• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies - Round 8, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mil

Bob McCowan (2)
You could say the same things about Folau.

By the way, what is the pace of a true 13?

Conrad Smith? Jean de Villiers? Adam Ashley-Cooper?

Many of the best have been far from speedsters.

I think you're remembering those players from only the end of their careers, all three were quite pacey and much faster than Kuridrani.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nah. Centers just have to complement each other and the back 3, and be quality defenders. As long as they're not Castrogiovanni Mk 2013 onwards slow, pace isn't a hugely significant factor.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Jeez I know George is an absolute champion - no question, no doubt - one of my all time favourite players

The question for me is, would he still be able to stand the rigors of Super rugby? Sooner or later age catches up to even champions.
He was in the running for player of the premiership and is a key part of wasps march through Europe..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Brain lighting O'Driscoll did you not know

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Brain lighting O'Driscoll did you not know

Never saw O'Driscoll do this.
illuminated.jpg

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)

Im pretty sure there are hookers and loose heads running around who could smoke both Conrad and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Dane Coles springs to mind.

Posters saying TK is not playing as good as last year clearly are not taking notice. Maybe not as good as for the Wallabies at RWC, but certainly better than at this time last year for the Brumbies when he still seemed to be overcoming injury.

His form this year is better than some give him credit. It will be an interesting match up directly against Izzy.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Folau will be outmatched in defence, in so much as the structure and organisation required there. Kuridrani is not the best defensive organiser at 13 (in the way Conrad Smith could do it), but he is not the worst and is far more seasoned there than Folau, and it is a key defensive position. They both have obvious assets as attackers.
It will be interesting to see how the Tahs defensive structures work in this significantly changed pattern. Interesting to see also if the Brumbies mid-field show more inclination to attack than they have of late. They might have some opportunities if they do.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Everyone is totally focused on the move to 13 for Izzy. I am totally petrified by the move to put Kellaway at fullback. The guy is a winger who has sometimes played at outside centre, its his run-on debut after a couple of games off the bench against the best team in the Australian conference! And its a game where a loss will cripple the chances of the team for the season.

If Gibson had done it next week against the Force I would have been nervous but thought the experiment worthwhile. Doing it this week is nuts!

Obviously the Tahs are going to run from everywhere, as he's not a noted kicker. His wingers can't kick either so I forecast the Brumbies will rain bombs their way all night. On debut, nervous as hell, out of position. I don't see it ending well.

Without changing personnel we could have selected 11. Kellaway, 12. Beale, 13. Carraro, 14. Robinson, 15. Folau. In such a crucial match that would have been sensible. I would argue that Carraro at 13 to look after Kuridrani defensively would have been optimal.

I have a very bad feeling about this. I just hope Kellaway proves me wrong, but I feel very sorry for the bloke. Its just too much too soon.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
im not sure what to make of this lineup. part of me is excited that folau is moving up and the youngsters are getting starts. the youngsters getting starts is a no brainer. But a massively rejigged backline at this stage of the season and against the brumbies at home?

35350572.jpg

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Everyone is totally focused on the move to 13 for Izzy. I am totally petrified by the move to put Kellaway at fullback. The guy is a winger who has sometimes played at outside centre, its his run-on debut after a couple of games off the bench against the best team in the Australian conference! And its a game where a loss will cripple the chances of the team for the season.

If Gibson had done it next week against the Force I would have been nervous but thought the experiment worthwhile. Doing it this week is nuts!

Obviously the Tahs are going to run from everywhere, as he's not a noted kicker. His wingers can't kick either so I forecast the Brumbies will rain bombs their way all night. On debut, nervous as hell, out of position. I don't see it ending well.

Without changing personnel we could have selected 11. Kellaway, 12. Beale, 13. Carraro, 14. Robinson, 15. Folau. In such a crucial match that would have been sensible. I would argue that Carraro at 13 to look after Kuridrani defensively would have been optimal.

I have a very bad feeling about this. I just hope Kellaway proves me wrong, but I feel very sorry for the bloke. Its just too much too soon.
Biggest risk is defensively putting TK against izzy.. we all know izzys great, but is he that good..

Kelllway will do fine.. great thing about rugby..

Games like this..Brumbies by 5

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I love the relentless theme from so many posters that the Wallabies coach is just waiting for excuses to drop his key players.

I imagine Cheika sitting down at the start of the season and thinking hmm. how do I push Kuridrani, Hooper, Simmons, Fardy etc. out of this team.

It's the continuous search by Internet posters for a disaster that they predicted.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)

Snip.

Whilst Kellaway hasn't been playing at fullback in his post-school days anyone who saw him playing in that position for Scots 1st XV over a couple of seasons will recall him carving up all comers. He was also a solid defender.

Yes, it's a big step up from GPS to Super Rugby but Kellaway won't be lost at fullback. He's one of those players that always seem to excel at the next level. I have a good feeling that in the post-match wash up we won't be discussing any liabilities on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.