• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v. Brumbies 2011R18

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RuckinGoodStats

Conceded penalties is not something these teams do. The Brumbies are averaging 8.8 per game, which is the 2nd lowest in the competition. The Waratahs are 9th lowest in the competition for penalties, conceding an average of 9.3 per game.

Also key to penalties is the man in the middle. Craig Joubert is down for this match at the moment. I say this because there has been a fair amount of last minute changes to the refs. Joubert hands out few penalties, averaging 19 per game. This ranks him 14th lowest out of the 17th refs to award penalties. He is however like Marius Jonker not big on scrum resets ranking 16th lowest, but 4th highest in scrum infringements and uses free kicks as well as penalties. So last minute scrum set and a penalty could decide the winner, hold your breath…

Looking at tries in local derbies the Waratahs are average 3.1 tries per match compared to the Brumbies average 2.1 tries. While Giteau is slotting penalties when it comes to conversions, it’s a different story. Giteau is 63% for conversions (19 from 30) and Beale is 72% (23 from 32).

How they will get to the position to score points shows differences. Ball in play/contestable time in the opposition’s 22 the Waratahs are average 6 minutes and 15 seconds per game 3rd highest in the competition. The Brumbies are 9th in the competition averaging with 4 minutes and 24 seconds. That is an important difference.

To cross the line you need to the defenders to miss tackles, The Brumbies are 12th lowest in the competition missed an average of 12.6 per game. The Waratahs are 13th and miss an average of 11.9 per game.

I

International Badboy

From what you have said the brumbies look a lot better on paper. how have they performed so miserably with the 12th lowest miss tackles and 2nd lowest in penalties?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I believe the Brumbies are also up there in the competition for line breaks...

Their problem is that they don't capitalise on their opportunties...

I don't know what their stats are for turnovers or handling errors but I'm sure it's not good...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
From what you have said the brumbies look a lot better on paper. how have they performed so miserably with the 12th lowest miss tackles and 2nd lowest in penalties?

Err, did you read the same stats? Brumbies are probably a better team than their performance suggests, but the stats from RGS suggest the Tahs are superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.