• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How do you feel about two big losses with their marquee players featuring in both?

View attachment 18193
Apprehensive, but a few of those "marquees" have been living on historical highlights for quite a while and have reverted to military medium squaddies

The biggest challenge to me is that I have no idea what the game plan is from watching them play and it continually comes down to individuals having a good moment to keep them in the game rather than a "plan"/structure

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd say they create a lot of pressure and pile on points the back end of halves. They make you work and work to keep up and then you eventually break.

Waratahs weren't doing that. We hope from minute 3 that the play will go through you.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
LOL@ this PM:

If you have an opinion, post it on the public forii.

Don't take the cowards route and go snarky PM.

ps on 2nd thoughts, my trolldar is fritzing out a wee bit mentally on this "Coleman Rees" login.....
There's been a bit of that lately amongst the new members, really disappointing to see what the internet is coming to.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
How do you feel about two big losses with their marquee players featuring in both?

View attachment 18193
You are right, a strong team on paper. We don't know how the coach approached the trial and what instructions to the players and what the coach may have been trying in real match (that doesn't count). Someone suggested the warm up may have been extreme to test fatigue.

Concerning that they lost both matches by reasonable margins. I am sure Darren Coleman was expecting better.

I think they won the second half vs the Reds -so it would seem a better defensive performance in the second half

I will be interested to see who is favorite at the bookies for rd 1. Reds should be. Tahs might be extra good value

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm very disappointed by what I've seen, but not writing the season off before we get to the big dance.
By bug dance, I'm assuming Round 1 where we bow out ungracefully?

Sorry, It's hard to not be pessimistic! I'm also waiting for Rd 1, but really, I'd say we should have a rough idea by Rd 4 - 5

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm expecting the Tahs to come out firing by Rd 1, they've had a pretty stable squad past 2 years and are looking relatively healthy on the injury front.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah but the squad is bad, though.
Is it though, there's a couple of monsters in the forward pack with Bell and Gleeson. I'm not tracking who is injured at the Tahs but the forward pack can be pretty close to a wallaby capped lineup, with the only exception been at 7 and that's probably only due to residency/test qualification.

In the backline, fullback might be a bit weak until Jorgensen is back but besides that there's enough strike power there, they just don't seem to be firing together but it is mostly the same team who played above expectation in 2022 isnt it?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is it though, there's a couple of monsters in the forward pack with Bell and Gleeson. I'm not tracking who is injured at the Tahs but the forward pack can be pretty close to a wallaby capped lineup, with the only exception been at 7 and that's probably only due to residency/test qualification.

In the backline, fullback might be a bit weak until Jorgensen is back but besides that there's enough strike power there, they just don't seem to be firing together but it is mostly the same team who played above expectation in 2022 isnt it?
We have no locks, one prop and a vastly overrated hooker. And, honestly, no decent flyhalf.

Any team with a half decent tight 5 pushes them around if they turn up. Have done for years.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
We have no locks, one prop and a vastly overrated hooker. And, honestly, no decent flyhalf.

Any team with a half decent tight 5 pushes them around if they turn up. Have done for years.
I think Bell will make a significant difference on this front. That was evident even in the trail. Him being absent last year was a big loss to both our scrummaging and ability to push the gainline. That said, it can't all rest on him. Truthfully I'm a little sad that Latu didn't get another year and I'm not sure HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has returned to where he seemed to be heading post injury.

Locking stocks is just a general issue for Australia atm with the likes of Coleman, Hocking, Hosea, Arnolds, Skelton, Philip to name a few all plying their trade o/s.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Porecki is not Malcolm Marx but he's been in the Wallabies because he's better than the other domestic options.

I'm not sure only a half decent tight 5 is pushing:
Bell/Porecki/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)(Holz)
Holloway/Amotosero

too far around.

I'm speculating, but I'm not super pessimistic just yet