• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
So best player in Shute shield off to Japan. Says allot about DC connection with club rugby. Unless of course your his brother and coach a side to miss finals and get best coach. ?? Surely manlys form turnaround slightly more warranted
This is garbage. You can't say Douglas is any better than Holloway, Sinclair or Hanigan. For his brother getting coach of the year, I think it was a pretty fair call. Newcastle were cellar dwellers last year to now winning half of their games and having a better win/ loss than Easts despite their war chest of Tahs.....

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
And Manly are dragging themselves into the finals. Early season wins have got them to where they are but they have lost 5 in a row leading into finals and the last win was Southern Districts....

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
So best player in Shute shield off to Japan. Says allot about DC connection with club rugby. Unless of course your his brother and coach a side to miss finals and get best coach. ?? Surely manlys form turnaround slightly more warranted
I thought Zak Beer from Norths was going to win that award. I am not sure about the Manly' form turnaround. They are on a 5 game losing streak and it could be 7 losses to finish the season if they don't find their mojo quickly. I think the turnaround of the Two Blues is also more significant than the Manly turnaround.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought Zak Beer from Norths was going to win that award. I am not sure about the Manly' form turnaround. They are on a 5 game losing streak and it could be 7 losses to finish the season if they don't find their mojo quickly. I think the turnaround of the Two Blues is also more significant than the Manly turnaround.
Zak Beer is assumed to do a good job so it doesn't get noticed. Think MVP awards in leagues like the NBA, NFL etc... hot flash thing wins it in the moment whilst there are consistents you could argue deserve it every year. Zak keeps getting results and teams around the world will be very aware

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Charlie Gamble is back for Easts. The Woodies have lost some of their irreplaceable talent (Boon and Tom Murphy) for the season. Which will be pretty short.

Easts by plenty.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Eastwood are narrow favourites. You should put your money where your mouth is!
Favourites? Who frames the market? Maybe they missed the last game we played at Woollahra. The game was all over after 20 minutes. What has changed since then? We have lost our captain Tom Murphy for the season, and our only tall lock (Cameron Boon).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Favourites? Who frames the market? Maybe they missed the last game we played at Woollahra. The game was all over after 20 minutes. What has changed since then? We have lost our captain Tom Murphy for the season, and our only tall lock (Cameron Boon).

The bookies?

I'm thinking very little goes into the starting prices for something like the Shute Shield as I'm sure the betting pool is tiny.

I'm assuming they've gone 5 vs 8 so 5 is favourite but not by a lot because Easts trajectory has improved.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
This is garbage. You can't say Douglas is any better than Holloway, Sinclair or Hanigan. For his brother getting coach of the year, I think it was a pretty fair call. Newcastle were cellar dwellers last year to now winning half of their games and having a better win/ loss than Easts despite their war chest of Tahs.....
Hunter finished 9th in 21 same as 22
Parra 13th in 21 10th in 22
Manly 11th 21 4th in 22

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They didn't hand out the awards last year so potentially they're looking at how well Hunter has done in both seasons compared to expectations.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Hunter knocked off a load of the better sides at home this season, it was a marked improvement
Fair enough 2020 to 2023
Hunter 11th to 9th
Two blues 12th to 10th
Manly 9th to 4th

every which way manly biggest gains in standings

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Fair enough 2020 to 2023
Hunter 11th to 9th
Two blues 12th to 10th
Manly 9th to 4th

every which way manly biggest gains in standings
Not sure about every which way. The biggest improvers in 2022 were the Two Blues. They won 2 games in 3 seasons (2019-2021). They won 7 this year. Manly had a couple of tough seasons in the 2 COVID impacted years but had been one of the best regular season teams for the decade or so before that.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
16304cf41ded75d297794e5850ad0144.jpg