• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
He was talked up at the start of last year. I know it’s harsh after round 1 but we expected a kick on from the Aus A games at the end of the 2022 season where he looked pretty good.

In reality I don’t see them throwing Bowen in against the Crusaders. I do hope they keep him in the 23 so he can get minutes.
Harsh….. yep! Classic forum culture. After one game a bloke is the next Wallaby. Another is dropped for someone else…. Always interesting banter but mostly hot air and waffle. One positive is the Waratah jersey looks great.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I haven’t watched Edmed closely enough to comment about his previous experience, so was last night an off night for him on the boot?

He doesn’t seem to have any real power or distance in his kick. His touch finders were surprisingly short. Is he injured/recovering still or something?

Walton on the other hand had some nice kicks and was used a lot at first-receiver for that role, why isn’t he kicking for touch?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I haven’t watched Edmed closely enough to comment about his previous experience, so was last night an off night for him on the boot?

He doesn’t seem to have any real power or distance in his kick. His touch finders were surprisingly short. Is he injured/recovering still or something?

Walton on the other hand had some nice kicks and was used a lot at first-receiver for that role, why isn’t he kicking for touch?
Surprising because in Roma it was the one highlight. He was sending them flying.

The wet maybe? Few guys like Petaia had a good kick followed by a shank.

Once again, harsh on him when being outside Gordon is tough the way he’s playing and the Reds were the better team by far. Rarely does a losing 10 get accolades.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
Surprising because in Roma it was the one highlight. He was sending them flying.

The wet maybe? Few guys like Petaia had a good kick followed by a shank.

Once again, harsh on him when being outside Gordon is tough the way he’s playing and the Reds were the better team by far. Rarely does a losing 10 get accolades.
“The wet maybe.” Didn’t affect Lynagh. He kicked brilliantly with plenty of distance.

Edmed is a solid player but he’s never going to be a game breaker. He just needs to get the ball to his classy backline.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
Harsh….. yep! Classic forum culture. After one game a bloke is the next Wallaby. Another is dropped for someone else…. Always interesting banter but mostly hot air and waffle. One positive is the Waratah jersey looks great.
Luckily it was only a trial.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They’re not ready maybe? After one game Edmed is now not so great? Pretty sure he was talked up a lot last year. Again. One game.

I’ve never talked him up. So no point conflating my comments with someone else’s.

My opinions are from every game I’ve seen him play. An honest toiler.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think Edmed look a lot better in 2022 becasue Foketi and Perese (more so Perese) had a great season and kept earning metres, giving quick ball etc. Since then their form has seemed to drop off esp Perese and thus Edmed doesn't look as good.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Went to the Reds-Warratahs game, Mark Nawaqanitawase looked noticeably massive compared to even some of the forwards. Seemed like he was blowing hard the whole game and struggling to have the degree of involvement you'd ideally like.

Do I need a vision check or did anyone who watches him on a more regular basis feel similarly?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Went to the Reds-Warratahs game, Mark Nawaqanitawase looked noticeably massive compared to even some of the forwards. Seemed like he was blowing hard the whole game and struggling to have the degree of involvement you'd ideally like.

Do I need a vision check or did anyone who watches him on a more regular basis feel similarly?
I didn't think he was blowing I just thought he was putting in minimal effort. Still one of our best.

Nuggetyflyhalf

Bob McCowan (2)
Let’s stop comparing big Mikes to Skelton. Not as bulky and different style of player. Perese going off hurt us, Jorgo will be better for the run, if we could just win set piece…
Also Wilson is our best 9.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Looking at last weekend, all the following happened either in the Reds half or in mid-field, when we had the ball and thus on attack. Three poor line-out throws, three passes that went nowhere near the recipient, two perfectly good passes that were dropped cold and a penalty kick that failed to find touch. None of these occurred under pressure. That's nine occasions when on attack we've basically said to the Reds 'you guys will get tired with too much tackling, here have the ball back!'
This is not a lack of basic skills, these players could perform all these skills in the U13's, it's a lack of concentration. People talk about intensity as continued running and tackling hard, but it's also about maintaining peak concentration whenever the ball's in play, even when you are tired. Is that hard? yes, of course it is, but so is any profession at the elite level. It is what these guys, having been selected to play at the elite level, are expected to do.
Rant over.