• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I wouldn't be disappointed if he was re-signed. Have I thought about other coaches? Yep.

I know he is in charge of picking the side so it does fall back onto him but the attacking shape has also been dominated by Jake Gordon who before the last 3 weeks has looked like a busted ass for two years.

I think the pack is slowly coming together to being a dominant group. No side has had good attacking shape when the pack has been going backwards.
Yes, that's where I'm at. I like the calmness and the toughness he seems to have instilled in the team. But I do think they need to look at the assistant coaches, especially around the forwards. Our best 8 are a high-quality group, but they don't seem to be great in scrum or maul. The lineout is good, and their attacking breakdown work has improved - somewhat.

I wonder if the Tahs have struggled with recruitment of forwards because, with Laurie Fisher, the Brumbies were always able to make a better offer to young forwards who wanted to improve?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Good point re recruitment. Pauli Taumoepeau may not have held the weight in recruitment Laurie did but they have been able to get Amatosero, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) and Slack-Smith in the last 12 months. I have no issue with the Forwards overall development and think it's a good think to develop young Aussie coaches as well.

I do have to ask about Chris Whittaker though. Been there since 2018 and I might be wrong but I don't know what has progressed positively in his areas.

Who's the GM at the Tahs now? Watching the underage sides the last few years shows there is a lot of talent coming through and holding it will create the pressure that drives performance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, four rounds in, that’s when the administrators are supposed to be making a decision on Darren Coleman - which way should they go?

I would say the jury is still out.

I would rule out a long term extension on the basis that the results to start the season haven't been stellar.

I'd be equally happy with a one year extension now or to have a bit of a look at the market as to what potential replacements might be interested and available.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I would rule out a long term extension on the basis that the results to start the season haven't been stellar.

I'd be equally happy with a one year extension now or to have a bit of a look at the market as to what potential replacements might be interested and available.
Cant help but think of Dan McKellar. I know he's under contract at Leicester

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

I'd give him to the end of 25 and then go to the market. The mess they were in when he took over was stellar. If they bring in a new coach I will tip them to win with the new coach first 3 and then fall into the old patterns and back to a shit show. They get lazy easily and I have no idea why.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was surprised and pleased to see Amatosero putting in the work over the weekend, I was wondering if he was a poor buy.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I was surprised and pleased to see Amatosero putting in the work over the weekend, I was wondering if he was a poor buy.
21 year old Second Rower. We'd all be very silly to write him off when he is still a way off his physical prime.

Back him and let him develop. If that is off the bench I'm all for it. He has all the natural attributes and I hope he can pick up some skills from Hanigan, Holloway, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) and Sinclair who all fit the toiler type.

That won't happen, he will come back as Wallabies coach after Schmidt at the end of 25.
I hope we are going in the right direction and he stays on in a perfect world through the WC. New coach following that.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Bringing in an off-contract (AFAIK) 35yo who had an okay club game when you're trying to develop for the future is a pretty hard sell
Yeah know of course hes a not a long term answer. but in my opinion he'd be a nice bandaid fix.

A lot of the problems we have with Edmed I think he would mend. Obviously this is pure speculation from one club game. But I do think it would be worth seeing him having a run.

I wonder if we will see Bowen get some good minutes in.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Harrison should definitely be the next option, he has the runs on the board from previously. But let's not rush him if we can possibly avoid it, he needs miles back in the legs, and confidence.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Beale looked good enough to get a deal overseas. Maybe a French side that carry more players.

Otherwise he’s going to be a handful in the Shite Shield.

If Harrison has a couple of A games under his belt, put him on the bench and give him 25 mins.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So, four rounds in, that’s when the administrators are supposed to be making a decision on Darren Coleman - which way should they go?

Very poor loss to a rampant Reds, away.
Backed up with a crushing victory over a poor Crusaders, away.
Two close losses to Kiwi teams more on their game, but still below their best, at home.

Honestly think it is 51% positive and 49% shitshow. We could be 3-1 but we're not, and maybe that's OK.

Coleman should be extended to 2025 to settle any bullshit, but needs to start performing.