• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Alex Ross (28)
Not aiming to win?
I respect his realism. Last year went from winless to 6th. This year aiming for top 4. I like the build.
I think topping the Aus contingent would be a good goal. Reds have been cut down without Tupou. Brumbies have lost a few important players and will also be hit hardest by resting protocols with the most regular Wallabies. Could be a good year to be a Tah supporter.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I agree, it is shaping up to be a great year to be a Tah's supporter.

"Aiming" for top 4, just sounds a bit lame to me. I understand the realism, maybe he "believes" we will be in the top 4, and "aiming" for the win. Semantics.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Max needs to mature quite a bit physically. There's no doubt he's got loads of rugby ability, but ATM that ability's somewhat in front of his body. He's awfully slight for super rugby.
How much does he weigh? He's like our Jock Campbell lol At least he's younger so he can gain weight

f5dc239d58e5b34eb85ac12b12c1c526-jpeg.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Top 4 includes #1.
If he says he's aiming to win then we get 4 pages of "derka der" shitting on him. I think top 4 is realistic. But chuck in some crucial injuries and it could be anything.
I agree, don't know why, and I over this side of ditch, but I just get feeling Tahs are going to be a real threat over next few years. I know even listening to podcasts etc a few in rugby have said same around here. I agree first thing any team has to aim for is really playoffs, then top semis etc. And to aim for top 4 at start of season is where most would aim, because as you say Cyclo it also involves #1.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tahs have the strongest backline in the Oz conference on paper. And their pack is pretty damn good too, aside from having no real locks. Which you can get away with more in Super Rugby than test rugby. Injuries will test any Australian squad obviously but they are set up well and should be favorites to top the Aussie Conference absolutely.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How much does he weigh? He's like our Jock Campbell lol At least he's younger so he can gain weight

f5dc239d58e5b34eb85ac12b12c1c526-jpeg.jpg
I think Max's ceiling is far above Campbell. I know you are talking about his build but with the skills he's shown at points so far size won't be a deal breaker in his future. He has the ability to play past his size. Damien McKenzie is listed at 175cm and 81kg. I don't know how tall Max is but he looks like he could comfortably weight 85-90kg when he fills out. I know it's not a guarantee but his Dad is listed as being 6ft and 93kg in his playing days....

Exciting prospect but if we see him in a Tahs Jersey this year we are in trouble in my opinion. He will benefit from as I've spouted before from U20s and Shute Shield games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tahs have the strongest backline in the Oz conference on paper. And their pack is pretty damn good too, aside from having no real locks. Which you can get away with more in Super Rugby than test rugby. Injuries will test any Australian squad obviously but they are set up well and should be favorites to top the Aussie Conference absolutely.
I will add Reg, was reading an article where Coleman talking about how he thinks next season will go etc. Have to say I struck me as a sensible fella, and we know he can coach a bit too, so I will find it quite esy to support the tahs, (against non NZ teams of course) and that's saying something for someone who lived and supported Reds for 20 odd years!!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think Max's ceiling is far above Campbell. I know you are talking about his build but with the skills he's shown at points so far size won't be a deal breaker in his future. He has the ability to play past his size. Damien McKenzie is listed at 175cm and 81kg. I don't know how tall Max is but he looks like he could comfortably weight 85-90kg when he fills out. I know it's not a guarantee but his Dad is listed as being 6ft and 93kg in his playing days....

Exciting prospect but if we see him in a Tahs Jersey this year we are in trouble in my opinion. He will benefit from as I've spouted before from U20s and Shute Shield games.

has he picked his club yet?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Top 4 includes #1.
If he says he's aiming to win then we get 4 pages of "derka der" shitting on him. I think top 4 is realistic. But chuck in some crucial injuries and it could be anything.
Fitness of the front row will be key I think. We more or less have depth everywhere else, particularly in the back row.

Actually just props. I rate our three hooker options. But if Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) go down for significant periods we'll struggle.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fitness of the front row will be key I think. We more or less have depth everywhere else, particularly in the back row.

Actually just props. I rate our three hooker options. But if Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) go down for significant periods we'll struggle.
Hooper Bell Holloway will be given plenty of rest too I suspect.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Actually just props. I rate our three hooker options. But if Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) go down for significant periods we'll struggle.
Faulkner and Holz aren't the worst backups in Australia...(reds are doomed). Lambert has an ok CV and the development THP is Tauakipulu who has been around the squad a couple years now developing.