• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

QueenslandTah

Frank Row (1)
Louis Lynagh missing out on England's final squad leaves the door open for a move to aus. Surely this would be the time for the Tahs to lay down their cash. No doubt RA would be to willing to help,
could solve the Fullback problem and boost the national stocks

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
It’s not much of a secret that a reason Canberra is so good at developing players is because there’s bugger all to do but train.
Canberra get the unconnected and overlooked of NSW & QLD. Moving to Canberra you are truely dedicated to your rugby and have a determination to succeed.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
So you think the Reds & Tahs would do better if they relocated to Caboolture & Griffith respectively?
The unconnected and overlooked from NSW are travelling further than Canberra!

This comment nails it for NSW Rugby and why NSW has a poor history of developing talent.

“The pathways here are not as wide. It’s a very narrow pathway. If you don’t get into Gen Blue [NSW academy] early – into that narrow pathway – that’s it,”

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The unconnected and overlooked from NSW are travelling further than Canberra!

This comment nails it for NSW Rugby and why NSW has a poor history of developing talent.

“The pathways here are not as wide. It’s a very narrow pathway. If you don’t get into Gen Blue [NSW academy] early – into that narrow pathway – that’s it,”

It's not strictly true but it's a reflection of it being a small sport.

The alternative pathway is to play club rugby and get yourself into first grade and impress. Even then it's going to be difficult because you're up against players who are already in the system getting far more coaching and training (who will also be playing club rugby).

It's not a lot different to saying that if you don't get a contract with one of the 5 Super Rugby sides it's hard to be a professional rugby player in Australia.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I mean, this guy got noticed playing club rugby in the UK. Do we know that he wouldn't have been noticed if he was playing club rugby in Sydney.

English Premier Rugby is fully pro. Sydney Premier Rugby would be about second or third tier by comparison.

If Sydney Premier Rugby could get out of the 80s, they'd be smart enough to plan for fully professional comp happening.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just to be clear, the Waratahs aren't Rocky.

they are Apollo Creed v Ivan Drago. All flash and cash and living off past glories....
With no stadium and not many fans left - but they can come back. Coleman to be our Brad thorn and rebuild the tahs to glory. Give it 3 years.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
It's not strictly true but it's a reflection of it being a small sport.
Appreciate the fact that rugby is a small sport and we don’t a have a third tier of any note. However it needs to be addressed that the Waratahs are pathetic at player identification and development. Be it developing a player to international standard or just good solid Super level players to build depth. Would be good to have a hooker like Nic Dolly. Also you may not be able to hold onto them the lure of the overseas pay check is hard to match. However many players have flourish overseas or at other clubs Kellaway, Skelton, Michael Alaalato, Irae Simone.
There is just something wrong with the Waratah culture and structure. Given the resources, biggest city in Australia and New Zealand and just one Super Rugby title, it should be a case study in how not to run a professional sporting organisation.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I mean, this guy got noticed playing club rugby in the UK. Do we know that he wouldn't have been noticed if he was playing club rugby in Sydney.
Because he was noticed as a junior: according to the SMH he was in the NSW Sevens squad. But he was told by a selector that "his work rate was not high enough" to make it into the Waratahs squad.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
To be honest that sounds to me like critical feedback for the player to work on not "you'll never make it." I would think that it is the type of feedback that aspirational players should receive.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
To be honest that sounds to me like critical feedback for the player to work on not "you'll never make it." I would think that it is the type of feedback that aspirational players should receive.

Well, he was aspirational. Presumably he drew his own conclusion. A lot would have depended, not just on the words per se, but the context, the tone, the expression on the selector's face.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's working out great for the Tahs, too.

Therefore, they should stick to that proven recipe for success.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Does that happen? Honest question. I don't know the playing history of all our players. Are there many that come from a primarily club background?

I honestly didn't think so.