• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs Blues Sunday 24th March, SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Chieka did his 'nana around the 22 minute mark and ran down to the sidelines having words to someone on the field. I thought it was directed at the Tahs, but now realise it was probably at match officials. Never seen a coach run down from the coaches box and have a go like that.

It's slowing coming together for the Tahs. Some of the phases of play were great to watch, especially down the left wing in the first half. It could be a thing of beauty to watch if they can string it together for 80 minutes. Hopefully, it will be before or when they play the Chiefs.

Bemused to watch a couple of Fox Sports crew telling people to sit down and stopping people for using an aisle just before the start of the second half so they could get in a shot.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Chieka did his 'nana around the 22 minute mark and ran down to the sidelines having words to someone on the field. I thought it was directed at the Tahs, but now realise it was probably at match officials. Never seen a coach run down from the coaches box and have a go like that.

It's slowing coming together for the Tahs. Some of the phases of play were great to watch, especially down the left wing in the first half. It could be a thing of beauty to watch if they can string it together for 80 minutes. Hopefully, it will be before or when they play the Chiefs.

Bemused to watch a couple of Fox Sports crew telling people to sit down and stopping people for using an aisle just before the start of the second half so they could get in a shot.

Did you see what he muttered when he saw the camera on him. Bloody beautiful. You cannot repeat it on here but it was great to see. Just watched the Tahs presser. Every time I hear Chieka speaks in public the more confident I get that he will in time succeed in his quest to turn the Tahs into a serious contender. Blunt and to the point. Doesn't try to talk around things, no fear just gets on with it be it coaching or voicing his opinion. His comment about the scrum resets was particularly apt.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Did you see what he muttered when he saw the camera on him. Bloody beautiful. You cannot repeat it on here but it was great to see.

No I didn't as I was sitting down the opposite end, just saw him come down and return to the box.

Also great to see some junior players get a run at half time.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Even waratah jesus was never that irrationally optimistic. How did the champagne breakfast go, #1?
Mate my benevolent and irrational optimism is what defines me as a Tahs fan!

No I didn't as I was sitting down the opposite end, just saw him come down and return to the box.

Also great to see some junior players get a run at half time.

Burraneer absolutely dominated. Same story last week with Sydney Uni womens 7s V Waringah. Half time shows have been lots of fun, but very uneven

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great win for the Tahs especially considering they were down by 14 points at half time.

Clearly the biggest disappointment was how easily we gifted tries to the Blues in the first half. They should have never been in the game.

On the plus side, the Tahs scored three of the better tries they've scored in the last year or so. Scoring off the first phase from a lineout in the opposite corner was particularly great. Superbly executed backline move.

Dennis had easily his best game of the season and finally showed the physicality we need from him. He worked hard all game and made some telling runs late in the game, constantly getting over the advantage line.

I thought McKibbin's passing was better prior to his injury than it has been so far this season. He made plenty of good passes out in front of the game. Lucas got better as the game went on but his defence is really weak and he absolutely gifted 7 points to the Blues out of nothing. He definitely has a better pass than McKibbin but his overall game is far from perfect. His pass to put Folau over was brilliant, threading the needle between two defenders at full pace. I expect McKibbin will start again next week if his shoulder is right.

Losing three attacking lineouts on our own throw after penalties was really poor. Execution at the lineout has to improve. These are golden opportunities to score points.

Folau and Mitchell had really strong games. The only thing Folau did wrong was not either pinning his ears back for the corner when the big break was made late in the game or coming in field and trying to put Kingston over in the corner.

I thought the centre pairing was really good. Horne had a very strong game, particularly in defence and our outside backs got plenty of opportunity. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a very solid game, defended well and made some strong runs. At least until Barnes comes back, this combination will be the first choice at 12 and 13.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Great win for the Tahs especially considering they were down by 14 points at half time.

Clearly the biggest disappointment was how easily we gifted tries to the Blues in the first half. They should have never been in the game.

On the plus side, the Tahs scored three of the better tries they've scored in the last year or so. Scoring off the first phase from a lineout in the opposite corner was particularly great. Superbly executed backline move.

Dennis had easily his best game of the season and finally showed the physicality we need from him. He worked hard all game and made some telling runs late in the game, constantly getting over the advantage line.

I thought McKibbin's passing was better prior to his injury than it has been so far this season. He made plenty of good passes out in front of the game. Lucas got better as the game went on but his defence is really weak and he absolutely gifted 7 points to the Blues out of nothing. He definitely has a better pass than McKibbin but his overall game is far from perfect. His pass to put Folau over was brilliant, threading the needle between two defenders at full pace. I expect McKibbin will start again next week if his shoulder is right.

Losing three attacking lineouts on our own throw after penalties was really poor. Execution at the lineout has to improve. These are golden opportunities to score points.

Folau and Mitchell had really strong games. The only thing Folau did wrong was not either pinning his ears back for the corner when the big break was made late in the game or coming in field and trying to put Kingston over in the corner.

I thought the centre pairing was really good. Horne had a very strong game, particularly in defence and our outside backs got plenty of opportunity. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a very solid game, defended well and made some strong runs. At least until Barnes comes back, this combination will be the first choice at 12 and 13.

I both agree and disagree at the same time. His first few involvements were dire in defence to the point I was chastising him in front of the TV. But later in the game he put a good low hit on the Blues No.8 that dislodged the ball at a point when the Blues could have built something so his earlier indiscretion were somewhat forgiven.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I both agree and disagree at the same time. His first few involvements were dire in defence to the point I was chastising him in front of the TV. But later in the game he put a good low hit on the Blues No.8 that dislodged the ball at a point when the Blues could have built something so his earlier indiscretion were somewhat forgiven.

He also made some great passes, way in front of the man. More of that please.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

good points.
I've only watched the first half at this stage.
I am certainly no fan of Horne's but the backline clearly worked better on what I've seen and, for the doubters, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) threw a pass!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
good points.
I've only watched the first half at this stage.
I am certainly no fan of Horne's but the backline clearly worked better on what I've seen and, for the doubters, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) threw a pass!
Yes, he threw more passes yesterday than he has all year which gives hope. The less said about his kick ahead on turnover ball 25 m out which went dead and gave the ball straight back to the Blues the better.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes, he threw more passes yesterday than he has all year which gives hope. The less said about his kick ahead on turnover ball 25 m out which went dead and gave the ball straight back to the Blues the better.
Wrong type of kick, if he had to kick it, at the wrong time in the wrong place.
Average for a bloke with his experience - maybe he got a call?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Good points, with which I mostly agree.

Halfback is still a problem as evidenced by the signing of Phipps. McKibben is not the answer long term. He's been given the opportunity to make the position his and hasn't. Lucas has a better passing game on yesterday's evidence and is able to get the team moving at speed more consistently. I find it difficult to understand how both halves gave 7 points to the Blues by not diving on the loose bouncing ball with their body. They each dived or slid at the ball and tried to grab it with their hands, and as rugby balls do, the balls bounced out of their grasp. This fundamental should have been addressed long before their arrival in professional rugby. If any position on the field is going to be able to get back to a loose bouncing ball with the opposition pouring through, it is at half.

On the positive side, the Waratahs played some very good, enterprising rugby, dare one say brillant at times, with some 2nd rate stuff thrown in. Fortunately, week by week the good parts seem to last longer and the bad bits seem to be further apart.

I certainly enjoyed the match, as did the rest of the crowd around us. The size of the crowd indicates the damage done by Hickey/Foley/adminstrators in the past 4 years. It really should have been more than 16,000 on a sunny Sunday afternoon - no Friday traffic to worry about. More of this should bring the crowds back. The players also deserve top marks for spending some time pre-match with the fans.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wrong type of kick, if he had to kick it, at the wrong time in the wrong place.
Average for a bloke with his experience - maybe he got a call?
You're right about that and he should be experienced enough not to kick even if he did get a call. It looked like a Waratahs of old moment or dare one say something from the Deans playbook.

I also noticed in the squad a young bloke Cameron Crawford, ex Grammar. Haven't seen him play before - any insights? A fullback I beleive.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
How can someone be the 'form 13' when he hasn't played for the last two weeks, I thought he was dropped/replaced by Kuridrani? Edit, injured versus Tahs

On AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), apart from the kick, he was pretty solid, great work to straighten up for the first try
Fat prop, a 13 relies heavily on what happens inside him.
Smith has been given so many more opportunities, and much more space for this reason.
At the start of the season I rated AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), was told know he can't pass, so I have paid particular attention to his game. You will note I only criticised his kick, he was solid, and as the team comes together I think we will see more.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
All in all that was actually exactly what the Tahs needed. A win, people actually off their seats clapping and hugging etc etc.
The shit they put on on game day is embarrassing. Tah man zipping around on a quaddie was sorta cringe worthy.
The talentless toss bag singing at half time was one more song away from getting my half filled bottle o coke to the back of his head.
Good on the lads for gettin the W.

Out lineout is shit. Thank god paddy Ryan is stepping up. Fat cat is half the player he used to be (but double the size!)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Foley, Folau and Dennis really impressed me. Foley varied his game really well and held his nerve for the crucial kick at the end. Izzy looks like he is really growing into the game by game and is at the heart of most good things we do in attack, but he really should have scored from the break at the end.
Lucas, brainfart aside was good, and will most likely get a run in the side now. His passing speed us up a bit and I think we looked a bit more dangerous with him on the field. Overall could be a huge win in the context of our season we just have to back it up next week.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought McKibbin's time before he went off was his best this season. Pass was crisp and fast, and he was the key player in the first try- held the ball after wrapping around for a split second longer, straightened and committed a Blues defender to enable the overlap.

I think he will still start next week. Lucas is a great prospect though.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You're right about that and he should be experienced enough not to kick even if he did get a call. It looked like a Waratahs of old moment or dare one say something from the Deans playbook.

I also noticed in the squad a young bloke Cameron Crawford, ex Grammar. Haven't seen him play before - any insights? A fullback I beleive.
Norths.
Had a contract at the Brumbies last season. Very tall.
Saw him at school but saw nothing earth shattering: just proves that 17/18 is not a true indicator of ultimate development!

Status
Not open for further replies.