• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Alex Ross (28)
Not sure if it's already been mentioned but this article has Dylan Pietsch from the sevens at the tahs next year:

Article is well worth a read too, goes into some of the struggles he's been through and his desire to improve indigenous representation in the game. Looks like he could add a lot to the tahs off the field as well as on as they try and rebuild.

While I understand what they are trying to do, I really wish they would stop with the “look how much he can bench press. He’s awesome” rubbish. There was an article about Whetton’s gym prowess a couple of months ago and look how that turned out!

Having said that though. It’s a good article and a great story. And they did talk about his actual rugby skills too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not sure if it's already been mentioned but this article has Dylan Pietsch from the sevens at the tahs next year:

Article is well worth a read too, goes into some of the struggles he's been through and his desire to improve indigenous representation in the game. Looks like he could add a lot to the tahs off the field as well as on as they try and rebuild.

The challenge is when putting gym numbers up is that they are just what that should be for a young athlete, shit I squat that as an old man (bench is impressive though)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You mean you can do the descent part of a 190kg squat before immediately booking in for a knee reconstruction?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You mean you can do the descent part of a 190kg squat before immediately booking in for a knee reconstruction?

Nah, knees are fine (if your knees are hurting you are doing it wrong) my issue at 190 is that some aren't exactly getting great depth, but I can get doubles done

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
A 190kg squat for a professional athlete or footballer in Australia is okay verging on good (especially in a sevens program when you are doing a high volume of running) - the average AFL player wouldn't be lifting that.

Anyone who's squatting that much and not a professional or using some enhancement is either genetically gifted or prioritising getting up squat numbers (probably to the detriment of over things!)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
But in seriousness, I too have set myself little challenges previously of pushing my squat into the 200kg+ range, but it was at the expense of all forms of cardio and aided by a generous calorie surplus. An outside back who is able to maintain the cardio endurance required to play 7's whilst also squatting that amount is really impressive.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fatprop, you don't count your own weight when measuring how much you're squatting!

Ahh ............... noted

Also did a PR deadlift of 220 last night followed by sets of 8 @ 160

As for cardio, I am doing sled work

(getting strong again)

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Would love to know Ben Batger's thoughts on another Randwick player getting a gig at the Tahs!

Agree, with all of their WARATAHS returning they should go through the rest of the season undefeated. Will be even funnier if they miss the 6. In the games Pietsch has played in Shute shield he has been less than inspiring, recognise the struggle he has been through but arent there more deserving players running around than yet another galloping green??

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree, with all of their WARATAHS returning they should go through the rest of the season undefeated. Will be even funnier if they miss the 6. In the games Pietsch has played in Shute shield he has been less than inspiring, recognise the struggle he has been through but arent there more deserving players running around than yet another galloping green??

you tell us?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
This guy hasn't been signed because he's from Randwick - he's been signed from his sevens potential.

He's a country guy who has always been on the radar from schoolboys and would have been advised to head to Randwick after leaving school (probably by people associated with the Waratahs organisation).

Had he ended up at Eastwood/ Easts, he still would have made the sevens squad, and likely been eventually signed.

The real question is whether it's appropriate to sign players based primarily on their sevens form/ athletic potential?

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Michael Icely is a good player, but he just happens to play in the only positions the Waratahs are actually crowded in talent in. If he learns to play on the wing, then he's worth a look.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Stop pretending the Shute Shield isnt a dumpster fire plz.

Alex Ross (28)

Like James “turnstile” Turner?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

Good bit of spin by the Jurno for someone who hasn’t even played super rugby yet