• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Saw the Tahs train this morning in the positions mentioned and thought I would scoop everybody when I got home, but they released the team early.

Andrew Lees was refereeing a practice game though I didn't notice too much improvement in compliance.

Alcock didn't train; he has stitches that may come loose but will probably be on the bench on game day. Lopeti did not train; he had to go home because of visa problems and has to come back into the country. Big brother is arriving soon.

Sam Roberson was training with the team this week, but his status as being next cab off the rank of hookers is not confirmed.

Kirkpatrick Fitzpatrick had his ACL operation yesterday; let's hope it works better than the last one did.

Rocky is looking more mobile running up and down the field in the opposing practice team and also jumping in lineouts now.

Good to see Barnes and Cutch fit again and getting some players back, in general.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kirkpatrick had his ACL operation yesterday; let's hope it works better than the last one did.

You're living in the past LG!

1329.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My guess is that they aren't expecting Sook Face to play the whole game.

Hangers played very well last week, as did Carter. I thought Barnes could even start on the bench.

I think the emphasis on ball players may also be some of the "Gaffney" influence. He does like players who can catch, pass and support

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
An interesting concept. One wondered if those things had been coached out of the Tahs.

I wish that Beale had access to Gaffney when he started for the Tahs a couple of months after leaving school. It would have made his learning on the job a lot easier because catch, pass and support was a mantra at Joeys.

A

AlexH

I think the Highlanders have a clear advantage in the loose forwards department and I am hoping this is not the difference between the two teams come full-time. Hopefully, Barnes brings some of that form he showed at the end of last year to the table and Foley continues to make his presence felt. A win for the Waratahs here will be a win for Australian rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm expecting a big game from Rob Horne this round.

I think having Barnes inside him will result in him receiving some really good passes putting him into space.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I love the pack, it'll likely be the strongest we put out all season. Even if Rocky was fit there's no way I'd drop Dennis, the match up with Thomson is going to be huge.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I love the pack, it'll likely be the strongest we put out all season. Even if Rocky was fit there's no way I'd drop Dennis, the match up with Thomson is going to be huge.

Having Elsom, Dennis, Palu, McCutcheon and Alcock in Rotation will not be a bad thing.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
The team looks alright. I'm surprised that they will put Barnes back int he starting line up straight away. Wouldn't it be better to ease him back in, lest his hammies flare up again? Although with Barnes at 12 the ball might go a bit fast from the ruck to the wing. Carter is a fine enough player, but his ball distribution leaves something to be desired. Just like Harris will never be first choice 10 over Quade despite his kicking, both Harris and Carters wind up passes leave them open to be pole-axed by quick defence and the ball shutdown by the opposition.

Forwards are fine, and its a shame there are only 2 hookers in the squad now, I don't think we should worry until Taf starts going down for another chance to flirt with Sharon again. Looking forward to a cracking match on Saturday

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
With the game looking like it is going to be a tight and tough affair the selectors should be looking at fully fit players for the Tahs. The players will need to be full confident in both their abilities and their bodies. The Highlanders seem to be a side that are tough and capable enough not to be worn down by grafting play and and also play with sufficient stylish dourness to snuff out any opposing side's creativity.

Should be a good game: at risk of generating too much overly ambitious expectations.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I think having Barnes inside him will result in him receiving some really good passes putting him into space.

There won't be any space there for him.

Ben Smith looking likely to be back in time for Saturday. If not, IronJaw Slade can take his spot.
Prop Chris King has a groin niggle and may be rested, but his back up, Ma'afu Fia is back from injury now and played for the development squad on saturday. Apart from that, the squad should be pretty much the same. I would imagine it would be pretty hard to shift last weeks starting line up from their positions. Jimmy Cowan may well be glowering from the bench for another week.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am very surprised to see Carter dropped to the bench. I would like to believe it is part of a subtle masterstroke, or maybe an ongoing squad rotation policy, but it just looks like a dumb move.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was surprised also but talk was that Coach Foley was going to overlook Carter for Hangers in Round 1 based on Hangers trial form; then Barnes got hurt. Maybe I am wrong and it was for Round 2. Anyway Hangers let slip the info in an interview.

Hangers played very well in Melbourne and despite his two tries Carter is getting a reputation as being a stirrer on the park and the coach wants focus.

A lack of focus on discipline has been the Tahs biggest bugbear over two rounds and with the Clan kicking goals at 82% and the Tahs at 69%, albeit on a small sample, that discipline focus has to change.

It must have been a difficult decision for coach Foley but he is there to make them, and has.

Status
Not open for further replies.