• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hopefully “motivated to be back in Sydney” means the same for him as it did for Roberts. I.e. CHEAP!
Gotta hope so mate. Surely, the Tahs seem to be all pulling in the same direction at the moment organisationally.

Does anyone know if Roberts has stayed in Sydney? I know he married a Northern Beaches girl. I know I'd rather be a Dr in Newport NSW than Newport in Wales.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm seeing him as bench cover only, however if Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) gets the 15 gig that may change.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You guys have a pretty handy team coming together. Some very astute pick ups. I'd say on paper best team going around next year. Shame there's injury clouds hanging around some of your best. Few unsigned people but no announcements about them leaving. I also have Gleeson over Harris.

1. Bell
2. Latu
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Holloway
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Pietsch
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Beale
16. Porecki
17. Tauakipulu
18. Holz
19. Sinclair
20. Harris/Gamble/Warren-Vosayaco
21. Goddard
22. Edmed
23. Nadolo

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Swinton's injury could have Harris back in the starting team. Archer Holz was very good this year as well and I'm very comfortable with him starting if HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is still getting back full fitness.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The signings of the three old age pensioners, Beale, Latu and Nadolo, doesn't fill me with much joy. If there's ever a window for the Tahs to win the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) it'd have to be next year; that trio, surely, won't be world-beaters in 2024. I would've been much happier to see the Tahs snag a decent second-rower, or two, while cultivating some of the up-and-coming under 25s rather than go down the geriatric path.

There's a precedent for grabbing mature players: Roberts in 2023. Probably good for the younger players to learn from at training but didn't contribute much on the paddock. Neither did Moeroa when similarly signed in 2020.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm seeing him as bench cover only, however if Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) gets the 15 gig that may change.
He is going to be an impact player, to be a starter he has to lost much weight. I hope he's in contact with the Tahs nutritionist, there's a lot of time to get fit for next season.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Hopefully “motivated to be back in Sydney” means the same for him as it did for Roberts. I.e. CHEAP!
We'll know that if he's the same porky as his last games in Leicester. If he loses weight will be a good first sign

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The signings of the three old age pensioners, Beale, Latu and Nadolo, doesn't fill me with much joy. If there's ever a window for the Tahs to win the (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) super rugby pacific) it'd have to be next year; that trio, surely, won't be world-beaters in 2024. I would've been much happier to see the Tahs snag a decent second-rower, or two, while cultivating some of the up-and-coming under 25s than go down the geriatric path.

There's a precedent for grabbing mature players: Roberts in 2023. Probably good for the younger players to learn from at training but didn't contribute much on the paddock. Neither did Moeroa when similarly signed in 2020.
Latu is 29 he is younger than Porecki.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Latu has a LOT of miles on the clock, considerably more than Porecki.

Last edited:

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Really only need a serviceable LH to sit behind Bell and an XXL lock to complete the roster.

Would love one of the Brumbies NSW locks to come across.... any of Frost, Neville and Hooper (all NSW born and bred) Bloody warehousing if you ask me............. although we've probably got one too many young flyhalves.... ;)

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd like to see him stay on the Wing for now and keep developing. Donaldson, Harrison and Beale can play 15.
beale will probably start with harrison cruelled by the injury this year, and him coming back from bench to 15 makes sense. itd be a big ask to have him put his hand up for rwc off limited game time.

donaldson is definitely shaping up as a 10/15, but given the wobs roster would like to see him get more time at 10. edmed did well this year, but in the A's donaldson looked more assured to me.

nadolo is the new roberts flavour, but with added punch and more try scoing capability.

getting a lock will have us with a tidy roster without breaking the bank, which i cant see us aiming for next season given recent financial results.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
According DC, Nadolo is motivated to earn a spot for the next WC in Fiji's squad. I hope so, he needs to get fit again. Just in order to make clear that he has to lose weight lol

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
beale will probably start with harrison cruelled by the injury this year, and him coming back from bench to 15 makes sense. itd be a big ask to have him put his hand up for rwc off limited game time.

donaldson is definitely shaping up as a 10/15, but given the wobs roster would like to see him get more time at 10. edmed did well this year, but in the A's donaldson looked more assured to me.

nadolo is the new roberts flavour, but with added punch and more try scoing capability.

getting a lock will have us with a tidy roster without breaking the bank, which i cant see us aiming for next season given recent financial results.
Agree. Good write up.

Donaldson shows skills at times that you don't coach and can win you a match. Will be interesting to see how it plays out but the Tahs are definitely in a good position across the playmakers.

They have signed and retained fairly well and I want them not to overreach on someone that can restrict you in later seasons.

Maybe post RWC they could pick up an established 2nd rower that can hold it down while they develop others....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Edmed/Beale/Donaldson to rotate around 10/15/22 all season. That's quality. Nadolo will probably stay at 23 all season.

Pietsch/Mark wingers. Foketi/Perese centres. Gordon/Goddard 9/21. A million backrowers.

Just need a reserve LHP and big TH lock, and it's a title-contending squad.

Obviously, quite a few injuries heading into the season with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Perese and Swinton however who all might miss the start.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Edmed/Beale/Donaldson to rotate around 10/15/22 all season. That's quality. Nadolo will probably stay at 23 all season.

Pietsch/Mark wingers. Foketi/Perese centres. Gordon/Goddard 9/21. A million backrowers.

Just need a reserve LHP and big TH lock, and it's a title-contending squad.

Obviously, quite a few injuries heading into the season with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Perese and Swinton however who all might miss the start.
Dont rate Harrison or just don't think he will get a look in next season

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Dont rate Harrison or just don't think he will get a look in next season
I think he has good skills and a sound base but would be behind Donaldson, Edmed, Beale for the 10/15 spot currently.

Bit similar to Jake McIntyre and Andrew Deegan but we'll see.

No thought has gone into this clearly but would they ever move a bloke into becoming a Halfback that can cover 10? Heard them say how Jack Van Poortvliet for England was a 10. You could tell when he kicked the ball and ran.