• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Am I missing something with only 2 hookers?
“We are looking to finalise our roster in the coming months as we still have couple of positions still up for grabs with a number of promising club players pressing their claims in our extended training squad.”

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Am I missing something with only 2 hookers?
Yeah, very light on - 2 hookers, 2 half backs and 1 of the 4 locks isn't available until May. For comparison this is only 30 players (29 while Hanigan is still in Japan), where as the Force have named 36, the Reds, Brumbies and Drua 35, and the Rebels 32.

Given this was released in an article with all of the super rugby pacific squads for this year I'm guessing it's some sort of deadline for full squad registration, but there's nothing to stop them adding players later. It may just effect things like finals availability if those players come from outside of the broader system and don't play enough games, which is unlikely to be an issue for the tahs.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looks like the list on the rugby.com.au article is much larger- 37 players in total:

Michael Hooper has been nominated for World Rugby Men's 15s Player of the Year

NSW Waratahs

Props: Angus Bell, Tiaan Taukipulu, Te Tera Faulkner, Harry Johnson-Holmes, Ruan Smith, Archer Holz

Hookers: David Porecki, Tom Horton

Locks: Max Douglas, Jed Holloway, Ned Hanigan, Hugh Bokenham, Jeremy Williams

Backrow: Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco, Lachie Swinton, Carlo Tizzano, Michael Hooper, Will Harris, Hugh Sinclair, Charlie Gamble, Langi Gleeson

Halfbacks: Jack Grant, Jake Gordon, Henry Robertson

Flyhalves: Will Harrison, Tane Edmed, Ben Donaldson

Centres: Joey Walton, Lalakai Foketi, Izaia Perese, Mosese Tuipulotu

Outside Backs: Mark Nawaqanitawase, Alex Newsome, James Ramm, Triston Reilly, Tevita Funa, Dylan Pietsch

IN: Ruan Smith, Jed Holloway, Ned Hanigan, Michael Hooper, Tevita Funa, Dylan Pietsch, Archer Holz, Hugh Bokenham

OUT: Robbie Abel, Chris Talakai, Jack Whetton, Sam Caird, Sam Wykes,Jack Dempsey, Tepai Moeroa, Jack Maddocks, Joe Cotton, Chris Tatola

Still only 2 hookers though...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby Australia distributed lists last which seem to have included a wider squad?

RA includes Moses Tuipulotu whereas the Tahs don't (and have only named 8 centres/outside backs)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This whole conversation seems to be ignoring the fact that Angus Bell is clearly already in the top two LHPs in the country (the the other guy being 32 and our most capped ever prop) and has massive potential.

It has been obvious since the under 20s that he was going to be a star and was clearly a priority for the Waratahs long term over Robertson. That doesn't change the fact that Robertson was selected in front on him in Robertson's final year with the Tahs.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Behind closed doors, probably due to avoid having to implement any covid safe crowd protocols still in place that week and ensure minimal risk to playing group should their be a transmission so close to Christmas.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This whole conversation seems to be ignoring the fact that Angus Bell is clearly already in the top two LHPs in the country (the the other guy being 32 and our most capped ever prop) and has massive potential.

It has been obvious since the under 20s that he was going to be a star and was clearly a priority for the Waratahs long term over Robertson. That doesn't change the fact that Robertson was selected in front on him in Robertson's final year with the Tahs.

What? We can never have too many props? Beers are always on you, Will.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m happy for Beale to return, he might be past his best but what Australian rugby is lacking is characters and staples like Beale.

just look at the NRL and guys like Benji Marshall, I think it’s a positive influence.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I’m happy for Beale to return, he might be past his best but what Australian rugby is lacking is characters and staples like Beale.

just look at the NRL and guys like Benji Marshall, I think it’s a positive influence.
Yeah apparently he was very popular with his team mates before he left. Good influences in a young squad is good

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Beale was mostly solid for the WBs. I don't have a problem with him being considered. I completely understand the Tahs wanting him in a re-build phase.

Personally I cut the enthusiasm short of RA top up. He isn't that good these days. If he wants a chance to fight for the WBs from a domestic team, great. If he's chasing money France is a great spot for him.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So, this will generate some heat for the GAGR servers, if it happens:

I was not devastated with Beale leaving but equally ok if they sign him as there is not exactly an abundance of talent for the tahs to easily sign up.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Part of the Tahs problem these past few years has been the lack of experience. Guys like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Newsome, etc went from being rookies to the teams leaders overnight. A few of the older heads returning will definitely round out the squad well and hopefully nurture some of the young talent we have.