• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Third Hooker I hear may be Mahe Vailanu.
That's good news, he is a Super Rugby quality player. Had a stint at the Rebels, was Gordon's best player when they won the SS then had a stint in the US. Tough and experienced, just the sort of guy you need in the squad.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Great to see Ruan Smith alligning with the Wildfires and Tevita Funa to Western Sydney. Good to see DC getting players to sign with the struggling teams rather than bolstering Sydney Uni/ Randwick.
Hopefully tahs behind that ie encouraging players to align with struggling clubs as would be a sensible and appreciated strategy

Reactions: TSR

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
What on earth is happening to our locking stocks though? Surely there's someone we can call on? Is Sitaleki re-signed for the Force? Where is Luke Jones playing? Where are Sam Jeffries or Harry Hockings playing now? Feels like well be left with our dick in our hands again in the engine room.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Locks seem to get paid better OS. If the wallabies pick OS based locks, why would anyone stay here?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Locks seem to get paid better OS. If the wallabies pick OS based locks, why would anyone stay here?
Oh fuck off. Can't blame the Wallabies for the Tahs insane levels of ineptitude.

Honestly, not much of a conspiracy theorist BUT if those kiwi's were Christchurch sleeper agents they are in for a fucking promotion.

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Not making excuses for the Tahs recruitment and development these last few years and yes, Gibson has a lot to answer for. I could’ve put the same post on the wallabies thread but someone was asking where the Aussie locks are. I’m simply saying why would any decent lock stay here when the carrot of a gold jersey is taken away and you get paid more to play elsewhere?

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah I can't say I cop that either. Brad Thorn seemed to wave his magic wand a whip a squads worth of reliable hard working locks at the Reds just from kids he saw at clubs and NRC (admittedly he's an absolute taskmaster as well). We've got a few of our own coming through but the last few years have not been shit hot for developing young NSW forwards. Bring back the NRC, if not now; sooner.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah I can't say I cop that either. Brad Thorn seemed to wave his magic wand a whip a squads worth of reliable hard working locks at the Reds just from kids he saw at clubs and NRC (admittedly he's an absolute taskmaster as well). We've got a few of our own coming through but the last few years have not been shit hot for developing young NSW forwards. Bring back the NRC, if not now; sooner.
I agree we need a third tier. It would’ve helped if NSW had taken it seriously as a development tool. I agree that talent identification and development hasn’t been good enough for many years.
I just see the landscape changing with this NH tour and the picking of OS locks over domestic ones. In my opinion, if that becomes a thing most good locks will look elsewhere to play. If they make the wallabies, great. If they don’t, they get paid more.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I think only Darcy Swain and Trevor Hosea from the RC and NH tour squads are not from NSW yet we have none of them.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep. Skelton wasn’t utilised or trained up properly here. Goes OS, learns the game, gets paid massive coin, is now one of the first picked. And as Derpus insinuated that period when we had Gibson coaching, he preferred the smaller more mobile pack which chased off all the developing big locks.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
That being said Douglas and Williams look like they’ll be good in a few years. Pity we don’t have an experienced campaigner to guide them along.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
You're right. Last seasons highest paid players across the Premiership, Top 14 and Pro14 were #10's and locks. See attached graphic which is Esportif's annual player salary analysis.

Attachments

• Epc2MOwUYAE8jwU.jpg
    Epc2MOwUYAE8jwU.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's interesting how little they value their openside flankers up north considering they are typically considered amongst our best and most important players in the south (McCaw, Pocock, Hoops, Savea, etc).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep. Skelton wasn’t utilised or trained up properly here. Goes OS, learns the game, gets paid massive coin, is now one of the first picked. And as Derpus insinuated that period when we had Gibson coaching, he preferred the smaller more mobile pack which chased off all the developing big locks.
The problem goes back before Gibson, we had a wallaby laden squad, Super Rugby winning side but the next tier of prime development options knew that if they went elsewhere they would get more game time and more $$$ - and then Wobs contingent all left at once. No one was brave enough to move on important players and refresh the squad

Skelton? one of the coaches said "you can't stop a player going through the KFC drive through after training" he always had immense talent, but it took going O/S for him to find the internal discipline to lean down and keep it off