• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Alex Ross (28)
How much do they pay a TH or lock in the NH? More than we can afford I’d guess.
You don’t need a top 5 player. Look at the value Timani has added to the Force. Look at Eloff. Hell! Go to Georgia and grab a guy who pulls his own plow on the farm and plays rugby on weekends. I’m sure they are out there. Tahs recruiters need to pull their finger out and earn their pay check.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Why would the recruiters pull their fingers out now? Their succession planning has shown they’re pretty comfortable with their fingers where they are.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So it's looking possible for Less Kiss to coach the Waratahs and Darren Coleman to the Rebels.

How would people feel about this? Don't know anything about these guys to be honest, but they are pretty highly regarded coaches apparently?

Both are names highly respected in the domestic environment. Time will tell. If it happens I like that they get the opportunity. Let's hope that they make good with it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Besides, who are these international quality locks and tightheads we are about to sign? There aren't any going.

Paul Alo-Emile is off contract, he'd be a good place to start. If the tahs are only going to be given limited dispensation for marquee internationals, tight head is where you want to start. There aren't really any Australians to signs there, where as guys like Coleman, Skelton and Hockings are at least potentially available at lock. Hockings in particular has apparently voiced a desire to come home and try for a world cup spot.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know Alo-Emile is Australian, but foreign by World Rugby standards. Critical positions like THP, Hooker, Fly-half shouldn’t be offered up to foreigners, especially not in Queensland or NSW. I’ll reluctantly accept a back-rower or outside back, but not in a critical position like those listed.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think it's necessarily a big deal, as long as a holistic view is taken across the teams. Tupou, Ala'alatoa and Fa'amausili are all starting at their clubs, with Australian back ups behind them, so there is room for flexibility elsewhere. Additionally tighthead is probably the position that spends the least amount of time on the field (Tupou aside) so a backup tighthead is still getting plenty of game time. If there was a good young tight head sitting on the bench working with someone experienced will probably be better for their development than starting and struggling.

Otherwise the options for the tahs are guys like Sam Talakai, Sef Fa'agase, Les Makin and Paddy Ryan. None of them bad but not rally going to be pushing for the Wallabies either.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In saying that we have too much money spent on 6, 7, 8 we need hard hitting locks.
Tell you what, if the money was available, Tahs should be getting Skelton. Might be a pipe dream but he is at his monstering peak. Destroyed Leinster this weekend.

Get Cheika to give him a call, then find some big bucks.

Is Roger the Dodger gone yet?

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Tell you what, if the money was available, Tahs should be getting Skelton. Might be a pipe dream but he is at his monstering peak. Destroyed Leinster this weekend.

Get Cheika to give him a call, then find some big bucks.

Is Roger the Dodger gone yet?

Insane performance by Skelton. Played the full 80 and was discarding Europe's best players 3 at a time with every run. Genuinely unstoppable. I don't think he'll come back anytime soon, looks like he's having a blast of a time (on money we don't have). My theory is he'll be parachuted into our RWC squad using some made up exemption. And I'd be okay with that, he's my no.1 overseas pick. Game changing player.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Insane performance by Skelton. Played the full 80 and was discarding Europe's best players 3 at a time with every run. Genuinely unstoppable. I don't think he'll come back anytime soon, looks like he's having a blast of a time (on money we don't have). My theory is he'll be parachuted into our RWC squad using some made up exemption. And I'd be okay with that, he's my no.1 overseas pick. Game changing player.

He is getting quite a body of work, winning stuff in Aus, the UK & now France

Not bad for a unit who can't jump in lineouts, so clearly struggles as a classical lock

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My theory is he'll be parachuted into our RWC squad using some made up exemption. And I'd be okay with that, he's my no.1 overseas pick. Game changing player.

He is already eligible under the rules that have been set up for/by Rennie.

He's allowed to pick two players from overseas who don't meet the Giteau clause rule.

I tend to think it will be RWC only where they are used because of the longer time with the squad. This year with quarantines etc. is likely to be harder.

It would be great to get a couple of these guys to link up with the Wallabies on the EOYT though.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
He is already eligible under the rules that have been set up for/by Rennie.

He's allowed to pick two players from overseas who don't meet the Giteau clause rule.

I tend to think it will be RWC only where they are used because of the longer time with the squad. This year with quarantines etc. is likely to be harder.

It would be great to get a couple of these guys to link up with the Wallabies on the EOYT though.

Are the two outside Giteau a permanent rule?? I thought it was just last year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are the two outside Giteau a permanent rule?? I thought it was just last year.

Sorry, you're right.

I would bet that the rule will be put in place whenever Rennie wants it to be. Given the eligibility restrictions are completely arbitrary I don't think they will get in the way of Rennie getting the players he wants.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
They went hard at Arnold for a mid 2022 return (maybe back end of Super Rugby) but looks like he will continue with Toulouse.

If Rennie REALLY wants him then he can pick him anyway and I'm sure Arnold knows this. He's on massive money and only has a couple contracts left in him. He may well do a 1 year extension with Toulouse and do a Nic White and do a 2 year contract from overseas starting in 2024 and thus also be leigible for Aus at WC.

However with Arnold rejecting overtures, then there should be both appetite and cash for Skelton. I'd take a Rodda/Skelton starting combination very happily with a LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or MP (Moana Pasifika) off the bench.

Waratahs to be the beneficiary of course.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry, you're right.

I would bet that the rule will be put in place whenever Rennie wants it to be. Given the eligibility restrictions are completely arbitrary I don't think they will get in the way of Rennie getting the players he wants.

Yeah I agree. I think at the moment that really the only person who we should bend for is Skelton. Unique set of talents that we can't match here. Apologies also for derailing this 'Tahs thread.