• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't mind having him, but he'd be hard pressed to make the 23 ahead Wright, McReight, Uru and Wilson, so I can't see how we could offer him much more than a base contract - he'd basically be filling Tualima's space
Considering Wright's injury run, he's only one spot away from the bench.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
I wouldn't mind having him, but he'd be hard pressed to make the 23 ahead Wright, McReight, Uru and Wilson, so I can't see how we could offer him much more than a base contract - he'd basically be filling Tualima's space
you left out Connor Vest and Keynon Takipulu (?) as well.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Considering Wright's injury run, he's only one spot away from the bench.
Maybe, but there's still a lot of talent in that group outside the 23 - Anderson, Vest, Faifua and Taukipulu, maybe not all as good as Rahboni, but all with more time in the setup and some with different upside - younger, cover lock, etc. It'd be hard to justify much of a contract for him when it's not really an area of weakness. This is probably veering of topic for a tahs thread at this point though.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think he took up another contract, the Two Blues announced him as a signing
I assumed that was just similar to how all Waratah players align with a SS team - ie. the same way they announed Nemani Nadolo but I don't expect to see him running around for them much (if at all). Well, he'll be a great addition for them if they have his services week-in week-out. I'd love to see Two Blues put in a strong performance this year. Western Sydney is such a big catchment to not have a strong rugby presence, especially after the removal of the Emus.

From memory I'm pretty sure he was keen to stay in Sydney due to family so I'm not sure another SuperRugby club is on the cards.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I assumed that was just similar to how all Waratah players align with a SS team - ie. the same way they announed Nemani Nadolo but I don't expect to see him running around for them much (if at all). Well, he'll be a great addition for them if they have his services week-in week-out. I'd love to see Two Blues put in a strong performance this year. Western Sydney is such a big catchment to not have a strong rugby presence, especially after the removal of the Emus.

From memory I'm pretty sure he was keen to stay in Sydney due to family so I'm not sure another SuperRugby club is on the cards.
Emus are still a going concern, or they were in 2022. Now part of the JID comp based in Canberra.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Emus are still a going concern, or they were in 2022. Now part of the JID comp based in Canberra.
That is true. It was great that they were admitted into the JID, that said, a club that has a track record of struggling to win a game isn't going to be the most attractive to upcoming players in what is a competitive sporting market with a bunch of Football (soccer), AFL, Leauge.. etc. clubs as options.
Not in the SS for 2023. How did they go in JID last year?
I don't believe they won a game. Came close in one or two from memory.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
That is true. It was great that they were admitted into the JID, that said, a club that has a track record of struggling to win a game isn't going to be the most attractive to upcoming players in what is a competitive sporting market with a bunch of Football (soccer), AFL, Leauge.. etc. clubs as options.

I don't believe they won a game. Came close in one or two from memory.
Coming close better than cricket scores I guess.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good player, although my memory of him that stands out was in the Under 20's World Cup final, making some poor decisions in not passing when it was on out wide and missing a couple of relatively easy kicks. Junior Wallabies should have won that easily. Not much was mentioned at the time apart from the fact that 'We did really well to go down by only a point in the Final'!
He is definitely a better 15 than a 10, however that won't translate to International level. DC has already penciled him in more as a utility player at the Waratahs. If he had a good pass he would make a great halfback, but too late for that. I suspect he will leave Waratahs to seek a starting 10 spot at the end of this year, as the Waratahs have too many.
I'll bet you 20 internet bragging points he finishes the starting 10?

Donaldson is so average it hurts my soul.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
If he had a good pass he would make a great halfback, but too late for that. I suspect he will leave Waratahs to seek a starting 10 spot at the end of this year, as the Waratahs have too many.
I've always thought this about supposed undersized 10/15s that should be developed in Halfbacks. I remember them trying it with Giteau for about 8 minutes but he didn't want any of it and fair enough when he was a world class back.

I believe Jack Von Poortvliet was a 10 that was turned into a 9 and picked for England by Eddie and looked very good v Aus in the series last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've always thought this about supposed undersized 10/15s that should be developed in Halfbacks. I remember them trying it with Giteau for about 8 minutes but he didn't want any of it and fair enough when he was a world class back.

I believe Jack Von Poortvliet was a 10 that was turned into a 9 and picked for England by Eddie and looked very good v Aus in the series last year.

he actually has the same number of test match starts at 9 as Tate McDermott and more than Chris Whitaker.

I remember him being pretty damn good there.

I also believe Tah coaches were toying with converting Harrison to 9 as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
he actually has the same number of test match starts at 9 as Tate McDermott and more than Chris Whitaker.

I remember him being pretty damn good there.

I also believe Tah coaches were toying with converting Harrison to 9 as well.
I have no doubt he's good there. It's something that should be looked at more IMO

Last edited: