• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
What were your thoughts on Austin Durbridge (no 7). Clearly one they've earmarked for the future. From what I've seen he can resemble a young M Hooper a little when he's got his headgear on, strong over the ball and big work ethic. Early days though.

I was making notes as I went and looking for Durbridge (who was listed as a 6, not 7) because of previous forum comments. Nothing spectacular, he had one excellent run in the second half that came to nothing because of an intercept. I didn't notice anything else except that his binding in a scrum looked a bit peculiar, but as a 7 he's more used to getting off after the 10 than driving up behind the THP as a 6. He certainly didn't look out of place.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
What were your thoughts on Austin Durbridge (no 6). Clearly one they've earmarked for the future. From what I've seen he can resemble a young M Hooper a little when he's got his headgear on, strong over the ball and big work ethic. Early days though.
What club is he linked too for Shute shield

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty impressive for a kid straight out of School with no Club footy.

There’s going to be Back Row spots up for grabs with Swinton moving on at the end of the year. Harris, Hooper, Seu gone. A guy like Silk has a chance to get time this year who’s been around them since Gordon won the SS.

Slack-Smith injured? This would have been a game to see him if fit.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
I was making notes as I went and looking for Durbridge (who was listed as a 6, not 7) because of previous forum comments. Nothing spectacular, he had one excellent run in the second half that came to nothing because of an intercept. I didn't notice anything else except that his binding in a scrum looked a bit peculiar, but as a 7 he's more used to getting off after the 10 than driving up behind the THP as a 6. He certainly didn't look out of place.
Similar thoughts after watching at the ground, different perspective than a camera view (not that I watched the stream) - was expecting more from Durbridge #6; honestly disappointed after the forum chat. Be interesting to see him for Uni Colts at #7 though.

Standout from the U19s crowd for me was Ollie Mccrae. He must have had a rocket up his rear end as I thought he played a blinder with lineout steals and solid hit ups. Ropata useful, but nothing else of note from the other U19s.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Similar thoughts after watching at the ground, different perspective than a camera view (not that I watched the stream) - was expecting more from Durbridge #6; honestly disappointed after the forum chat. Be interesting to see him for Uni Colts at #7 though.

Standout from the U19s crowd for me was Ollie Mccrae. He must have had a rocket up his rear end as I thought he played a blinder with lineout steals and solid hit ups. Ropata useful, but nothing else of note from the other U19s.
I agree on McCrae (5). He picked up a very important lineout steal with the Pasifica boys hot on attack inside the 22 in the second half.

I want to clarify my comment on Durbridge. I thought he had an OK to good game without being a total standout. He's pretty young so worth watching out for.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)

Durbridge is only a teenager who has just completed his HSC and now competing against men.

Good player but He is no Joseph Sua’ali’i as everyone makes him out to be. His time will come. Wish him all the best.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Leahy played with Uni last year while signed with the Force. If you aren't in the Super Rugby squad and not going to play Super Rugby this year I think it makes sense to let a kid live in their home city and play Club Footy. Especially when the standard is higher. I'm sure he'll spend some time in Perth he just needs to play as much good footy as possible.

After watching the U19s Super Rugby he's one from the 18s that is a chance of pushing into a wider squad for the Junior World Cup. Ability to cover Centres and Fullback so well is rare.

Last edited:

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Uni must be really pissed about last years colts effort and gone hard on the recruiting.
To name a few, they would be edging towards the 40 points Cap for 1st Colts in 2024

Jackson Stiel
Byrne Edwards
Joey Fowler
Dan Nelson
Darcey Forgarty
Lipina Ata
Austin Durbridge
Nacani Batidravu
Boston Fakafanua
Jacob Veiru