• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just thinking if tahs could get it together and be seen as one of better super rugby sides to develop talent and kept our best players coming through what the xv would look like. Ie add players like nick frost, Tom Wright in from the brumbies, plus others..as I think the bigger problem is ‘generally’ players don’t see tahs as best place to develop their careers which challenge Coleman and tahs management plus nswru have.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is hard for me to put myself in the shoes of somebody a couple of generations younger, and with a lot more talent than I ever had. But FWIW, I would prefer to live in either Canberra or Brisbane than Sydney. Sydney is a clogged up, over populated, shitehole. The smaller cities are more liveable, and it is a lot easier and cheaper to find somewhere nice to live close to good training facilities. Perth has some of those advantages, but obviously suffers from being so far from just about everywhere else. Melbourne? Nice place to visit in March or April.

The popularity of the Tahs has been on the slide ever since Lote got the axe.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It is hard for me to put myself in the shoes of somebody a couple of generations younger, and with a lot more talent than I ever had. But FWIW, I would prefer to live in either Canberra or Brisbane than Sydney. Sydney is a clogged up, over populated, shitehole. The smaller cities are more liveable, and it is a lot easier and cheaper to find somewhere nice to live close to good training facilities. Perth has some of those advantages, but obviously suffers from being so far from just about everywhere else. Melbourne? Nice place to visit in March or April.

The popularity of the Tahs has been on the slide ever since Lote got the axe.
I think you might be showing your age Wamb. We don’t really care about overcrowding, actually we prefer it. Sydney is an incredible place for a young player to live, would be amazing. Melbourne & Sydney would be most young people’s dream cities to move to (ignoring their rugby development). Canberra would be bottom of the list.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think you might be showing your age Wamb. We don’t really care about overcrowding, actually we prefer it. Sydney is an incredible place for a young player to live, would be amazing. Melbourne & Sydney would be most young people’s dream cities to move to (ignoring their rugby development). Canberra would be bottom of the list.
So why do most of the best young players choose to go "to the bottom of the list"?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So why do most of the best young players choose to go "to the bottom of the list"?
That order was just for young people in general :) but for players it’s rugby development. It’s not much of a secret that a reason Canberra is so good at developing players is because there’s bugger all to do but train. Whereas Melbourne is known where players regress because they can’t stay out of the night clubs (see: all Melbourne players).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That order was just for young people in general :) but for players it’s rugby development. I
Well, errr, yes. We are talking about rugby players, aren't we? Players who put their careers in the game ahead of just about everything else? (Or should, but sometimes don"t, of course).

It reminds me that many years ago I relocated to work at the Steelworks in Port Kembla just to get into the then new career of IT. With all due respect, the place was an absolutely dreadful place to live and work at the time. But it paid off for me, got me onto the up elevator. Plenty of time to enjoy life when I reached the higher levels of the "game".

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

success and professionalism of the program…

Melbourne Storm exemplify this, a quality program which attracts talent. And that’s in Melbourne, an ‘overcrowded’ city,

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Well, errr, yes. We are talking about rugby players, aren't we? Players who put their careers in the game ahead of just about everything else? (Or should, but sometimes don"t, of course).
Sure, but I doubt the quality or size of the city is a negative factor in their decision - talent development at the tahs has been woeful for years with the rot really setting in when the continually ignored the NRC. They sent a message to the young players in club land that leaving was the best way to get noticed and get ahead and so that's what plenty of them did.

Fix that and the city becomes an asset for signing players again. It's the largest market in the country, rugby or otherwise, and I'd be willing to bet most players can maximise their profile and earnings outside of the game (via, sponsorships, endorsements, media commitments, etc.) there, as long as the tahs are running middle of the pack or better. You only have to look at how regularly fringe wallabies from the waratahs are filling jersey's for promo material to see the potential leg up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Because they are professional footballers who want to be at the place that best develops their career and maximises their chance of success in a career that has a high failure rate (players that make it vs those that don’t) and short career span.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Canberra struggles to attract and retain players in the NRL. If the brumbies were located elsewhere, be that place nicer, worse, more crowded, less crowded the young players would go there if they and their managers thought it best for their career

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
No offence fellas, but if you haven’t lived in Canberra in the last 20 years, I’m not sure you’re qualified to make any comment about why players might choose Canberra over other cities.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No offence fellas, but if you haven’t lived in Canberra in the last 20 years, I’m not sure you’re qualified to make any comment about why players might choose Canberra over other cities.
I did 6 weeks at ANU, found the city dead and packed it in, does that count?

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)

As a current youngish Canberra resident, formally from a 'big city', I can say that it's really grown in the time I've lived here. There's far more going on than there was even 5 years ago.

Obviously Melb and Syd are probably more exciting for a young player, but it's hardly the 'either or' proposition it was in the past.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I lived in Canberra for 12 months 10 years ago and hated it, I moved back to one of the overcrowded cities, Sydney. I think Canberra is more suited to the young families, rather then the 20s age bracket.

It has improved significantly over the years, but unless you want a career in the public sector and enjoy introducing yourself by your APS level, there’s not a great appeal to move there.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know that words are just words and, at the end of the day mean very little in the whole scheme of things.

But, can I just say, I love this shit. I watch that and I see a guy who knows he has everything against him but he believes none the less. And he seems really clear that they are going to have a ‘no excuses’ culture. I really hope his players respond and eat it up and get stuck in and find the best version of themselves.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just to be clear, the Waratahs aren't Rocky.

they are Apollo Creed v Ivan Drago. All flash and cash and living off past glories....
Cash?

giphy-2.gif