• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Clubs put heat on NSW Rugby board as chairman prepares to leave in May (smh.com.au)
A number of influential Sydney club figures are demanding change at NSW Rugby board level following the controversial sacking of Waratahs coach Rob Penney on Sunday, and even Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan has pre-emptively welcomed further changes at the battling organisation.
The call for wider accountability came as under fire Waratahs chairman Roger Davis refused to confirm whether he would stand down at the next NSWRU annual general meeting, which will be held in May. Sources with knowledge of the situation told the Herald Davis has agreed to depart his role at the AGM.

Looks like Davis is gone

Problem is. All that's likely to happen is a shuffling of the deck chairs. That there idea of who they should be accountable to begins and ends with a minority of clubs. I would support a move to accountability but I want it to be applied broadly. To the point that every registered player statewide isn't just a participant but a voting member. So any future board is beholden to the base. And will actually have to present vision and solid strategy to grow and support the game at the grassroots level.

I want a board led by someone with am actionable plan
To grow participation and support the junior clubs, the subbies and the district clubs old and new. Someone capable of developing an interconnected and cohesive system where young kids can easily access a club while being part of a bigger community within their district and it's premier club.

And I want a real plan for Western Sydney. Not words. A real plan.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Problem is. All that's likely to happen is a shuffling of the deck chairs. That there idea of who they should be accountable to begins and ends with a minority of clubs. I would support a move to accountability but I want it to be applied broadly. To the point that every registered player statewide isn't just a participant but a voting member. So any future board is beholden to the base. And will actually have to present vision and solid strategy to grow and support the game at the grassroots level.

I want a board led by someone with am actionable plan
To grow participation and support the junior clubs, the subbies and the district clubs old and new. Someone capable of developing an interconnected and cohesive system where young kids can easily access a club while being part of a bigger community within their district and it's premier club.

And I want a real plan for Western Sydney. Not words. A real plan.

Run for office, sir.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unfortunately unless things change, the Tahs are likely to become the Emus of Super Rugby. Only difference is they won't be kicked out as easily.

It's going to be hard getting coaches and players, and it's not entirely unlikely that current players will look for opportunities elsewhere.

Yes I know this is a pessimistic view and likely to soften as the weeks go on.

Would be good to hear something solid out of the Tahs, not just management jargo-babble

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
John Manenti – Australia’s women’s sevens coach – has put his hand up to coach the Waratahs following the Tokyo Olympics and believes NSW Rugby has lost sight in the system that made them the nation’s biggest nursery (Shute Shield).
The Australian.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Unfortunately unless things change, the Tahs are likely to become the Emus of Super Rugby. Only difference is they won't be kicked out as easily.

It's going to be hard getting coaches and players, and it's not entirely unlikely that current players will look for opportunities elsewhere.

Yes I know this is a pessimistic view and likely to soften as the weeks go on.

Would be good to hear something solid out of the Tahs, not just management jargo-babble

I'm not so pessimistic. Yes, head office needs a complete overhaul, but the Tahs have the largest player pool to pick from. This has been an awful season, but there's opportunity to bounce back next year.

Th0mo

Allen Oxlade (6)

Nah we will take everyone else down with us. NZ desire to cut us to 3 looking more likely. Not next year but come next broadcast cycle we cut two two teams and Tahs top up with half their squads, other half go o/s.

RA need to intervene eg use top ups to direct non-qld players to Tahs till squad is fixed. Any complaints see above for the alternative.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
John Manenti – Australia’s women’s sevens coach – has put his hand up to coach the Waratahs following the Tokyo Olympics and believes NSW Rugby has lost sight in the system that made them the nation’s biggest nursery (Shute Shield).
The Australian.

giphy.gif

Right, just so we're clear:

The Shute Shield populated by clubs who like to warehouse players in 4 or more Grades + 3 or more Colts teams but use the bottom 100 of them for food bills?
OR
The Shute Shield that struggles to get more than a few hundred people on average to a small paddock surrounded by decrepit cow sheds because what budget they do amass is squandered on players?
OR
The Shute Shield that is in immediate danger of having three of its clubs collapse?
OR
The Shute Shield that simultaneously thinks it is grassroots while wanting to get handouts to be professional?
OR
All of the above?

Or are we talking some other, as-yet-unidentified, Shute Shield?

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
‘Timing is obviously a killer’: Cron rules himself out of Waratahs contention (smh.com.au)
Poor timing has struck once again, as Cron has recently resigned with Toyota. “Unfortunately I’m out of the running for the Waratahs next year,” Cron told the Herald.“I re-signed a few weeks ago with Toyota and in good faith I just couldn’t push things any longer.
Timing is obviously a killer. “With the Waratahs on the search for a new coach following Penney’s sacking on Sunday following five straight defeats this year, Cron’s name was one of the leading options and sources told the Herald contact had been made with the former Junior Wallabies coach. While Cron is unavailable, another Australian overseas is understood to be keen on the NSW job.
Darren Coleman, who coached Warringah and Gordon to Shute Shield titles recently, is with the LA Giltinis in US major League Rugby at the moment but sources close to the 48-year say he would entertain the position, particularly given he applied for the job that Penney ended up getting at the end of 2019.Australian women’s sevens coach John Manenti, who cut his teeth in the Shute Shield as coach of Eastwood, has also been discussed by NSW officials as a potential option.

Cron is out

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As a group, let's pretend - just for a moment - that the SRU is a body composed of wise and noble persons, concerned with the wider interests of Australian Rugby i.e. anything outside the northern beaches or the Golden Triangle.

Just let that sink in for a min-no, no, fight the natural urge to shout obscenities. Just relax and let the misfiring synapses in your brain pass, and slowly sink into a state of altered reality. Yes, yes, that's it. Transcend. Good.

giphy.gif

Let us contemplate, in the vast nothingness opening in our anterior cingulate cortex, that the politics of Sydney Rugby just *doesn't exist*. Let that strange thought move through you.

Now take this question and hurl it into the void: "Why does a collective organisation, that has worked so hard for so very long to pull itself up at the expense of others, think eternally, that it is the answer?"

Now, awaken, screaming into that same void, as the hammerhead shark of reality attaches itself to your frontal lobe.

giphy.gif

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
Tahs job will be the most coveted Aussie gig that's come up in some time, so it's not like there won't be a pool of suitable candidates. If Eddie gets sacked or Cheika wants it, it's theres imo. Cheika can have life tenure for his services circa 2013-14. It's a shame the $$$ situation appears so dire, not sure about the other top leagues around the world and the vacancies/potential firings but does seem like when it comes to money already at disadvantage. Pre-covid it was more even it seems like, hence why Tahs were able to bring in Penny, who isn't a lemon and was accomplished. Heard Scott Wisemantle as a potential which is interesting and someone who seems to have the pedigree, would seem like he could fairly easily balance both Tahs HC and Wallabies assistant. When it comes to recruiting it's not as dire as made out to be (I declare Tahs win SRAU within the next 2 seasons), it's not as if there aren't Aussie, grown up in Syd players at other clubs both within Aus and OS that would jump at coming home. That formed basis of 2014 title - recruitment of Hooper/Beale/Phipps/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), all key cogs. With Cron out of the running per latest Smh article, will be interesting to see whose managers put there names up for it, not like we have 5-6 months of theorising haha

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Darren Coleman, who coached Warringah and Gordon to Shute Shield titles recently, is with the LA Giltinis in US major League Rugby at the moment but sources close to the 48-year say he would entertain the position, particularly given he applied for the job that Penney ended up getting at the end of 2019.Australian women’s sevens coach John Manenti, who cut his teeth in the Shute Shield as coach of Eastwood, has also been discussed by NSW officials as a potential option.

Who are these NSW officials?

If they have been there for more 2 years they are part of the problems they have no role to play in the solution.

They should not be selecting a new coach let a completely new Board do that.

Roger Davis and his Board need to go and go now they are a disgrace and an embarrassment.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not so pessimistic. Yes, head office needs a complete overhaul, but the Tahs have the largest player pool to pick from. This has been an awful season, but there's opportunity to bounce back next year.
Which, so far, seems to be working really well. Players who are quality know their options, and sadly, the Tahs would not be top of many lists.
Unless the fucked-up organisation that is NSWRU and The Waratahs dramatically change their stripes, they will continue to do this poorly.
Roger walking out the door would be a good step if he took pretty much all of the board with him and a complete overhaul happened.
It won't.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Australian.

Just more of the same noise. I believe the Shute Shield does play and important role in the overall structure of the game. They should form the encompassing district level clubs that oversee and arguably administer junior Rugby. But, they problem with rugby in this state will not be fixed by purely focusing on a few elite clubs. FFS we're a game accused of elitism and our solution is always more elitism. Come on.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A lot of anger towards NSWRU board - me no anger as I just reached disillusionment and indifference with way rugby run by NSWRU long time ago following:
- Disaster around NSW and NRC with poor decisions in establishing NRC teams, way run and lack of support
- Disaster around decision to reject private investment in WS GRR team - how is that western sydney strategy and investment in WS going NSWRU?
- The Western Sydney 'no strategy' shambles and continued decline of rugby at next level with Emus booted and struggles of two blues in shute shield
- Decline of Tahs under Gibson with poor recruitment and team selection issues (e.g. selecting Foley to play 80 mins week in week out with no game time for next 10 to develop e.g. Mason)
- Major desertion of fans from any pro elements of game - with rapid diminishing of fan numbers from Tahs games and NRC games (early games at least got ok crowds for some Rays home games before disinterest set in)