• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies - Round 8, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Kellaway played all of last year's Nrc at fullback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't he get injured and miss a fair chunk of the season? Either way I remember watching him playing at fullback during the NRC and he was quite good, displayed some great attacking flair and speed. Can't remember to much about his defence and positioning.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Izzy drop back to fullback in defence.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Izzy is a fullback and one of the best in the world.

I don't see the point in switching him to the centres.

May the best team win.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't he get injured and miss a fair chunk of the season? Either way I remember watching him playing at fullback during the NRC and he was quite good, displayed some great attacking flair and speed. Can't remember to much about his defence and positioning.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Izzy drop back to fullback in defence.

nah. Just missed one game - v Brisbane City.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A lot of unknowns and a lot to like about Izzy v TK head to head.

But what of the backrow battle? Dempsey, Hooper, Holloway v Fardy, Butler, Smiler will have possibly a bigger bearing on the outcome imo. Hooper's attacking game is a huge threat and will need to be contained by the Brumbies, while Holloway is showing that he's capable of busting the line also at this level.

It also seems to me that despite the Tahs' lineout being quite maligned game after game, they actually got the better of the Brumbies lineout in their earlier clash. Though with 4 quality jumpers in this team, I expect the Brumbies will probably finish in front at the set piece contest.

After winning the set piece clashes, the Brumbies need to do more and be more accurate in their backline attack. They were on fire against the Hurricanes but despite showing some promising signs in later games, they haven't been able to dominate other defenses seemingly because of an inability to finish off their attack. Lack of outright pace might be a constraint. And please be very selective about where and when to use the box kick - from around your own 22m line is mostly not a good idea.

If they get away with this one, the Brumbies should be able to go on to win the conference, but a loss will keep it very much an open contest with the Rebels and Tahs.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Because the Tahs have a NZer for a coach and that's what we do, we put fullbacks at centre.....

RWC99 is still raw

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It wouldn't be happening if there weren't several backline injuries.

I guess Gibson views it as the best selection option out of the players he has available.

The other option is Carraro at 13 but that then prevents the preferred defensive structure that is possible when he plays on the wing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting to see how Folau goes at 13. Personally I don't think he will excel at any level (that he is used to doing at 15)

We all know he's a bloody good fullback. I would have kept him there.

Gibson has his reasons. We'll see if this one works out for him

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
This Folau switch to 13 is hardly new information. Pundits have been suggesting it for several years. He often ran at 13 during games last year in perparation for it. Now everyone's acting all surprised, and wondering what Gibson is thinking.

The rationale is that this potentially gets the ball in his hands more often. There's nothing stopping him defending at the back as he usually does, to field high balls. It's certainly worth testing. It may or may not work.

And if not now, then when? The drama is being overdone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why not ? If the reasoning is so that Izzy gets his hands on the ball more often then whats Rob got to do with it.

To me he is a great fullback.

Suppose we can chat about it Monday:)

The reasoning that Folau has gone to 13 isn't so he can get his hands on the ball more.

The reasoning is that the first choice 13 (Rob Horne) is out injured and selecting Folau at 13 and Carraro on the wing so he can slot infield in their defensive structure is viewed as the best selection option they have based on the players available.

As I said, if Horne was healthy he'd be playing 13 and Folau would be at fullback.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I must be the only person who thinks Izzy would get his hands on the ball more often and in better position to use his attacking skills from fullback where he can have a wider view of the field and pick his moments and spaces to attack. I think he'll go ok at 13, but imo 15 is his spot and I hope to see him there at all times for the Wallabies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
im not sure what to make of this lineup. part of me is excited that folau is moving up and the youngsters are getting starts. the youngsters getting starts is a no brainer. But a massively rejigged backline at this stage of the season and against the brumbies at home?

35350572.jpg
It's superior game theory to try new things against better opposition, on the grounds that you are more likely to win against inferior opposition by keeping things the same, and more likely to win against superior opposition by making them different.

If you've lost the last five games against someone, and are offered a coin toss to decide the next game, take the coin toss.

When outclassed, randomise.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That dog is barking at him for entirely personal reasons, as most would know, so zero points for that lame effort. Try harder.

A pretty good retort (and I actually agree that THAT bloke is a dog)
but obviously you need a hearing check if you cannot hear a bit of woofing (at least)

Have a good day and game tonight:)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ten of the Tahs 23 UNDER the age of 25, very exciting for the future!

I think that is what many seem to be missing, the Tahs had been a stable, experienced side for quite a while. Cheika's job was to get value out of an experienced roster.

A lot of that experience is now missing and this season was always going to be one of transition with Gibson's role to build a new team, there are still some solid "bones" but some of those old heads still there haven't so far stepped up to lead by their actions.

Their biggest issues have been shit starts and lacking the ability to build enough pressure, both are quite fixable.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Daughter and her Hubby are going to the game tonight and want to know which pub will be on for pre-game drinks. Any suggestions? Also, any dress rules, as they will be resplendent in their Brumbies kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.