• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Yep I guess that is maybe the point - ‘solid’ does not grow audiences.we need a sprinkling of genuine superstars amongst the solid. At this point the tahs certainly don’t seem to have any super stars like the Barrett’s etc - not expecting a team of super stars but a sprinkling yes.

Not even superstars, they need some personalities, something marketable. Talent helps with that but League has shown us some of their biggest personalities were mediocre players

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Who would be the most likely captain out of that motley mob? Dempsey?

Good question. Dempsey and Gordon are the only ones with a meaningful number of games under their belt. Maybe HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) or Newsome. But Newsome isn't a guaranteed starter. If he was a long term starting prospect we'd know by now.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that is a bit unfair on the young guys. I think there is certainly potential there. Bell and Swinton in the pack have the attributes to be crowd pleasers in different ways. Harris also is set to make an impact too. In the backs we have the makings of some great Wingers and people sell Maddocks way short.
Nobody is a superstar, until they are.
But as you note at this point we don’t have any super stars - so what we market to get the crowds in to say come and watch for a few seasons and maybe by year 3 you might see some genuine super stars to watch

Houston we have a problem

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But as you note at this point we don’t have any super stars - so what we market to get the crowds in to say come and watch for a few seasons and maybe by year 3 you might see some genuine super stars to watch

Houston we have a problem

Sure, but I also think we're past the point where that makes a meaningful difference. We're very much down to the rusted on fans who care less about that.

The crowds weren't substantially better when we had Folau and Beale a couple of seasons ago.

I don't think a really high profile player adds many bums on seats at this point.

I know you were frustrated that Hunt wasn't re-signed but realistically, no one is turning up to watch him play.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Agreed, there's at least 10 players in the squad with the potential to be superstars.

Give it a few years and I reckon the Waratahs will have loads of household names.

Much like the reds 3 years ago, they stuck by their guns with the young guys. They are now reeking the benefits- Thor, Petaia, McDermott, Wright, McReight etc...

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I also saw Harry Wilson all dressed up in Blue Tah gear.

No, not that Harry Wilson. There is another. And a Teddy Wilson scrummy.

Will Harris
Teddy Wilson
Will Harrison
Harry Wilson
What is going on?????

Have they still got 2 Angus Bell's in the squad to add to the confusion?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sure, but I also think we're past the point where that makes a meaningful difference. We're very much down to the rusted on fans who care less about that.

The crowds weren't substantially better when we had Folau and Beale a couple of seasons ago.

I don't think a really high profile player adds many bums on seats at this point.

I know you were frustrated that Hunt wasn't re-signed but realistically, no one is turning up to watch him play.

I would not call hunt a super star given where he was at career wise - he is in the solid bracket - if we had super stars that made for a winning team that played attractive exciting brand of rugby that combo would probably bring fans back. But I do use the word probably as rugby got itself down to rusted fans and to win back the casual and other sports fans not watching rugby will be challenging. As don’t disagree that will take probably more then just signing a super star to grow the fan base beyond the remaining rusted on we are left with.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Tahs apparently chasing Izaia Perese, he is a highly talented player, but jeez he doesn’t have a great reputation. Broke his Reds contract early and then found guilty of some pretty serious drug charges whilst playing with the Broncos earlier this year.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tahs apparently chasing Izaia Perese, he is a highly talented player, but jeez he doesn’t have a great reputation. Broke his Reds contract early and then found guilty of some pretty serious drug charges whilst playing with the Broncos earlier this year.
I think it’d be a good signing, every team this year had players with questionable pasts that proved to be valuable assets to the clubs.

Reds - JOC (James O'Connor) (drugs and sacked) and Paisami (sacked for public punch up)
Brums - Slipper (drugs)
Force - Ready (alcohol)
Waratahs - Hunt (drug charges)
Rebels - Louwrens (steroids)

I think the kid deserves another chance and prior to the 2019 junior wallabies crop was the clear standout player over a 4-5 year span at junior level.

Alex Ross (28)

I have very mixed feelings about this. Assuming it won’t be for next year anyway as he’s playing in France. So irrespective of whether they take him on or not it will give Walton a chance at proving himself. I’ve got a good feeli by about him. I think he has a great Rugby brain.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs have signed scrum half Jack Grant from Easts and NTT in Japan

I think that's a pretty decent signing as the backup. He's got a good opportunity to get pretty substantial Super Rugby game time straight away as Gordon's backup.

I wonder if Henry Robertson from Gen Blue will be the third choice?

Alex Ross (28)
I think that's a pretty decent signing as the backup. He's got a good opportunity to get pretty substantial Super Rugby game time straight away as Gordon's backup.

Henry Robertson played in the Aus A game against Argentina I believe so I think it’s likely he’ll be playing some minutes next year

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Having been in a pro program in Japan should mean will hit the ground running