• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby R4 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Don't agree with Palu starting. Holloway has been very good, and at this stage of his career I think Cliffy is better as an impact player off the bench.
There seems to be plenty of talk about backs and backrowers, but nobody's mentioning the front row (don't mention the war!!)

Tahs have had the approach lately of getting right in the faces early of the top sides, I expect Palu will be\could be given the role of going hard for 30 minutes with Holloway finishing the match.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Much as I want the Clan to win this, they could struggle a bit if their forwards don't make big improvements, can see the Tahs slowing game down a bit and strangling them out of it by not kicking to them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Much as I want the Clan to win this, they could struggle a bit if their forwards don't make big improvements, can see the Tahs slowing game down a bit and strangling them out of it by not kicking to them.

I see the Clan killing the Tahs on turnovers

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm confused why so many Tahs fans are so negative about our chances.

We've only played two games and lost to the tournament favourites at their home ground which has traditionally been very hard for anyone to win at. We stayed close in that game for the majority of the match.

Our scrum is clearly our biggest weakness but outside of that we've looked pretty good.

The Tahs will start this match slight favourites with the bookies so if you really think we've got no chance you should bet on the Highlanders!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm confused why so many Tahs fans are so negative about our chances.

Our scrum is clearly our biggest weakness but outside of that we've looked pretty good.

!

On the one hand, it is important to appease the Mockers gods.

On the other hand, nobody wins anything important these days without a serviceable scrum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the other hand, nobody wins anything important these days without a serviceable scrum.

I don't think anyone thinks we're a realistic shot of winning the title.

I still haven't seen anything to indicate that the Tahs shouldn't be pushing to finish second in the Aussie conference and making the quarter finals in a wild card spot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I still haven't seen anything to indicate that the Tahs shouldn't be pushing to finish second in the Aussie conference and making the quarter finals in a wild card spot.

Apart from the Ponies I don't think there is any real quality in the Aus conference

Tahs set piece is just too average, when the matches get hard; and we have Tilse and Ryan packing down 5m out from our line, I have no confidence at all in it not resulting in a penalty try and a yellow card

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. Paddy Ryan (64 caps)

2. Tolu Latu (30 caps)

3. Angus Ta’avao (50 caps)

4. Dean Mumm (88 caps)

5. Will Skelton (41 caps)

6. David Dennis (VC, 94 caps)

7. Michael Hooper (C, 83 caps)

8. Wycliff Palu (122 caps)

9. Nick Phipps (84 caps)

10. Kurtley Beale (117 caps)

11. Zac Guildford (81 caps)

12. David Horwitz (2 caps)

13. Rob Horne (91 caps)

14. Matt Carraro (42 caps)

15. Israel Folau (47 caps)

Reserves

16. Hugh Roach (8 caps)

17. Jeremy Tilse (50 caps)

18. Tom Robertson (potential Super Rugby/ NSW debut)

19. Sam Lousi (6 caps)

20. Jed Holloway (6 caps)

21. Jack Dempsey (5 caps)

22. Matt Lucas (14 caps)

23. Reece Robinson (potential Super Rugby / NSW debut)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Nice to see some optimism from Tahs fans but I'm far from sanguine about our chances in this match, and for the rest of the season. After watching the first two Tahs matches live and having a good think about them I'm concerned about our tight five. The props worry me particularly: Ryan playing out of position, Tilse not improving after a million years in sky blue, Robinson waning and Ta'avao most unimpressive; added to the props' woes no TPN. The second row's not much better, Skelton looks to be cruising and Lousi bludging, Mumm's an honest toiler but no world-beater. Of the other forwards Dennis seems to be becoming a victim of Father Time, not as energetic as he once was. Nice to see Holloway coming through (what!, he's not in the 15 on Friday. Why not?). Hooper's played exceptionally well in the first two rounds. Thankfully.

Backs look to be the Tahs strength this year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I've bet that they won't.
I think our depth is a major concern,and both byes come way too early in the season.
It's going to be a long back 1/2 of the season.
Whilst many of the reserves/Extended squad are talented,they are raw,and I expect too many will be required to play with each other,too often this year.

G

galumay

I reckon its a bit early in the season to write the Tahs off just yet. Lets see how they develop into the season and how other sides go deeper into the competition. Should be the game of the round and I dont think the result is a foregone conclusion.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
1. Paddy Ryan (64 caps)

2. Tolu Latu (30 caps)

3. Angus Ta’avao (50 caps)

4. Dean Mumm (88 caps)

5. Will Skelton (41 caps)

6. David Dennis (VC, 94 caps)

7. Michael Hooper (C, 83 caps)

8. Wycliff Palu (122 caps)

9. Nick Phipps (84 caps)

10. Kurtley Beale (117 caps)

11. Zac Guildford (81 caps)

12. David Horwitz (2 caps)

13. Rob Horne (91 caps)

14. Matt Carraro (42 caps)

15. Israel Folau (47 caps)

Reserves

16. Hugh Roach (8 caps)

17. Jeremy Tilse (50 caps)

18. Tom Robertson (potential Super Rugby/ NSW debut)

19. Sam Lousi (6 caps)

20. Jed Holloway (6 caps)

21. Jack Dempsey (5 caps)

22. Matt Lucas (14 caps)

23. Reece Robinson (potential Super Rugby / NSW debut)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Wow - a truckload of experience
Major weakness - The scrum + forwards
Major strength: The Backs

It is interesting to see how Gibson handles the Tahs over the next few weeks - will the cracks get a bit deeper.

It is always a problem for a new good coach to fill the shoes of a great one

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Highlanders team
1. Brendon Edmonds (Loosehead Prop)
2. Liam Coltman (Hooker)
3. Siosiua Halanukonuka (Tighthead Prop)
4. Alex Ainley (Left Lock)
5. Tom Franklin (Right Lock)
6. Elliot Dixon (Left Flanker)
7. Shane Christie (Right Flanker)
8. Liam Squire (Number 8)
9. Aaron Smith (Scrum Half)
10. Lima Sopoaga (Fly Half)
11. Patrick Osborne (Left Wing)
12. Rob Thompson (Inside Centre)
13. Malakai Fekitoa (Outside Centre)
14. Matt Faddes (Right Wing)
15. Ben Smith (Full Back)
Reserves
16. Ash Dixon (FR)
17. Daniel Lienert-Brown (FR)
18. Ross Geldenhuys(FR)
19. Mark Reddish
20. Gareth Evans
21. Josh Renton
22. Hayden Parker
23. Jason Emery
I am pretty happy with that. As near to full strength as they could be. Front row won't lose much when the reserves come on.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As others have pointed out, the backs are the Tahs' strength atm, but that backline for the Highlanders will match them in every position. Thompson at 12 and Faddes on the wing were impressive last week and the rest are just about the ABs.

Looks like it will come down to a battle of the packs, and there would have to be some question marks about some of the Highlanders' pack. I at least have heard of and have seen the reserve front rowers play, but apart from Coltman the starting props are unknown to me. Are they likely to match up to the Tahs' starting front row which we all know is hardly made up of world beaters?

The backrow is where the Tahs are likely to have the edge, but I would have liked to see Holloway retained in the starting side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Highlanders front row will be good at scrum time. The Tahs will likely struggle for parity in this area.

I tend to think our forward pack will win the battle around the park though.

Should be a good game. There is some rain forecast for Saturday evening but hopefully it stays away.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I certainly give the Tahs a decent shot at winning. After all, that's still an experienced and well credentialed team they've put out there. The great thing about the Highlanders is how they've taken a group of unheralded blokes and fashioned a very tight group who play hard for each other. I think this will be a very good game.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

I do. Why not? We have a near-test quality team. They just have to play better than the other teams of similar ability. Any of the top five or six teams is in with a realistic shot of winning, as we discovered last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.