• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Highlanders have looked pretty good the forst 2 rounds this year, so this will probably be a tough game. At least it will be played in the dry of the new stadium, but the tahs will need to be wary of the confrontational Highlanders pack, mud or no mud.

Early talk about Barnes adn McCutcheon passing fitness tests this week so they will be in contention. Would you rush them back in? What are peoples thoughts on how the starting team will look

anyone brave enough to throw out their predictions?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Definitely rush those two back. I'm getting worried about Mumm/Douglas/Dennis playing too many minutes, they haven't gone off yet and likely won't this week either. We desperately need some bench depth.

Packs should be pretty evenly matched, I'll go us by 3 with our centres being te difference.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Did you watch there game last week Qwerty? I'm certain the Waratahs looked at their draw and were pretty happy with this match up. Things aren't looking so easy after 2 rounds I think. Don't get me wrong I still think The Tahs can win, I just think it's a lot tougher than they expected.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
One of the best things about this is that we will be able to watch three games with Australian teams playing in them in a row this Saturday. But I digress

This one should be a good one, and though I lean towards NSW, I have so far not had a successful tip involving the Highlanders this season.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Did you watch there game last week Qwerty? I'm certain the Waratahs looked at their draw and were pretty happy with this match up. Things aren't looking so easy after 2 rounds I think. Don't get me wrong I still think The Tahs can win, I just think it's a lot tougher than they expected.

Our last visit to the home of the Highlanders was a disaster of Cheetah-like proportions on a wet miserable night in Invercargill. Although it will be warm and dry this time we never find the Highlanders easy to beat away. In my pre-season predictions I had this game down as a real 50-50. Given the Highlanders great form so far, its probably 40-60. Any Tah feeling confident about this one has probably been overdosing on their meds.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
It might not be warm, then walls don't go down to ground level so if the wind is coming from the right direction it blows right through. Won't make a huge difference to kicks and stuff, but it will keep them cool.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It might not be warm, then walls don't go down to ground level so if the wind is coming from the right direction it blows right through. Won't make a huge difference to kicks and stuff, but it will keep them cool.

It will be 1,000,000 times better than the last time they played there

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
But the tahs record in Dunedin has been good in super rugby, possibly our best in NZ. If Berrick and Cutch are back then I think we are a reasonable chance. I do expect Highlanders to win as I think our bench isn't strong enough to get us over the line in the last 20. I think it will be the hardest game we will have played this year and we will know alot more about where we stand in this years comp after this game.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any word on Siteleki Timani coming back yet? Supposed to be back last week.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
On the evidence of the first two rounds I would be worried if I were a Tahs man.

The Clan are fierce at the breakdown and play the game at a much higher pace. Their general skills levels have been higher than all the Aus and SA teams.

I'm going Clan by 7. Sorry. :(

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Looking forward to this one. Don't know if I could call a result, hoping rugby is the winner on the day.

Berrick if he is fit should start. I would be happy to send Hangers back to the bench. (although I don't think he deserves it after last week)

Hopefully both teams turn up at the breakdown, if so will be a joy to watch.

Dick Mccutchen and Alcock should share the load either way.

Is the bigger timani back yet?

N

Newter

Highlanders have looked pretty good the forst 2 rounds this year, so this will probably be a tough game. At least it will be played in the dry of the new stadium, but the tahs will need to be wary of the confrontational Highlanders pack, mud or no mud.

Early talk about Barnes adn McCutcheon passing fitness tests this week so they will be in contention. Would you rush them back in? What are peoples thoughts on how the starting team will look

anyone brave enough to throw out their predictions?

The Highlanders have probably been playing their best rugby. They look the best team in the competition, but unless they have great luck with injuries they will probably begin to slide downwards in about five or six weeks. Like last year.

Based on the intensity and organisation the Highlanders have been showing, they will win this game by 7+. That Hosea Gear try against the Crusaders was a perfect effort: the ball went through the hands of three or four right at the line of the defence, with no margin for error. Beautiful.

The Tahs look confident and might step up, but early in the season it might not matter enough to them.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Tahs look confident and might step up, but early in the season it might not matter enough to them.

If they lose this, they will have lost two out of three. To get the magic first or second spot you can only afford to lose three games. I very much doubt that they won't care enough. I am more worried that they don't yet have all the cattle assembled and ready, while the Highlanders look to be absolutely at their peak.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think this will be a bigger test for the Tahs than playing the Reds. Should be a close game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Highlanders have probably been playing their best rugby. They look the best team in the competition, but unless they have great luck with injuries they will probably begin to slide downwards in about five or six weeks. Like last year.

Based on the intensity and organisation the Highlanders have been showing, they will win this game by 7+. That Hosea Gear try against the Crusaders was a perfect effort: the ball went through the hands of three or four right at the line of the defence, with no margin for error. Beautiful.

The Clan have better depth than they have had in the past few years. They are in better shape to make the finals than they have ever been. Their achilles heel was at prop, back row and 10 and it all went to shit last year when they lost key players.

Much better roster in those positions this year. Having seen most of the backup players in the ITM last year this squad scares me.

Re Green jerseys: They announced at the start of the season that they were ditching them.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agree Blue. The Landers have over the past few years relied heavily on 2 or 3 backs and then had zero depth, but now they have 3 genuine 1st 5s (that are versatile), have at least 3 starting calibre midfielders and genuine speed. The fact Jimmy Cowan looked cranky as not to get even a minute of playing time vs the Saders is a positive sign for the Southerners.

The pack hit the line hard and have shown in the past 2 weeks that they have a gang of 2 approach to any ball carrier.

They are not world beaters, but winning 2 close ones where they would probably lost in the past, shows things are improving upstairs also.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep, I expect the battle of the packs to be fairly close, although it depends upon whether the Tahs can match the breakdown work of the Highlanders. I think the Clan back line has looked more enterprising, and despite the Tahs defence being pretty solid, that will be a difference. Clan by about 5-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.