• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting. I think they always pump them up 5%

Harris and Swinton it will benefit but I do have concerns if Gamble is 109kg that his movement stays the same.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
interesting concept. Might be fine for the Brumbies first up where bulk will be a big factor.

Drua round 2 might be a bit different but definitely manageable but the Drua will be an unknown quantity again this year.

They won't be run off their feet by the Rebels either in Rnd 3 but you'd hope their fitness was ready for when Rnd 4 rolls around and they face the Canes, then the Chiefs, then the Crusaders

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Now we are the Bodybuilders Waratahs

I want to see those big bodies crushing Kiwis around the park

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
A quote from the rugby.com.au article makes me incredibly nervous.

“Our school of thought is we’ll play ourselves into fitness rather than planning around it being all ready for round one.” :eek::oops:o_O
Also from Paytons article in the SMH…

“It is a gamble because gains in one area can come at the cost of the other, although added size is a safer bet in the modern game because of the amount of stoppage time.”

As a spectator, that is the biggest blight on the game. The amount of stoppages is killing it. They need to get rid of injury stoppages, unless it’s scrum time or a broken leg, water breaks, repeated scrum resets… the game should be faster. Third umpire rulings should be viewed in real time and only alert the referee of the infringement if it is necessary like football does. Rave,rave rave!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a spectator, that is the biggest blight on the game. The amount of stoppages is killing it. They need to get rid of injury stoppages, unless it’s scrum time or a broken leg, water breaks, repeated scrum resets… the game should be faster. Third umpire rulings should be viewed in real time and only alert the referee of the infringement if it is necessary like football does. Rave,rave rave!

I agree and it is worse at the elite level than anywhere else.

The problem is that it's largely a player issue that needs to be fixed. I don't see how else you can fix it. A referee can't judge if someone is injured. You can't make a decision that a player isn't injured enough to require play not to be restarted. Players are the only ones that can stop going down for some sort of injury to delay the restart of play.

I agree that World Rugby really need to speed up the TMO process. Clear guidelines around the onfield decision trumping the TMO unless there is clear evidence to overturn it. Clear evidence should be clear. If you can't see it in a couple of replays then you go with the onfield decision. You don't end up with a better situation after watching 15 replays of the same thing.

In terms of foul play I definitely advocate for something that is at least a yellow card being done straight away. The TMO then has 10 minutes to go through a thousand replays to work out whether it should be yellow or red. At some stoppage in play the yellow can be confirmed or upgraded to red and you've avoided looking at replays for 3 minutes of where exactly the contact originated etc.

I also think we should just stop the clock for shots at goal after x number of seconds and for any scrum resets. I feel like the actual stoppages are less of an issue than the knowledge of how much game time you are losing with nothing happening.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
re YC vs RC - I would YC them all if it ain't obviously a red on the first replay, so stick them all report and be harsh on the Wednesday review

For the unsure whether the penalty should have been a yellow (the other end of the spectrum), let TMO review it in the back ground and stick it on report if it was missed

but keep the game moving

As to the Tahs S&C making them do some work, it is about time, all the aus teams look underdone physically

A gentle reminder as to how the boks look physically

boks.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A gym photo right after a pump is very different to a normal photo...

There's no way Will Harris is currently 117kg, what a gee up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A gym photo right after a pump is very different to a normal photo...

There's no way Will Harris is currently 117kg, what a gee up.
If we could show that "after a pump" we would, but body fat % is impressive

Will Harris 117kg? it is possible, he is a big boned unit who could carry it,

But putting on 9kgs that quickly? I could do it, by eating like a pig and just fattening up, but putting on 9kgs of muscle over six months?

Well that is highly unlikely without illegal help

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
9kg in 6 months probably equates to about 3kg of muscle and the rest in fat from eating to gain the muscle. If he came out with 9kg of muscle in that period of time would definitely trigger some ASADA eyeballs. He's not a newbie where his body would just pile it on from the initial stimulus.

I hope he legitimately runs out at 112ish and can still run like we've seen.

Whatever plan the Tahs are apparently on can we get it to Nick Frost ASAP?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
re YC vs RC - I would YC them all if it ain't obviously a red on the first replay, so stick them all report and be harsh on the Wednesday review

For the unsure whether the penalty should have been a yellow (the other end of the spectrum), let TMO review it in the back ground and stick it on report if it was missed

I don't think you can gloss over what should be a red card in the match. Why shouldn't the team on the receiving end of the foul play not benefit from the required repercussions?

A yellow card offence doesn't result in a suspension so you'd just be ignoring potential yellow card foul play acts.