• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Tahs Final trial team v Reds announced with a few names missing completely.... Ruan Smith, RWV, Tizzano, Porecki, Nawaqa, James Grant the stand outs not named.....

Jimmy 'the jet' Turner named in the starters..... Trial form rewarded and a good Shute shield recruit story, may even be on track to snag a wing spot for next week, with Jamie Roberts to get some minutes off the bench.

273706492_10159111492337144_2467599850924133228_n.jpg

alanpartridge

Frank Row (1)
Shocked by the complete omission of Tizzano. Some real concern that he's on the outer - I at least haven't heard anything about an injury. Too much potential not to be getting game time.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Shocked by the complete omission of Tizzano. Some real concern that he's on the outer - I at least haven't heard anything about an injury. Too much potential not to be getting game time.

Different coaches look for different things in a player. It is possible the guys being picked have offered a balance that Coleman prefers, especially considering Tizzano will end up likely out of the 23 once Hooper returns. Maybe it's about building continuity with the players he knows will still be there at the back end of the year, and Tizzano hasn't done enough in pre-season to absolutely demand selection.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed. I like Gamble, not as much impact as Tizzano, but always seems to be involved. Don’t know much of Silk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I’ll name names… it was @Brumby Runner
Guilty as charged M'Lud.

In my defence, I didn't realise so many Tahs' fans suffered from collective guilt complex, Yeronna, to the extent they would see it necessary to continue the denials across something like the average number of points they scored in SR2021, ie about 6 pages.

Anyway, I had the first post, and sincerely hope this is the last on the subject. I now throw myself at the mercy of the Court (of Tahs public opinion). If I am to be banned from entering the hallowed halls of this thread, then so be it. I will just grin and bear it. :p :p ;)

Reactions: TSR

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Agreed. I like Gamble, not as much impact as Tizzano, but always seems to be involved. Don’t know much of Silk
Tizzano brings that intense, brutal style of 7 reminiscent of Phil Waugh whereas Gamble is more the street smart footballer, bit faster, clever and finds himself in the right spot to make a difference, both great young 7's who bring something different. I did read somewhere that Tizzano was a bit on the outer, but no media updates from the Tahs to explain who's out of action, being rested or just on the outer......

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyway, I had the first post, and sincerely hope this is the last on the subject. I now throw myself at the mercy of the Court (of Tahs public opinion). If I am to be banned from entering the hallowed halls of this thread, then so be it. I will just grin and bear it

There's a thread for Brumbies fans. Both of you.

alanpartridge

Frank Row (1)
Different coaches look for different things in a player. It is possible the guys being picked have offered a balance that Coleman prefers, especially considering Tizzano will end up likely out of the 23 once Hooper returns. Maybe it's about building continuity with the players he knows will still be there at the back end of the year, and Tizzano hasn't done enough in pre-season to absolutely demand selection.
All reasonable points! Interesting, though, when so many other players have been given game time during the trials that he has had zero minutes in pre-season. After topping the tackle count in Super Rugby AU last year, I'm amazed the coaching staff don't even want to take a look at him...

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
On Tizzano, there is some evidence he may be on the outer or at least might have slipped down the pecking order on the basis of attitude:

Carlo Tizzano, the brash openside flanker who ruffled feathers when he first arrived at the Waratahs in 2020 and soon after declared he wanted Michael Hooper’s No.7 jersey, was one of the youngsters where the pointed message was directed.

“It wasn’t directed just as Carlo,” Coleman says. “It was a few-fold. Players, when things aren’t quite going right, they potentially look to externalise what the reasons are (for their shortcomings) and Carlo had been vocal a bit about our faculties, saying the temporary ones weren’t good. So I hit that on the head pretty quickly and said, ‘We’ve got what we’ve got. Rocky beat Ivan Drago training out of a barn. We’ve got a field, we’ve got a gym, we’ve got everything we need to be successful, it’s not the facility.’

“We were looking over at the new facility getting built and we spoke about how cool that will be when it’s done, but unless you aim up in ‘22 you won’t be there in ‘23.

“It wasn’t directed just at Carlo that he won’t be there in ‘23, it was more, let’s get on with what we’ve got and work hard and I don’t want to hear anymore chat about facilities and I don’t want you thinking about the new facility because if you’re thinking about that, you probably won’t get there.”

It's maybe not massive, but it's worth noting that while Coleman says it's not directed just at him names Tizzano twice and no one else. Not much, but at least enough to give Gamble a good opportunity to have pushed passed him in the pecking order.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Have heard nothing about injury - not surprising given the news machine at Daceyville is hardly firing flat out - but haven't seen him thus far.
I thought there was a short mention in one article about how Coleman was laying down the law at training, he name-checked Tizzano as someone who'd complained about the temporary facilities they're in - but I can't find the link now.

EDIT: Too fast for me, Wilson.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
"It wasn't directed just at Carlo" is the polite way of saying - Carlo blew up about our shit gym, before anyone else could get involved I told him to shuttup because you currently aren't going to be here in 2023 so you may as well enjoy what we have.

What sort of player cracks it over training facilities when they're playing Super Rugby? This isn't the EPL, he's not rushing around in his Lambo and eating at Michelin star restaurants every night. He's a fringe squad member who's spot will be taken once Hoops returns. No wonder he's on the outer with management.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
"It wasn't directed just at Carlo" is the polite way of saying - Carlo blew up about our shit gym, before anyone else could get involved I told him to shuttup because you currently aren't going to be here in 2023 so you may as well enjoy what we have.

What sort of player cracks it over training facilities when they're playing Super Rugby? This isn't the EPL, he's not rushing around in his Lambo and eating at Michelin star restaurants every night. He's a fringe squad member who's spot will be taken once Hoops returns. No wonder he's on the outer with management.

To be fair, Waratahs current facilities are absolute garbage and most club/teams have better facilities.

Yes they are getting new ones built and I’ve been out there and had a look, but the current demountable were supposed to be a short term temporary solution that instead turned into 3 years.

That been said, you’re right as a fringe player you should shut your mouth and let the senior players do the talking on issue like that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Regardless if Tizzano is a bit on the outer, I find it hard to believe that he's effectively being blackballed after being the starter in pretty much every game last season.

Surely he's not healthy and getting zero game time in the trial games. It wouldn't make any sense.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Given all squad and extended squad played vs Two Blues etc, suggests Carlo is more likely injured as you would have him ahead of Tom Silk who is a relative newcomer training with the squad, no offence intended.