• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies 28th June ANZ Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Gnostic, been away from home for a few days peddling my wares in Canberra, re your question about Chapman over Hoiles. Chapman played for Easts last weekend, we should presume he's now fit for duty, if only for part of a game; he's one of the best lineout technicians going around and I, for one, would like him to be available for the finals. Game time's essential during the last three matches. Chapman v Hoiles: he's 197cm and 110kg compared to Hoiles's 190/102, he's that much bigger. BUT, I don't discount for one minute Hoiles's contributions from the bench this year. Stephen's got an extremely important role to play come the finals.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
A few random comments

1. That brumbies team looks pretty solid, even with the injuries they have. Really looking forward to this game as a neutral supporter. I'll be cheering on the Tahs though, because I'd like to see a home grand final in Sydney.
  2. I saw some advertisements for the tahs on FTA TV last night during the project. The tahs are actually marketable again. Hopefully they get a big crowd to the game on Saturday.
  3. Re Steve Walsh, I always thought he was a pretty horrible ref, but I have to admit his refereeing this year has been excellent. He's communicated very well with the players and tries to let the game flow if possible. hats off to him.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Looks like you can only buy platinum tickets on the 4th tier which is a very encouraging sign.
Cmon 40k!

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
If the Brums can avoid the set piece or somehow compete there I think they're a chance. They've stayed busy in the break, those not involved in the wallabies were all but winning a tens tournament in Singapore.

It's interesting how all the talk this week has been about the tahs getting revenge for their loss to the Brums earlier in the year. Back then it was revenge for a wallaby tour incident.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's interesting how all the talk this week has been about the tahs getting revenge for their loss to the Brums earlier in the year. Back then it was revenge for a wallaby tour incident.

The revenge for the tour incident was entirely conceived by the media. All the players denied there was anything there.

The revenge for losing in Canberra is real. All the Tahs players quoted in the media are being driven by that (amongst other things).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gnostic, been away from home for a few days peddling my wares in Canberra, re your question about Chapman over Hoiles. Chapman played for Easts last weekend, we should presume he's now fit for duty, if only for part of a game; he's one of the best lineout technicians going around and I, for one, would like him to be available for the finals. Game time's essential during the last three matches. Chapman v Hoiles: he's 197cm and 110kg compared to Hoiles's 190/102, he's that much bigger. BUT, I don't discount for one minute Hoiles's contributions from the bench this year. Stephen's got an extremely important role to play come the finals.

Against the Bok sides, a fit Chapman maybe more useful

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
The revenge for the tour incident was entirely conceived by the media. All the players denied there was anything there.

The revenge for losing in Canberra is real. All the Tahs players quoted in the media are being driven by that (amongst other things).
It's just interesting that (for whatever reason) that revenge is given as the motivation. Rather than say maintaining their unbeaten home record or getting to first place on the table or setting up a super rugby title.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
How is it revenge? Were the Brumbies supposed to lie down and let them win the game? They lost because of their own ineptitude at that point of the season. Thankfully for Tahs fans, that's not likely to happen this time,although as a Brums fan, I'd be stoked if it did :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How is it revenge? Were the Brumbies supposed to lie down and let them win the game? They lost because of their own ineptitude at that point of the season. Thankfully for Tahs fans, that's not likely to happen this time,although as a Brums fan, I'd be stoked if it did :)

Maybe avenge is a better word.

Of course the Brumbies weren't supposed to lie down and let them win. That doesn't mean the Tahs weren't disappointed with their performance and loss and wants to even up the ledger this Saturday.

I don't know why it is a surprise that a team has an extra incentive to beat an arch rival that beat them the last time they played.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
whoever has put the bad juju on the brumbies has definitely paid the right witchdoctor

Jake_White_smiles_620_395_s_c1_top_top.jpg

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I was about to say that the Brumbies have one possible way to win this and only one.

If we play field position, we lose. We don't have the set piece to win this with everyone injured, and Folau is getting too good at positioning to get any change out of a kicking game, if you ignore his counter attacking skills.

We have to go Reds-under-Link, and run like an angry ex girlfriend is after us.

Attack the 10/12 channel with the most aggressive angry people we have, it's the only weakness. Punch into there, then high pace of game, try and run the tired Tahs forwards around and negate their size advantage.

Speight and Mogg need to be hitting angles, at pace, as close to the line as possible, from the opening play of the game. Lets see how good KB (Kurtley Beale) really is under pressure at 12, and when he drops back to fullback to get away from it, put up a bomb into the Tahs 22 and have 3-4 people bearing down on him and screaming like banshees.

Time for a change of tactics, and with Lealiifano at 10, rather than To'omua, it's our best option. Run everything, until the Tahs clue in and bring their back three into the defensive line, and THEN kick over the top, until the drop back, then run it again.

Like a boxer going head-body-head-body until the blows start to count and you get that good shot into the ribs that drops the gloves a touch and your uppercut gets through, his legs wobble, and then BAM!.

Of course, you need some players left in the bloody team to do that!

Edit:

Just saw an article that included this:

"But that could be about to change, with Matt To'omua's groin injury giving Lealiifano another crack at his preferred role at number 10 when they travel to Sydney's Olympic stadium on Saturday night.
It is a position Lealiifano excelled in while To'omua was injured in 2012, launching himself on to the Wallabies' radar with more than half-a-dozen man-of-the-match performances.
"He loves playing at 10, it's probably his favourite position. So he's really looking forward to the opportunity," Larkham said.""

So why the hell, with Toomoua clearly now the Wallabies first choice 12, is To'omua not playing there to solidify his knowledge of the position, and Lealiifano playing 10, where HIS best position is, along with a not very secure Wallabies jersey?
To'omua apparently even prefers 12, Kafer confirming that after interviewing him about it a few weeks back?

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
I was about to say that the Brumbies have one possible way to win this and only one.

If we play field position, we lose. We don't have the set piece to win this with everyone injured, and Folau is getting too good at positioning to get any change out of a kicking game, if you ignore his counter attacking skills.

We have to go Reds-under-Link, and run like an angry ex girlfriend is after us.

Attack the 10/12 channel with the most aggressive angry people we have, it's the only weakness. Punch into there, then high pace of game, try and run the tired Tahs forwards around and negate their size advantage.

Speight and Mogg need to be hitting angles, at pace, as close to the line as possible, from the opening play of the game. Lets see how good KB (Kurtley Beale) really is under pressure at 12, and when he drops back to fullback to get away from it, put up a bomb into the Tahs 22 and have 3-4 people bearing down on him and screaming like banshees.

Time for a change of tactics, and with Lealiifano at 10, rather than To'omua, it's our best option. Run everything, until the Tahs clue in and bring their back three into the defensive line, and THEN kick over the top, until the drop back, then run it again.

Like a boxer going head-body-head-body until the blows start to count and you get that good shot into the ribs that drops the gloves a touch and your uppercut gets through, his legs wobble, and then BAM!.

Of course, you need some players left in the bloody team to do that!

Good point, but you need some awesome skills to do that and I am not sure that the team that are remaining have the required skill level OVER the 'tahs backline. If it opens up too much, we can always bring Horne into the centre channel to shore it up.

For me, I think it will be more likely won in the forwards with us getting lots of front foot ball. I hope like hell don't see thatCheik would give instructions to kick the ball. Therefore with Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Horne being put into space by Beale and Foley off some good forward play will be what I expect to see.

A lot of teams have tried to negate our big forward pack by running them around. Starting Skelton on the bench means that only 4 of the starting team were playing in gold last weekend. You still have real firepower in Jackpot, Douglas (and more and more lately Dennis) to carry the ball for 60 - 80 minutes. Fat Cat will be also wanting to run a few meters too one would assume. Hooper is just an energiser bunny and will run all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.