• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So by that logic, every theory or thought which is supported by/stated again by someone else on this forum meets the criteria of a meme then.

for something you find so tiresome you’re only giving it more airtime now

Alex Ross (28)
it’s my opinion. We don’t sign a TH and move two good LHs on pretty much to accomodate him. Robbo said he moved to the Force because of the conflict of interest with his dad being the forwards coach. Is Bell better than Robbo now? Probably. Was he then? Not so sure. Yes he’s a good ball runner, thus the NRL interest. Sure he’s a good player, sure he’s got a long career in the game. But everyone else has to serve some sort of apprenticeship to fine tune their game, no matter how much talent and potential they may have. As far as the commentary, every time the scrum collapsed on his side, it was somehow someone else’s fault; TH, hooker, locks, turf. Replacement comes on, no scrum issues. Like I say, my opinion. Not saying he’s not good, just that he had a bit of a rails ride to get to where he probably would have gotten to anyways. Weather that was Tahs mismanagement or nepotism is up to the individuals perception.
Tom Robertson moved on because of Tom Robertson. Not once did Bell start ahead of him.
He had an issue with the father son dynamic. It was not the father son dynamic creating an issue.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thanks for the advice, great tip.
C9A78E87-77A6-492E-8692-869183546245.jpeg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
it’s my opinion. We don’t sign a TH and move two good LHs on pretty much to accomodate him. Robbo said he moved to the Force because of the conflict of interest with his dad being the forwards coach. Is Bell better than Robbo now? Probably. Was he then? Not so sure. Yes he’s a good ball runner, thus the NRL interest. Sure he’s a good player, sure he’s got a long career in the game. But everyone else has to serve some sort of apprenticeship to fine tune their game, no matter how much talent and potential they may have. As far as the commentary, every time the scrum collapsed on his side, it was somehow someone else’s fault; TH, hooker, locks, turf. Replacement comes on, no scrum issues. Like I say, my opinion. Not saying he’s not good, just that he had a bit of a rails ride to get to where he probably would have gotten to anyways. Weather that was Tahs mismanagement or nepotism is up to the individuals perception.
Have to say I see Bell's development along similar lines to you Drew. His form in the U20s against players his own age was almost entirely a reflection of his ball carrying and defensive skills, extra good as they were. His scrummaging was quite poor.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have to say I see Bell's development along similar lines to you Drew. His form in the U20s against players his own age was almost entirely a reflection of his ball carrying and defensive skills, extra good as they were. His scrummaging was quite poor.

I remember one scrum in particular v the Small Blacks, with us having only 7 men, the kiwis feeding about 5m out from our line.
Our scrum destroyed theirs dnd won the ball and penalty. Bell’s scrummaging can’t be that poor considering Nasser was at 3 and Lonergan at 2.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m really looking forward to seeing Bell develop. The front row with he and Slipper at tight head was MUCH better than it had a right to be.

Bell is a star imo.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I get the concern about potential nepotism but at 21 the kid is the second best loose head in the country. Happy to hear alternatives if anyone thinks otherwise. Could he have got a foot in the door - sure. But I’d have to say the Tahs backed the right horse in this case.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I remember one scrum in particular v the Small Blacks, with us having only 7 men, the kiwis feeding about 5m out from our line.
Our scrum destroyed theirs dnd won the ball and penalty. Bell’s scrummaging can’t be that poor considering Nasser was at 3 and Lonergan at 2.
Baby Blacks weren't that flash that year. Set piece struggled against the French and SA. It was a bloody good team though

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I wonder how much effect the lack of Shute Shield this year is going to have on the Waratahs going into next season. For a lot of that squad it will have been a long time since they last played a game of rugby and they didn't get the opportunity to find their confidence at a lower level after a horror season. Combined with the coach and squad changes I'm thinking they might be particularly slow to start.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Could be. It seems a few Rebels kept playing the Brisbane comp. Did the WA and ACT comps continue? Might be why our first hit out is against Two Blues, WH.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I get the concern about potential nepotism but at 21 the kid is the second best loose head in the country. Happy to hear alternatives if anyone thinks otherwise. Could he have got a foot in the door - sure. But I’d have to say the Tahs backed the right horse in this case.
Not that I am suggesting throwing kitchen sink money at him, and with some caution from past flame-outs, the potential upside to a guy of his physical presence at this age and experience is tantalising. Now, let's hope Aus rugby manages him well.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Could be. It seems a few Rebels kept playing the Brisbane comp. Did the WA and ACT comps continue? Might be why our first hit out is against Two Blues, WH.
Yeah, lots of Rebels relocated to Brisbane and were pretty condensed across a few clubs, so they make actually benefit in terms of combinations/cohesion. WA definitely continued, I'm not sure about ACT, but there were a lot more brumbies getting game time with the wallabies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not that I am suggesting throwing kitchen sink money at him, and with some caution from past flame-outs, the potential upside to a guy of his physical presence at this age and experience is tantalising. Now, let's hope Aus rugby manages him well.

It is, I think, really easy to justify enough money to hold him. Not the kitchen sink? Maybe, but I'd head that way. Don't think there are too many current WB and (obvious) future stars at the Waratahs. Bell could be first on the list after Hooper.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NSW Waratahs 2022 Core Playing Squad

Props

Angus Bell (Sydney University), Tiaan Taukipulu (Randwick), Te Tera Faulkner (Southern Districts), Harry Johnson-Holmes (Sydney University), Ruan Smith (Hunter Wildfires)

Hookers
David Porecki (Manly), Tom Horton (Sydney University)

Locks
Max Douglas (Manly), Jed Holloway (Southern Districts), Ned Hanigan (Randwick), Hugh Bokenham (Sydney University)

Backrow
Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco (Southern Districts), Lachie Swinton (Sydney University), Carlo Tizzano (West Harbour), Michael Hooper (Manly), Will Harris (Eastern Suburbs), Hugh Sinclair (Northern Suburbs)

Halves
Jack Grant (Eastern Suburbs), Jake Gordon (Sydney University), Will Harrison (Randwick), Tane Edmed (Eastwood), Ben Donaldson (Randwick)

Centres
Joey Walton (Gordon), Lalakai Foketi (Manly), Izaia Perese (Randwick)

Outside Backs
Mark Nawaqanitawase (Eastwood), Alex Newsome (Eastern Suburbs), James Ramm (Randwick), Triston Reilly (Randwick), Tevita Funa (Western Sydney Two Blues)

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hopefully the few additions and the different coach can be effective in turning things around for us. It's going to be a big year.

The full article on the squad is here - https://nsw.rugby/news/nsw-waratahs-unveil-2022-super-rugby-pacific-squad-20211121

Has anyone heard anything about the 2 December trials? DC has stated there's an inter-squad match and a match against the Rebels, but I haven't seen anything out of the club about them. Will fans be allowed or will they be closed door events?