• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
This is why I miss the nrc as I don’t get to see the next generation of talent come though and shine. As nick chan showed in trials some
Promise and hence would love to see him in nrc whilst nrc would benefit other players like Marky n…bring back the nrc
Can’t afford it.
I think all Super Rugby players should go back to their clubs after Super Rugby and boost that level somehow.
There is no loyalty or tribalism with these made up teams such as Sydney Rays etc.
I don’t think anyone really knows how to create this level actually.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can’t afford it.
I think all Super Rugby players should go back to their clubs after Super Rugby and boost that level somehow.
There is no loyalty or tribalism with these made up teams such as Sydney Rays etc.
loyalty and tribalism doesn't aid player development.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
loyalty and tribalism doesn't aid player development.
Loyalty and tribalism is pretty much a dinosaur anyway with the players. Every year in the major comps there's a s.load of player movement. I agree that supporters are loyal and tribal though, but as Reg said, that doesn't help player development

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s only NSW that had an issue with getting into the NRC teams as a development platform. More than that, actively and adversarially looked to take down the NRC. If Sydney rugby can’t grow up, rugby has a tough time ahead across all of Australia.

We all pay for Sydney pretensions.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
By Sydney, dru, read Shute Shield, I don't think it's fair to brand the rest of Sydney rugby with that (subbies, juniors).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can’t afford it.
That is a disaster option as nz has npc to develop players and what we offer our pro non wallabies club rugby? And we wonder why the gap between oz and kiwi teams is widening

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Loyalty and tribalism is pretty much a dinosaur anyway with the players. Every year in the major comps there's a s.load of player movement. I agree that supporters are loyal and tribal though, but as Reg said, that doesn't help player development
Maybe we don’t have so many new teams but have oz super rugby sides + Fiji play, plus u20s plus NSW country and qld teams in a super rugby au Comp at end of season minus their wallabies and where best club players drafted in to fill those gaps.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
By Sydney, dru, read Shute Shield, I don't think it's fair to brand the rest of Sydney rugby with that (subbies, juniors).

Agreed. I have used “Sydney” meaning SRU, and note that not all SS clubs necessarily support the approach.

still, we all pay

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Can’t afford it.
But those guys are only going to go where there’s a game. When Super Rugby ends it’s close to club finals, why would someone play for a club that won’t make the finals? I’d rather these guys play club now and play with the non international Super Rugby in an NRC during the international season. Finances may be an issue, but that’s what I’d like to see.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It’s only NSW that had an issue with getting into the NRC teams as a development platform. More than that, actively and adversarially looked to take down the NRC. If Sydney rugby can’t grow up, rugby has a tough time ahead across all of Australia.

We all pay for Sydney pretensions.
Agreed. NSW have just put in teams of understudy’s who are on their books, take Gen Blue and the A team, shuffle them up, have them play. It’s not a carrot for anyone playing SS to aim for the NRC (when it existed) as it was a closed shop.
The other issue is that come finals, the blokes who played all year to get their team to the finals suddenly have to go down a grade or two to accomodate the non Wob Super Rugby players. Which isn’t fair on the players dropped either.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
275057243_10159148840632144_3752988035058719754_n.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
true, but playing rugby does

these Super Rugby units don't need to be in full time training until November, doing extras sure, but they need more rugby

This is the issue though. The club rugby season doesn't have long left when Super Rugby finishes. Generally the Shute Shield finishes in late August. A competition through September and October is pretty important.

We need rugby going alongside The Rugby Championship for these players to play in. There's a whole swathe of players who don't get a huge amount of rugby during the Super Rugby season because they're not a starting XV player but they are in the matchday 23 or close to it so they don't regularly get to play Shute Shield.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This is the issue though. The club rugby season doesn't have long left when Super Rugby finishes. Generally the Shute Shield finishes in late August. A competition through September and October is pretty important.

We need rugby going alongside The Rugby Championship for these players to play in. There's a whole swathe of players who don't get a huge amount of rugby during the Super Rugby season because they're not a starting XV player but they are in the matchday 23 or close to it so they don't regularly get to play Shute Shield.
And until we do, send them to the NPC, anywhere they can get quality rugby and a game each weekend

I agree re the lack of units turning out for the SS, if the aren't in the match "25", with no "a" game, get them 80 minutes in SS

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And until we do, send them to the NPC, anywhere they can get quality rugby and a game each weekend

I agree re the lack of units turning out for the SS, if the aren't in the match "25", with no "a" game, get them 80 minutes in SS
The decline of Oz rugby video and mention of how celtic nations had success in 6 nations partly due to moving to pro 14 competition and having 31 games per season - vs whole lot less those who play for oz super rugby sides who don't play for wallabies vs NZ who has NPC....bring back the nrc please......create a heinkin cup equivalent...as lack of games compared to even league is ridiculous

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't think there is any issue of the players not involved in the Super Rugby fixture being made available for Shute Shield.

The issue is if you're playing a Saturday night game, if you're in the 25 you're not playing Shute Shield that afternoon.

If you play away that weekend in most locations, even if it's a Friday night game, you're also not playing Shute Shield on Saturday afternoon.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The decline of Oz rugby video and mention of how celtic nations had success in 6 nations partly due to moving to pro 14 competition and having 31 games per season - vs whole lot less those who play for oz super rugby sides who don't play for wallabies vs NZ who has NPC....bring back the nrc please......create a heinkin cup equivalent...as lack of games compared to even league is ridiculous
I still think a NRC based around two sides being provided by each Super Rugby side is the most logical approach

Direct pathways, larger fringe squads, assistant coaches get to coach - they could even both play double headers each week when they aren't playing eachother

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I still think a NRC based around two sides being provided by each Super Rugby side is the most logical approach

Direct pathways, larger fringe squads, assistant coaches get to coach - they could even both play double headers each week when they aren't playing eachother
It's what I like as a goal, but I just don't think there's enough talent for Melbourne and potentially Perth and even Canberra to fill their two sides. If it's fully pro then they could bring players in from around the country, but there isn't enough money for that.

At this point running it as Super AU (without wallabies players) + the Drua looks achievable - it offers improved development outcomes, could see pro squad sizes increase within reason and at least offers some amount of "tribalism" or whatever it is people feel they didn't get out of the NRC. It's not ideal but right now we just need to get something off the ground.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Its hard to argue that the NRC aided player development when the history of the NRC basically aligns with Aus Super Rugby teams being far worse than they've ever been from 2016 onwards. No evidence that the 6 years of NRC had a positive effect on the Super Rugby teams or the Wallabies if you compare it to any 5-6 six year period without it.