• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
That’s a possibility, although I think Whitaker and Gilmore have a strong bond with the boys and the team reacted and stayed close as a unit with a lot of their input.
Coleman has inherited the majority of that roster as Penney had and the turn around has been very surprising.
Better coach and man manager?
My mail is that he's fused a tight squad with a lack of results and added accountability. There's been a bit of tapping on shoulders for those not buying in. There's definitely an improvement from a fairly unchanged sqiad

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Some praise has to go to the groundkeepers, or council, for the outstanding surface. The rain didn't stop all match but both teams tried to play attractive rugby on a a solid pitch. Hawko and I were expecting some torn-up turf after scrums, it didn't happen.
Yes mate and I were saying the drainage was impressive and quite surprising what a good playing surface it was and remained so during the game. I really like leichardt oval as gives you much nicer close up view of the action.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My last thought and a controversial one perhaps, Both Turner and Pietsch had the opportunity to score and didn't - Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) would have scored both tries :)

I disagree on Pietsch. The run where he brought the ball from right to left infield was excellent and he set us up perfectly.

Donaldson stuffed it up by then throwing a long ball to the left when the option was right off his shoulder. We would have absolutely scored a play or two later.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Some praise has to go to the groundkeepers, or council, for the outstanding surface. The rain didn't stop all match but both teams tried to play attractive rugby on a a solid pitch. Hawko and I were expecting some torn-up turf after scrums, it didn't happen.
I heard on the grapevine that Parra Oval cancelled a soccer match because of drainage issues.
It seems the oval drains OK but it goes into the Parramatta River which, when subjected to the weekend's deluge, causes the ground drainage to bank up.
More credit to Leichhardt then.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
  • Reds, yet to show much in attack after 2 rounds. I suspect they will be a much better and stronger team when we meet them again in Brisbane.
Rebels are a good defensive team, they're able to stifle most of the attack from other teams and leave fans saying "Oh our team just played badly that day". I'm convinced it's because of the Rebels defence. They're utterly lacking in attack, though, which just leaves ugly boring games.

Tahs have been working on their defence. It showed in the pre-season, and seems to be carrying through to the competition. We're still in early days though so I won't make any bigger call than that as yet about the Tahs defence.

• Good turnout, despite the rain, and if it was a S...T game I am sure that half the crowd would have left by halftime, everyone stuck around and enjoyed a great game.
The crowd actually got louder as the game went on. I was looking around in the final 10 minutes wondering where all the noise was coming from because it was completely absent for the prior 70 minutes. Noise in support of BOTH sides.
  • WE NEED FINISHERS, both wingers work hard, and I cannot fault them, they will get better BUT we need to find a guy who knows how to score. Maybe give that Tevita Funa a crack again both Turner and Pietsch work hard, but they don't have the try-scoring machine look about them yet.
Definitely want to see Funa being given a crack. But I'm also quite liking what I'm seeing from Turner & HoochPietsch.
My last thought and a controversial one perhaps, Both Turner and Pietsch had the opportunity to score and didn't - Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) would have scored both tries :)
2020 Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) maybe. Not 2021 nor 2022 Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) though. 2021/22 Marky would have been bailed over the sidelines even more convincingly or tackled & stripped, giving the ball over to the Reds.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Rebels are a good defensive team, they're able to stifle most of the attack from other teams and leave fans saying "Oh our team just played badly that day". I'm convinced it's because of the Rebels defence. They're utterly lacking in attack, though, which just leaves ugly boring games.

Tahs have been working on their defence. It showed in the pre-season, and seems to be carrying through to the competition. We're still in early days though so I won't make any bigger call than that as yet about the Tahs defence.

The crowd actually got louder as the game went on. I was looking around in the final 10 minutes wondering where all the noise was coming from because it was completely absent for the prior 70 minutes. Noise in support of BOTH sides.

Definitely want to see Funa being given a crack. But I'm also quite liking what I'm seeing from Turner & HoochPietsch.

2020 Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) maybe. Not 2021 nor 2022 Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) though. 2021/22 Marky would have been bailed over the sidelines even more convincingly or tackled & stripped, giving the ball over to the Reds.
I think we need Funa and either Turner, Pietsch, or Tristan Rilley (?) Someone that can sniff out a try and not look to set up the next guy. The true test comes this weekend in Canberra, Muirhead, Wright, and Co will test or backline.

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)? I'm not a super fan but I do think he has the most potential out of the lot, Pietsch needed to run straight and slide on the corner, not cut back inside (Maybe is the 7s instinct).

In any case, it is up to Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) to show the team, fans, and coach that he can cope at this level, when/if he gets a chance :)

As we all know as soon as a Tahs player leaves the team, they usually flourish somewhere else. Hopefully those days are gone under DC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)? I'm not a super fan but I do think he has the most potential out of the lot, Pietsch needed to run straight and slide on the corner, not cut back inside (Maybe is the 7s instinct).

He's covered here. Daugunu has the angle on him.

1646024488751.png

His run back infield got us to here which should have been a simple try.

1646024557810.png

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)

He's covered here. Daugunu has the angle on him.

View attachment 13106

His run back infield got us to here which should have been a simple try.

View attachment 13107
The guy played sevens, and he has gas; I say back yourself and score. If you consider the way Daugunu is playing right now, he probably had a good chance.

In any case, they didn't score, probably a learning experience for the whole team. However, I still think that we need a finisher, and until either one of the current wingers (Or another of our wingers) strat scoring, I won't change my opinion.

Bets outcome is both have a blinder next week, and we beat the Brumbies; I will be more than happy to eat humble pie :)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think we need Funa and either Turner, Pietsch, or Tristan Rilley (?) Someone that can sniff out a try and not look to set up the next guy. The true test comes this weekend in Canberra, Muirhead, Wright, and Co will test or backline.

In any case, it is up to Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) to show the team, fans, and coach that he can cope at this level, when/if he gets a chance :)

As we all know as soon as a Tahs player leaves the team, they usually flourish somewhere else. Hopefully those days are gone under DC.
Sorry I have to say both Pietsch and turner have showed more upside and promise then Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) at this stage. Don’t get me wrong I am not writing off Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) and happy for him when time is right to get some game time off the bench. He would though at this stage benefit from 7s experience or nrc season to develop his game as unlikely to get a lot of game time at the moment this season. He imo needs another year of development which sevens and nrc would be perfect for.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Sorry I have to say both Pietsch and turner have showed more upside and promise then Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) at this stage. Don’t get me wrong I am not writing off Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) and happy for him when time is right to get some game time off the bench. He would though at this stage benefit from 7s experience or nrc season to develop his game as unlikely to get a lot of game time at the moment this season. He imo needs another year of development which sevens and nrc would be perfect for.
Turner is a better rugby player, pietsch has been playing in the 7s a lot, so he’s assured in his decision making. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is probably a better athlete, just needs an outlet to get his skills/decision making up to speed. I think you’re right with the 7s, get him with his hands on the ball often, making decisions often, not every play has to be a match winner, choose his moments. It’d also get his defensive reads and skills up to speed.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Turner is a better rugby player, pietsch has been playing in the 7s a lot, so he’s assured in his decision making. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is probably a better athlete, just needs an outlet to get his skills/decision making up to speed. I think you’re right with the 7s, get him with his hands on the ball often, making decisions often, not every play has to be a match winner, choose his moments. It’d also get his defensive reads and skills up to speed.
Yes I think Marky M (Nawaqanitawase) might have more raw X factor (that’s for you pitzy) but his base level skills (defence, read of plays asn general rugby on field awareness) needs lot of work. Hence why so bummed nrc not happening as ideal for players like him as well as sevens)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hi,
Any news on the kiwi 2nd rower that went off busted - Crittle?
Cheers and Beers

Cridge. Nothing concrete:

"... Hit by yet another injury up front, with Geoff Cridge nursing an ankle worry, no word on Lachie Swinton’s return from a concussed nerve in his shoulder and injury to No.8 Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco, on top of Ned Hanigan’s and Michael Hooper’s ongoing absences, Coleman will be entrenching the basics. ..."

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nursing an ankle worry sounds much better than the commentary at the time, when they were talking about a possible break

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nursing an ankle worry sounds much better than the commentary at the time, when they were talking about a possible break

Fog of war. The commentator said "heard a crack" but that could be anything. Hopefully not serious as he's important to our pack.

The two kiwis we had last year were poor by comparison. And that's being kind.