• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Dropped out of Latin at the end of year 11. Rates as one of my ten all time best decisions. I didn't have a clue.
Hawko,

That's 5 more years than me. That puts you in the expert category along with Cyclo. If only some of the players pursued their Latin for just a few years. Tom Carter would be so much better if he were able to yell at Digby, "Prima facie, res ipsa loquitur, Diggers!" rather than, "You've just @$&&" lost you $&@@&/;"@$))&; so stick that up your )&)&@$&@ bum!"

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Like every Tahs fan I was disappointed that Mowen was allowed to leave. Clearly the Brumbies could offer him a position as a key player in their side (and now the captaincy).

Dennis and Palu were always going to be in direct competition with Mowen at the Tahs. I'm more than happy they kept both of them. Palu was missing last night but he has been about our best player in the first two rounds. Arguably his form is close to his best. Obviously only time will how healthy he can stay this year. Given that he was only withdrawn due to hamstring tightness I'd expect him back next weekend against the Force.

Elsom could prove to be a bad signing. I guess it will depend on when he comes back and how he goes for the rest of the season. If he's back in a couple of rounds and plays through the season he could still prove to be a very good acquisition. I still think Elsom is young enough that if he gets fit he can be one of the best players in Super Rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thinking first thing to try would be straight swap with Horne, i.e. Hangers 10, BB 12, Carter 13. Horne has been struggling this year. Why?

First time he's strung 3 80 min games together for a long time, I'm guessing he's still a little tentative with his body and is working into it. As he plays longer I'm sure his form will improve. Certainly not complaining as long as he's staying on the field.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All true Braveheart - but my answer is they have been making these type of mistakes for years.
I shall say no more about until 3:35 next saturday!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think one of the Tahs problems is that they have performed fairly well for quite a long time. It means that they don't turn over as many players as some teams and have good players in most positions.

It also means that we miss out on most of the young talent coming through. Given the choice between being the second or third choice at the Tahs or going straight into the matchday 22 at another franchise is a fairly obvious choice for a young player looking for opportunity.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Agree with Suckerforred's post except to add the game was lost due to a missed kick from in front of the posts. I said in week 1 that Hangers is a good squad player to provide depth for the 10 position. He is not a starter. His game is limitted in all aspects, at best he is a tradesman. Bite the bullet and start Foley at 10 with Barnes at 12 to provide solidity and take off the pressure. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can go back to 15 where he has more impact.

IMO with McCutcheon gone M. Foley must look to bring in a replacement as I do not think that the Tahs can afford to persevere with Alcock as his defence is just lacking and creates a big weak link in a very impressive pack.

As for TPN's throwing, it has really taken a turn for the worse, with the same pack as he had last year (when he was fit). It is a massive concern as the Tahs game plan requires solid first phase possession, and the fact is there are a lot more lineouts than scrums (usually).

I do not prescribe to the POV that the season is over for the Tahs or that thinks are looking grim, but they need to make changes as they will continue to struggle unless they do.

P

Paradox

It was great to see Fat Cat winning a turn over again - an immovable object over the ball.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
A
IMO with McCutcheon gone M. Foley must look to bring in a replacement as I do not think that the Tahs can afford to persevere with Alcock as his defence is just lacking and creates a big weak link in a very impressive pack.

Jono Jenkins was brilliant on the weekend. Hopefully he can fill the void

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Hangers was pretty good, he may not be the quickest unit, but he made/makes good decisions and seems to be a calming influence, keeping guys on track.

I also thought Timani was good as well. Even when he screwed up at the back of that scrum he got up worked hard and smashed the first guy he could.

Status
Not open for further replies.