• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v. B&I Lions - Saturday 15 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So the Waratahs will presumably be playing with a very similar side to the one that played against the Force on Sunday.

Foley and Lucas are on 7s duty so I'm guessing Volavola will start at 10 and Grayson Hart will slot onto the bench.

If Pat McCutcheon is healthy, he'll play and Gilbert will drop back to the bench.

You would expect the Lions to be picking very close to their matchday 23 for the first test.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure on how much of the 23 will be what we'll see against the Wallabies. I think too many of the Lions potential matchday 23 have been forced to play on Tuesday thanks to injury. Maybe they'll pull them off early so they are right for the Tahs though, as Tuesday may not be much than an opposed training run.

I hope the Tahs can keep it respectable. It's going to be a severely weakened Tahs team. The Tahs still have firepower in the outside backs, but I suspect they will get eaten up in the forwards.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Looking forward to this one, first of 4 consecutive Lions Saturdays for me. The Tahs will be doing well to keep it under a 30 point margin I think. The lineout is going to be attacked probably by POC Croft and Parling. Hard to say which test combinations will play but I think we'll see Phillips and Sexton paired together, assuming Jonny has no more hamstring issues

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess we have to wait and see what happens tonight but I'm expecting the likely first test players to be subbed off early where possible.

That would be:

Hibbard, Cole, Gray (possibly), Heaslip, Roberts or BOD.

Unless they take a few knocks, I'd expect North and Cuthbert to start again on Saturday.

They have to play the Brumbies next Tuesday so realistically the test players have to play against the Tahs so the midweek team are fresh to play three days later.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I wouldn't expect to see North or Cuthbert to be honest, Kearney will play 15 (again assuming no more hammy issues) so I'd expect to see Halfpenny at 14 and Zebo at 11

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Love Cheik's attitude for the game.
Waratahs coach Michael Cheika wants his side to create a lifetime memory with a win over British and Irish Lions
THEY'LL be "massive" underdogs, but Michael Cheika doesn't want his rookie Waratahs side to settle for a once-in-a-lifetime experience against the British and Irish Lions on Saturday night.
He'd prefer they chase a lifetime memory instead.
"It's about making it something you can remember and say you played in an international level fixture where you made something of it," Cheika said.
"I remember as a Randwick player we played against the All Blacks in 1988, and that was such a famous day. We didn't win, they'd just won the World Cup. We'd lost 22-9 but we were in the match for long periods of the game, and it was a great battle.
"That's important, to make it a good contest."
Spirits are high in the NSW camp after the depleted Tahs beat the Western Force at the weekend, but already missing ten Wallabies and eight injured men, the loss of halves Bernard Foley and Matt Lucas to sevens duty has further weakened the team.
"I think the players aren't happy about it either. Forget about me. I don't think the two players are happy about it," Cheika said.
"I don't know if we can play like the Reds did, considering we have a lot of new players in the squad.
"We will have to find another way. Playing with a certain physicality or a certain style that will help us be competitive."
Cheika said the under-strength Tahs would not take in a close enough is good enough attitude.
"I don't want to teach the lads to be gloriously defeated. I know it is a very, very small chance we can win, but if there is a small chance we have to try and go for it," Cheika said.
"The odds are obviously are against us massively but we have to try and buck the odds."
After withdrawing late last week, Pat McCutcheon is expected to return and lead the side.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
More importantly, where are the pre-game beverages?

The Local Taphouse in Flinders Street Darlinghurst (or is that side of the street Paddington?) is the closest and best venue but they aren't taking table bookings for Saturday as they expect a full pub. I reckon it'll be so full of BIL tourists that if we don't get there before 5:00pm they'll close the pub and only let punters in when others leave, which won't be until about 7:00 before the game. Sooo, that leaves the Fox+Lion at Fox Studios. What about trying the Beresford in Bourke Street Surry Hill, across from the old St Margaret's site? It's a bloody nice venue and closer to the ground than the F+L. Others we could consider are the Flinders back along Flinders Street from TLP, the Centennial up on Oxford Street or the Olympic on Moore Park Road.

Thoughts please.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is also a pre and post match event at the Hordern Pavillion at the Entertainment Quarter.

Hi there,
Are you heading down to the Waratahs and Lion's game on June 15?
Why not drop into The Lions Den at the Hordern Pavilion for a Pre/Post Rugby Party?
We're open from 4.30 until midnight and admission is free.
We've got a variety of different food trucks, tents, stalls and vans including Mexican, Pizza, Gozleme and Jaffles on board.
Come grab a beer from our forecourt bars and a bite to eat while enjoying the cool tunes from our DJs.
Test your strength against your friends on our inflatable Tug 'o' War or give our Boot Shute a go.
With food trucks, bars, merchandise and giveaways such as a Limited Edition Gilbert - Waratahs v British & Irish Lions Tour Football, free tickets to a show or two or a signed poster of some of our favourite Hordern acts.

So why not stop in for a drink prior to kick off and pay us a visit after the game to kick on

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Hi guys was told by badger to give you guys a bell about pre game bevvies

I'm working at the harlequin inn in Pyrmont til about 4pm if anyone is keen to meet me there and then move onto another bar closer to Allianz Stadium

May be able to try to give a few beers on me

Let me know what u think,

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
GAGR just posted on facebook that Foley and Lucas have been released from the Australian 7s squad for this game.

Fantastic news for the Tahs (and us supporters)!

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Good to see the ARU didn't deny Bernard and Matt the chance to face the Lions. ABC says they will re-join the Tahs on Friday.

Heard that the Lions will announce their team around 1:15pm on Thursday 13 June.

Looking forward to seeing a capacity, or near capacity, crowd at the SFS for a Tahs game. I can't recall this happening in a long time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking forward to seeing a capacity, or near capacity, crowd at the SFS for a Tahs game. I can't recall this happening in a long time.

Ticketek says nothing available. The joint will be pumping!

And Pfitzy will be there to show the elbow patches now it's done.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let's hope the stadium members and corporates will turn out in force too. They are responsible for a lot of seats so if we're going to push much over 40k, they need to show up!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Let's hope the stadium members and corporates will turn out in force too. They are responsible for a lot of seats so if we're going to push much over 40k, they need to show up!

The corporates are a waste of time - they're in it for the networking, not the rugby. I have been seated in the members thanks to the inestimable Lee Grant, and at least they know how to cheer.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.