum and instead the Tahs forwards won the collision zone and won the game easily.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Scrum is obviously number one for improvement but I think it will come good. Our line out defence seems to have been a massive pre season focus after what the Lions did in last year’s semi so it’s now pretty good I think. Only other concern against the Reds is if they get a chance to do their Irish pick and go grind from 5-10m out. I think they will look to score tries that way rather than trying anything expansive.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Prop:
Kepu - 42
Johnson-Holmes 26
Ala'alatoa - 19
Slipper - 17

Lock:
Holloway - 35
Rodda - 31
Carter - 29
Philip - 27

Hooker:
Fitzpatrick - 39
Rangi - 27
Paenga-Amosa - 21

BSF:
Samu - 40
Hanigan - 31
Cottrell - 30
Valetini - 26

OSF:
Hooper - 43
Cusack - 16

Number 8:
Naisarani - 67
Dempsey - 60
McCaffrey - 50

BH, I think Ardie should be penalised more often. Many times he is tackled and doesn't release than keeps going

Status
Not open for further replies.