• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
A side to play the Brumby Runners

This is a really young side. Not surprising with the injury list but a guy like Sharples last game was Aus U18s.

Great to see Harrison named. Wonder if he and Bowen will float between spots as Bowen is not a Fullback.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpeg
    IMG_0990.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A side to play the Brumby Runners

This is a really young side. Not surprising with the injury list but a guy like Sharples last game was Aus U18s.

Great to see Harrison named. Wonder if he and Bowen will float between spots as Bowen is not a Fullback.
This is the A side and nothing depends on the result. Bowen is young and very talented. If this was the Super side playing I would agree with you but its not. He gets to try things, get experience, learn what works in a situation that has nothing hanging on the result. If they get pumped by 50, who will remember in a few weeks time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This is the A side and nothing depends on the result. Bowen is young and very talented. If this was the Super side playing I would agree with you but its not. He gets to try things, get experience, learn what works in a situation that has nothing hanging on the result. If they get pumped by 50, who will remember in a few weeks time.
It is definitely a young side Hawko, but no reason to think they might have 50 put on them by the Brumbies A team which itself is a very young side too. By my count, about half the 24 Brumbies A players were in the U20s or U19s last year. I think both sides have similar profiles of youngsters and players with some experience.

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yesterday’s result:
Brumby Runners 15
Waratahs ‘A’ 14

Brumbies led 12-0 and their scrum and lineout were functioning very well compared to the Tahs. Waratahs made some changes and got parity or better back at scrum and line out and with some possession got ahead 14-12. Brums got a late penalty goal at the end to get home. Good, intense derby as ever.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yesterday’s result:
Brumby Runners 15
Waratahs ‘A’ 14

Brumbies led 12-0 and their scrum and lineout were functioning very well compared to the Tahs. Waratahs made some changes and got parity or better back at scrum and line out and with some possession got ahead 14-12. Brums got a late penalty goal at the end to get home. Good, intense derby as ever.

Looks like poor attacking ruck management from the Waratahs at the end of the game - pinged for not releasing.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
So, four rounds in, that’s when the administrators are supposed to be making a decision on Darren Coleman - which way should they go?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So, four rounds in, that’s when the administrators are supposed to be making a decision on Darren Coleman - which way should they go?
They should keep him, but more importantly they (and he) never should've set this date to make the call and probably should've just given him a 1 year extension through the Lions series at the start of the year. Having said that it's hard to see the results so far being up to the standard they would've been hoping for, even if the team isn't doing to poorly. Possibly the press surrounding this decision will have caused them to rethink it, but if there were KPI's set and they've nailed them I can't see why they would've bothered with the early review in the first place.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
They should keep him, but more importantly they (and he) never should've set this date to make the call and probably should've just given him a 1 year extension through the Lions series at the start of the year. Having said that it's hard to see the results so far being up to the standard they would've been hoping for, even if the team isn't doing to poorly. Possibly the press surrounding this decision will have caused them to rethink it, but if there were KPI's set and they've nailed them I can't see why they would've bothered with the early review in the first place.
Who wants the job? Hoiles?

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
RA's decision now they own the Waratahs? He should be allowed more games, but I'd like to see a different attack coach.

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
this was another heartbreaker for the tahs.

i thought langi Gleeson and charlie gamble were good around the park but did not add any dent to the defence line. where are all the ball runners? like the wallabies we will never win game when we conceed 12+ penalties. i still think coleman is doing a terrific job and we are moving forward but this might not be our year. fiji will be a win in my thoughts

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Waratahs need a 5/8 who can kick reliably, Edmed just puts the team under pressure with the quality and length of his kicks

Last edited:

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Bench slowly getting stronger - ideally we get 2 hookers and Max J back and possibly Foketi - now Swinton is back we may have a lot more punch off the bench.
I know he apparently desperately wants to play league, as he has been saying in the media ( jeez, thanks for showing commitment to your fans, team mates and club..........mate), but O'Reilly has really jumped at the chance he has been given. Marky's pass was a bit early which meant he was squeezed for space and put a foot out.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I’m not sure if we can find anyone better who’s affordable.

I‘m yet to be convinced of his professional capability- he’s been successful in amateur rugby due to recruitment policies.

He might be a nice guy but can anyone honestly say they’ve seen genuine improvement? The attacking shape has been terrible for 3 years.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bench slowly getting stronger - ideally we get 2 hookers and Max J back and possibly Foketi - now Swinton is back we may have a lot more punch off the bench.
I know he apparently desperately wants to play league, as he has been saying in the media ( jeez, thanks for showing commitment to your fans, team mates and club..........mate), but O'Reilly has really jumped at the chance he has been given. Marky's pass was a bit early which meant he was squeezed for space and put a foot out.
Thought Swinton was strong when he got on which was surprising with a long lay off for me. Harrison will give them actual flexibility in the squad and an ability to shift a game if it isn't going right. Right now if Edmed is off we have to keep him on the field.

I’m not sure if we can find anyone better who’s affordable.

I‘m yet to be convinced of his professional capability- he’s been successful in amateur rugby due to recruitment policies.

He might be a nice guy but can anyone honestly say they’ve seen genuine improvement? The attacking shape has been terrible for 3 years.
I wouldn't be disappointed if he was re-signed. Have I thought about other coaches? Yep.

I know he is in charge of picking the side so it does fall back onto him but the attacking shape has also been dominated by Jake Gordon who before the last 3 weeks has looked like a busted ass for two years.

I think the pack is slowly coming together to being a dominant group. No side has had good attacking shape when the pack has been going backwards.