• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby R4 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Something that has gone under the radar or is a given. The Tah's have missed Foley this year. Kafer mentioned in the first half runners were unsure where to be for an off load when Beale was running the ball.

I also think NSW are unbalanced in the Second Row with the division of tasks, Line Out, Clean out in R&M, running the ball. Miss Douglas seems Lousi and Skelton are too similar and Mumm was admired when in UK.
Is there anyone on the fringes.

Is it worth starting with Hooper doppelganger rather than Latu.

I think Hooker might be the least of the Tahs' scrum woes.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
And while I don't think there was a scrum later in the game, I believe Tom Robertson could not in any way be as poor a scrummager as anyof the current front row starters. He looked pretty good last year in SS.

He actually isn't that any much better. Having watched him in the early exchanges of the NRC. QLD Country put a massive dint into the Stars pack which included Robertson, Latu and Tilse. They went up against Faagase, A Mafi (19), T Tupou (19).

The only change in the front row that will happen is if Robinson is fit. He will start if available. 1. Robinson 2. Latu 3. Ryan

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Surely Robinson, Ryan and Tilse should be regarded in the same vein as Palu? Over the hill, and time to get some new blood in for the sake of the future?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A couple of observations.

Firstly, this is Beale's 10th season in elite rugby, and he still cannot kick. How can this be?

Secondly, in a couple of years Hugh Roach could be a Wallaby, assuming that he fills out a bit.

Thirdly, my feeling is that we were a bit fitter than the Clan.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Reasons for Roach if he doesn't compromise Tah's scrum. Even though it is already compromised.
1. It's a change - a least appear to do something
2. Tah version of Pooper
3. May change pace of game in defence
4. Could work on attack

G

galumay

I was out last night so only just got to watch the game, what a cracker, 50 minutes of the Highlanders playing sublime, faultless and relentless rugby - even as a Tah's fan a pleasure to watch rugby played at that level.

Then 30 minutes of the Tah's dragging themselves back into the game and unbelievably, after being 0 at half time, had the chance to win the game at the end! What a comeback, what might have been if Beale had kicked better?

All in all a great game and I think the Tah's will gain a lot of confidence from their ability to turn that game around, not many sides will beat the Highlanders this season, very few will lose by less than 7 and i will be surprised if any score 26 points in a half against them.

The lineout was a lot better and the scums were a huge improvement, only got smashed in one and held their own in the rest. Still room to improve but after the first two games it was a sorely needed step up.

Highlanders will be happy with the win but there will be some concern that such a massive lead at half time was transformed into a nervous last few minutes where another try to the tahs would have cost them the game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs would be close to having the worst tight 5 in the comp at the moment. That bench lock looks worthy of more game time than your starters.

Tahs fans also need to get on their knees to the rugby gods and prey for the return of Foley. Beale has no game management skills frankly.

Scoreline flattered the Tahs and the Clan should have put 50 on them but the shut up shop and went to sleep. Tahs got some very lucky calls for the last two tries and that polished up the scoreline.

Clan went into that game with their own injury concerns and it put pressure on bench quality. No excuses but it is a scary thought that they can play a full 80 like they did the first 40 when they get some players back.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I thought the game changed when the Tahs bench came on. They were much better than their counterparts.

What is wrong with Folau ? His passing and running game have gone to shit. He is the weapon the Tahs need but he has gone (IMO) from an absolute game changer into an ordinary fullback. Tahs need him back at his best....

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Surely Robinson, Ryan and Tilse should be regarded in the same vein as Palu? Over the hill, and time to get some new blood in for the sake of the future?

Obviously this is true, but all the good props from NSW seem to have gone elsewhere. ;)
Finding decent ones who just happen to be loitering around is not so easy. People quoting Shute Shield form as an obvious cue that they'll be good at Super level are a bit fanciful. The mistakes (training, improving and recruiting) were made in years past (and the application of the retrospectoscope helps to say "I told you so") and no Ledesma isn't helping either.
Ryan isn't so much over the hill, as "just never had the bad habits fixed properly". It may be too far gone, but physically, he has apparently always been fine (talking to someone who actually knows). He's not too old to prop better, but I don't know that Blades will get him there, from a technical point of view. And he's not a LHP.
It's all too depressing.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
The lineout was a lot better and the scums were a huge improvement, only got smashed in one and held their own in the rest. Still room to improve but after the first two games it was a sorely needed step up.

I don't know what game you were watching. The Highlanders stole almost 50/60% of lineout ball and although they only won one scrum penalty (the only feed on your ball) they were more than comfortable on there own ball and could sit there all night if need be, not to mention the no scrums in the last 15-20 minutes.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought the game changed when the Tahs bench came on. They were much better than their counterparts.

What is wrong with Folau ? His passing and running game have gone to shit. He is the weapon the Tahs need but he has gone (IMO) from an absolute game changer into an ordinary fullback. Tahs need him back at his best..

Folau is so much better when Beale was more the roving second playmaker, as in 2014/5 and he had better lines and angles to run. The key that is missing is Foley, as the whole attacking balance is off at the moment. Beale is, and has always been, better as that second role, whether it be strictly at 12 on attack, or floating in from wing or 15.

G

galumay

I don't know what game you were watching. The Highlanders stole almost 50/60% of lineout ball and although they only won one scrum penalty (the only feed on your ball) they were more than comfortable on there own ball and could sit there all night if need be, not to mention the no scrums in the last 15-20 minutes.

Not the game you were watching, whatever it was. We lost 3 out of 15 lineouts, so they stole 20% in the game i watched. They lost 2 out of 13 so we stole about 15% of theirs. As I said much better than we have been.

Both sides had a penalty from their scrums, sure they were comfortable on their own feed but they couldnt gain any dominance - in previous weeks the Tahs would have been pedalling backwards and given away penalties. As I said, much better than we have been.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Not the game you were watching, whatever it was. We lost 3 out of 15 lineouts, so they stole 20% in the game i watched. They lost 2 out of 13 so we stole about 15% of theirs. As I said much better than we have been.

Both sides had a penalty from their scrums, sure they were comfortable on their own feed but they couldnt gain any dominance - in previous weeks the Tahs would have been pedalling backwards and given away penalties. As I said, much better than we have been.

No doubt it was better than the first two weeks. We only got badly shunted once. But we will never be a threat at scrum time with the cattle/fwds coach we've got. Next week we are away to the Reds, another very strong scrum, so we are going to get some more good practice. I hope Fat Cat is back next week so that we can share the THP duties between Ta'avo and Ryan and also give Robertson a decent amount of time at the back end of the game.

We are up against good scrummagers till round 9, so we'll get plenty of practice - especially since we contrive to drop so much ball!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What is wrong with Folau ? His passing and running game have gone to shit. He is the weapon the Tahs need but he has gone (IMO) from an absolute game changer into an ordinary fullback. Tahs need him back at his best..
Had ankle surgery in November didn't he after the world cup? Quick google suggests 3 months recovery which suggests he mIght be still recovering form and fitness from that

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Gotta love Hooper. Really turned the game around with his follow me lads determination.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Almost a great comeback.

Whoever thought that the Tahs could go into a season of Super Rugby with the peroxide beanpole and Tilse at TH should be fired. A complete failure of judgement. Seriously. No excuses.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Folau is so much better when Beale was more the roving second playmaker, as in 2014/5 and he had better lines and angles to run. The key that is missing is Foley, as the whole attacking balance is off at the moment. Beale is, and has always been, better as that second role, whether it be strictly at 12 on attack, or floating in from wing or 15.

Absolutely, leave the meat and potatoes stuff for Foley (straightening the attack, distributing the ball, kicking goals) then Beale can focus on the random extras

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

More of a problem with Latu throwing

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Robinson was very effective last season, playing long, long minutes each week

With Kepu, the Tahs were quite solid

Status
Not open for further replies.