• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby R4 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bernard Foley is still out.

Expecting to see something like this for the Tahs:

Ryan, Latu, Ta'avao
Skelton, Mumm
Dennis, Holloway, Hooper
Phipps, Beale
Guildford, Horwitz, Carraro, Robinson
Folau

Roach, Robinson, Tilse/Tom Robertson
Lousi, Dempsey, Palu
Lucas, Stewart

I'm assuming Rob Horne is out for a few weeks.

Horwitz would eb the backup 10 in that squad. If we added another back instead of a 6th forward reserve it would presumably be Andrew Kellaway.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd go Folau @ 13 and Robinson @ 15. Carraro on the wing. Time to give it a go and especially against Fekitoa as he likes to race up out of the line, Folau can get on his outside and create a 2 on 1.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd go Folau @ 13 and Robinson @ 15. Carraro on the wing. Time to give it a go and especially against Fekitoa as he likes to race up out of the line, Folau can get on his outside and create a 2 on 1.

Yeah, I'd be happy to see that.

If Folau played 13 though I'd put Guildford at fullback over Robinson. Much more experienced there.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'd like to see fat cat start at LHP, I know he's getting pretty tired around the park, but at least he can hold up one side of a scrum. THP should be whoever Blades deems is least worst out of Ryan and Ta'avo, with no TPN we really need some scrummaging nous up there. Would also like to see Skelton dropped to the bench for Lousi as a bit of a wake-up call, he made a lot of improvement last season, but in the two games so far he looks like he's just going through the motions.

In the backs I would be inclined to play Folau at 13, Guildford at 15 and Robinson on the wing, although I suppose the conservative option is to just move Carraro to 13.

On form, Highlanders have to go in as favourites. I hope the Tahs have scrummed their arses off over the last week!

On the bench, we're pretty light on for 10/12 cover with both Foley and Hegarty out, if Beale is injured Horwitz would move to 10, so I guess you need Stewart to cover 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I definitely don't think ryan deserves the start. It sends the wrong message about mediocrity.

At least one of Ryan and Ta'avao has to start. Hard to argue for either of them really.

Ryan probably had a better game against the Brumbies because he didn't give away so many boneheaded penalties.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
.......In the backs I would be inclined to play Folau at 13, Guildford at 15 and Robinson on the wing, although I suppose the conservative option is to just move Carraro to 13.

On form, Highlanders have to go in as favourites. I hope the Tahs have scrummed their arses off over the last week!

On the bench, we're pretty light on for 10/12 cover with both Foley and Hegarty out, if Beale is injured Horwitz would move to 10, so I guess you need Stewart to cover 12.
I'd be picking the best defensive option at 13 this week,their 13 & 15 are arguably NZ's best.
So that means Carraro in the absence of Horne.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
10259779_10153600294532144_3174412884068330542_n.jpg

Looks like that assumption might have been premature.

It would appear that Rob Horne is fine.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Don't agree with Palu starting. Holloway has been very good, and at this stage of his career I think Cliffy is better as an impact player off the bench.
There seems to be plenty of talk about backs and backrowers, but nobody's mentioning the front row (don't mention the war!!)

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
For the Highlanders, indications are that Osborne is out, Luke Whitelock is out, Wheeler and Pryor looking unlikely. Pryor is the biggest loss. That mad, dreadlocked bastard is everywhere. But we will know for sure closer to gameday.

G

galumay

An interesting match up, an understrength Highlanders against an underperforming Tah's side. Only one team has the ability to influence their handicap - the Tahs can lift and play well enough to win. I am hoping for a close win, but with no real conviction!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not sure the Tahs are underperforming, after two games. There are only two unbeaten teams in the competition, and the Tahs lost to one of them. Underperforming compared to what?

Either team is able to influence the result. The Highlanders are an excellent side, and the title-holders. If the Tahs win then they'll have beaten one of the top teams in the competition.

Let's not put the curse of faint praise on either of them yet. Super Rugby is better than that.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This match should be an absolute ball-tearer. The Highlanders play a gameplan for which the Waratahs have not yet found an antidote. Yet they will be looking for revenge no matter what the PR flacks have told them to say. There is also the need to not fall too far behind the Brumbies.

Last week the Highlanders scrum gave the Lions a real touch-up. Although the Lions had several of their second-stringers in it this was something of a surprise. What that scrum will do to the Waratahs could be very ugly.

That said, I reckon Gibson has been quietly planning revenge since last year's semi-final. The Highlanders are comfortable playing without the ball and often kick it away and try to regain it. When the Waratahs have the ball I expect a strategy of playing at extreme pace that will force the Highlanders to work very hard defensively in the expectation that fatigue will open some holes in the last 20 minutes. That and an absolute blitzkreig through the forwards with a view to getting on top of the Highlanders and changing the dynamic. The Highlanders forwards are good honest toilers not stars and rely on wearing down their opponents. They believe that they will eventually wear down other teams' attacks; but if they can be put under extreme pressure early then that self-belief is at risk.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think this has the potential to be an excellent game - one of the best of the early season. Both sides full of quality. slightly but not completely different styles. If the Tahs try to outplay (rather than squeeze) the Highlanders it'll be a cracker. Interesting portend of the Tahs' year to come (and of Gibson's likely method for approaching the rest of the season). They could play for the squeeze.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
This will be the clash of the round. The Tahs have unlucky to face the probably best teams of the competition in a row (Brumbies & Landers)

Status
Not open for further replies.