• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The kid's still growing, physically, and still learning the different skills needed in our game. He certainly looked a different player, a step above where he was.
I actually rate him highly and think the criticism last year was a bit much. Like you said still growing and learning, add to that the Tahs last year were shambolic and a dire environment to learn within for a young player

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually rate him highly and think the criticism last year was a bit much. Like you said still growing and learning, add to that the Tahs last year were shambolic and a dire environment to learn within for a young player
More to the point what has happened to Ramm as after breakout year can’t crack the 23.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is the injury list from the last squad announcement. You can find it at the bottom of the team announcement article on the Waratahs website each week.

Players unavailable for selection:

Ben Donaldson – Calf (TBC)

Henry Robertson – Shoulder (Round 9+)

Izaia Perese – COVID Protocols (Round 7)

James Ramm – Groin (Round 7)

Jake Gordon – Hamstring (Round 7-9)

James Turner – Ankle (Round 7)

Jeremy Williams – Hamstring (Round 11+)

Joey Walton – ACL (Season)

Lachlan Swinton (Shoulder TBC)

Michael Hooper – Foot (Round 7)

Mosese Tuipulotu – Knee (Round 11+)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Donaldson seems to be training with the team if the latest Tah photos are accurate.
Hopefully but I'm not convinced. Seemed to be a random group of photos featuring different gear. Not sure they were all from yesterday.

Would certainly be good though given Harrison was also pictured training.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Would seem unlikely that Ramm and Turner make the 23 given their layoffs and the good play by Nawaqanitawase.

Would certainly be a much stronger side if we can bring back Bell and Johnson-Holmes into the starting lineup along with Hooper, Holloway, Gordon, Donaldson and Perese.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would seem unlikely that Ramm and Turner make the 23 given their layoffs and the good play by Nawaqanitawase.

Would certainly be a much stronger side if we can bring back Bell and Johnson-Holmes into the starting lineup along with Hooper, Holloway, Gordon, Donaldson and Perese.
With the returning players I wouldn't be amazed to see the tahs rest/rotate a few more players this week. The way they were talking about load management last week it looks like they're really cognizant of the potential for injuries overworking the squad after last year:
Whitaker said the lessons of their winless season in 2021 was they needed to lessen their reliance on starters, and broaden the squad’s experience. “We realise the boys have played a lot of footy. It’s six, seven weeks straight now so if we don’t do it we will get the same situation we were in last year, with a horrendous injury list,” he said. “We worked out the more the boys play back to back, and you don’t use the option to rotate and build the depth in your squad and give guys opportunities, you find yourself in that situation. So the whole thing is we have to avoid that situation.

Based on minutes so far this year Gamble, Harris, Newsome and Foketi are all a chance of getting a break. Harris and Newsome in particular haven't missed a minute this season.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
And do we know any Hanigan timing? Or, indeed, when we will see Ned Han-again?
I believe the final for Japan's League One Rugby comp is the weekend after the Super Rugby final. So we're unlikely to see Hanners back for any Tahs matches until we return to the SFS.
might I suggest Mark spend a coupla years with the Oz 7s squad. There his blinding speed'll be a mighty asset, but, he'll have to make uber-quick judgements and decisions in defence. And his tackling techniques will be severely questioned.
He did that over the last off-season. Hopefully he does it again this off-season too.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Marky's defence is still very questionable. He's been blessed with blinding speed (schoolboy sprint champion will do that for you) which makes his ball-in-hand stuff look impressive, however, defence hasn't looked nearly as good. As one who's looked at far too much rugby these last 50 years might I suggest Mark spend a coupla years with the Oz 7s squad. There his blinding speed'll be a mighty asset, but, he'll have to make uber-quick judgements and decisions in defence. And his tackling techniques will be severely questioned.
He doesn't have blinding speed at all - he's very athletic with a great vertical leap but he's no speedster.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
He breaks tackles, he's good in the air and has a big boot. That's all been there to some extent, but the big issue in the past has been his reluctance to go into hard contact, and he appeared to overcome that on Saturday. His decision to try to beat Petaia on the outside for that try was poor, but that's fine, you will always get that in a young, inexperienced player. Ideally he learns from that.
My big complaint last year was his paper-thin defence, and I didn't really see that tested too much on Saturday. If he can fix that, we really do have something.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His decision to try to beat Petaia on the outside for that try was poor

I don't think it was that bad. It took a brilliant tackle from Petaia and Nawaqanitawase was still very close to scoring the try.

He does have that great acrobatic ability so I'm not against him backing himself to score in the corner in tight spaces like that.

Stewart was trailing on the inside so stepping Petaia didn't guarantee a try either.

Potentially Gamble could have given him more space by trying to get infield and provide a passing option (although Stewart was pushing him out wider too).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think it was that bad. It took a brilliant tackle from Petaia and Nawaqanitawase was still very close to scoring the try.

He does have that great acrobatic ability so I'm not against him backing himself to score in the corner in tight spaces like that.

Stewart was trailing on the inside so stepping Petaia didn't guarantee a try either.

Potentially Gamble could have given him more space by trying to get infield and provide a passing option (although Stewart was pushing him out wider too).
Likely no other fullback in the competition can make that sort of tackle, save Jordie Barrett.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is the injury list from the last squad announcement. You can find it at the bottom of the team announcement article on the Waratahs website each week.

Players unavailable for selection:

Ben Donaldson – Calf (TBC)

Henry Robertson – Shoulder (Round 9+)

Izaia Perese – COVID Protocols (Round 7)

James Ramm – Groin (Round 7)

Jake Gordon – Hamstring (Round 7-9)

James Turner – Ankle (Round 7)

Jeremy Williams – Hamstring (Round 11+)

Joey Walton – ACL (Season)

Lachlan Swinton (Shoulder TBC)

Michael Hooper – Foot (Round 7)

Mosese Tuipulotu – Knee (Round 11+)

Why is Vosayaco not listed or can we assume from that he's available for selection now.

Swinton's nerve damage is very concerning, it ended Simon Dwyer & Rob Horne's careers' and I'm sure many more...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why is Vosayaco not listed or can we assume from that he's available for selection now.

Swinton's nerve damage is very concerning, it ended Simon Dwyer & Rob Horne's careers' and I'm sure many more...

He was until last week I believe. He would have been available for selection for the Reds game.

I agree on Swinton. I imagine we'd have heard more already if it was the injury Dwyer and Horne had. Obviously that is a permanently disabling injury and there are many steps short of that which can still be really serious.

Hopefully he doesn't have any permanent damage and it comes good sooner rather than later.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm happy to see Foketi has signed to 2024. We tend to loose some players just as they start to show some form.

Rona was an example of a player just finding his straps and then scarpering off abroad.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm happy to see Foketi has signed to 2024. We tend to loose some players just as they start to show some form.

Rona was an example of a player just finding his straps and then scarpering off abroad.
I think we are seeing the benefits of solid recruitment as roberts as back up may prove useful as Foketi’s knee did not look good and with roberts at least you don’t lose too much if have to play him at 12 instead of Foketi. voyasayko also played centre so also gives another backup option there. Hard to believe got so much good depth options given where tahs were last year. Have to give lot of credit on solid recruitment strategy as players brought in quality and made a difference ie cridge, voyasayko, roberts..while lot of players made big step forward this year ie gamble, newsome, Holloway, marky n, pocketi