• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Haskell has impressed me.

I will admit that I knew little of his play before the Clan signed him and thought wtf? when they signed him.

I get it now. He runs like a girl but he is brutally strong in contact. They have brought him on at about 50 mins in both matches and he cleans the rucks hard and drives the ball up around the fringes better than most. He takes the collision up a notch. We've only seen two weeks of it but it looks to be a very clever ploy.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes he's a very effective player, still a bit slow around the park as he gets used to the speed of the game here but once he's at the breakdown he's doing good things there.

Great signing.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs just won't dominate the Clan's pack as they would like and get a decent platform. The clan has the weapons out wide to do some damage. Hose Gear and Ellison to dominate out wide.

Clan by 10.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sad news for Fitzpatrick. Wonder who Foley has up the sleeve.

I like how Link has a couple of 'conversion project' hookers on the go for the Reds in Albert Anae and Mitchell Wade.

Okay, so they are not as good as Fainga'a or Hanson, but they were identified over a year ago and have played some games at hooker and done a bit of lineout throwing for Qld A, and in Anae's case, Sunnybank.

It's not ideal, but when the first choice rakes are unavailable these guys can plug a gap at Super Rugby level when needed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Folks should have a look at the Injury Wiki when it is up and running again. They have had a considerable amount of injuries such as:

Jarrad Hoeata - pre-season - bicep operation - Rd.5
Kendrick Lynn - 3/2/12 - v Crusaders trial - broken neck bone - unknown
Chris Noakes - 25/2/12 - Rd.1 v Chiefs - sprained ankle - Rd.3
Kade Poki - 3/2/12 - v Crusaders trial - chronic knee ligament strain - unknown
Siale Piutau - pre-season - operation on ankle tendon - unknown
Shaun Treeby - pre-season - knee operation - unknown

... yet they have used little known 12. Phil Burleigh and he has played well. In the forwards Crosswell, principally a backrower at the Super level has subbed for Hoeta brilliantly and 9. Aaron Smith has displaced Jimmy Cowan.

New recruits 2. Hore and 13. Ellison (the one test All Black and just off the plane from Japan) have settled in well and 6 Thomson would have to be the best player of the tournament to date.

The big surprise is meat and potatoes player 7. John Hardie, hardly a household name in NZ rugby.

Well that's probably not the biggest surprise - which is how the Clan are playing this year: it's though they have been the first ones in the world to discover that quick ball is the touchstone of good rugby and in that respect they even out-Crusadered the Crusaders last weekend.

Tahs fans will never forget the 2010 game in Invercargill, try as they might; so let's hope that the 2012 match in the new stadium against the Clan is not their worst game of the season this year also.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
It's a very simple game plan the Highlanders are playing. Always compete at the breakdown. The opposition can never take it for granted that they are going to get the ball back. If you are out wide and you get isolated, try to stay on your feet as long as possible. And that is basically from the horses mouth. There was a coaching course down here last friday with JamIe Joseph. It was great to be able to tell my boys at pre-season training what the game plan was to be and see it executed the next day.

John Hardie is well known down here in the South. He was outstanding in the National Provincial Competition last year for the Southland Stags. He has a lot of work to do to stay in starting line up, as the loose forward stocks are looking pretty good at the moment.

Jamie Joseph is a well respected coach and a hard bastard. he could well take the AB's in the future. I am looking forward to see how the season goes.

I am almost hoping for rain this weekend to spoil the fishing so I am forced to stay home and go to the rugby.

B

bazzamacca

Highlanders strength is counter-rucking. Bigstyle. Foley should consider employing the unfashionable tactic of mauling in order to keep the ball up off the ground. Tahs have the right pack to do it. The lightweights north of the Tweed certainly dont have this optionality.

Congrats to Otago on their new stadium BTW. Real character. Fantastic playing and spectating conditions!

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Folks should have a look at the Injury Wiki when it is up and running again. They have had a considerable amount of injuries such as:

Jarrad Hoeata - pre-season - bicep operation - Rd.5
Kendrick Lynn - 3/2/12 - v Crusaders trial - broken neck bone - unknown
Chris Noakes - 25/2/12 - Rd.1 v Chiefs - sprained ankle - Rd.3
Kade Poki - 3/2/12 - v Crusaders trial - chronic knee ligament strain - unknown
Siale Piutau - pre-season - operation on ankle tendon - unknown
Shaun Treeby - pre-season - knee operation - unknown

... yet they have used little known 12. Phil Burleigh and he has played well. In the forwards Crosswell, principally a backrower at the Super level has subbed for Hoeta brilliantly and 9. Aaron Smith has displaced Jimmy Cowan.

New recruits 2. Hore and 13. Ellison (the one test All Black and just off the plane from Japan) have settled in well and 6 Thomson would have to be the best player of the tournament to date.

The big surprise is meat and potatoes player 7. John Hardie, hardly a household name in NZ rugby.

Well that's probably not the biggest surprise - which is how the Clan are playing this year: it's though they have been the first ones in the world to discover that quick ball is the touchstone of good rugby and in that respect they even out-Crusadered the Crusaders last weekend.

Tahs fans will never forget the 2010 game in Invercargill, try as they might; so let's hope that the 2012 match in the new stadium against the Clan is not their worst game of the season this year also.

Sounds ominous.

Considering Lee is a great Tah's fan I am starting to feel bad about this. The Tah's trip to kiwi land this week may be compared to Custer's last stand. But done with trains instead of cavalry, to get that whole slow train wreck imagery going as well.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
The clock issue has been sorted. There had been a soccer game played at the stadium earlier in the year, and noone thought to change it back to the rugby settings, since they don't stop the clock for injury. The guy in charge said it was the longest 3 minutes of his life, which may well have been the last 3 minutes of his life if we had lost.

For a team that just out crusadered the crusaders, there must be a lot of confidence in the Highlanders camp. The crowd support they will get must surely lift them as well. The noise inside the stadium is unbelievable. Just does not come across on telly.

The rebels were probably not the best warm up to this game the 'Tahs could have had. Our #10 can tackle.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
That stadium does look very impressive. I imagine it must be pretty loud?

Although I do see they claim it to be the only undercover natural grass stadium in the world. This one in Arizona would probably claim the same title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix_Stadium which takes a particularly American approach to the problem...grass won't grow inside? Just wheel the field outside between games!

Reactions: BPC

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Worried about the Tahs' selections, this talk of droping Carter for Barnes and keeping Halangahu doesn't impress me. Questions the selectors should ask themselves: who's the best five-eighth?, and who's the best defender? The answers are Barnes>Halangahu and Carter/Barnes>Halangahu, respectively. Hangers should start from the bench. The rest of the team picks itself.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Just posted on their Facebook page.

TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT - Highlanders v HSBC WARATAHS
FxPro Super Rugby round 3, Saturday March 10, 2012, Kick off 5.35pm (AEST)

15. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
14. Tom Kingston (Sydney University)
13. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), captain
9. Sarel Pretorius (unattached)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood), vice captain

Replacements
16. John Ulugia (Southern Districts)
17. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
18. Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
19. Chris Alcock (Eastwood) Jono Jenkins (Sydney University)
20. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
21. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
22. Brackin Karuaria-Henry (Southern Districts)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can only think that Barnes is playing 12 because they don't want him to take over the goalkicking right away.

It will be interesting to see whether Carter is used only in the case of injury or whether he comes on as a replacement at a specific time. It would seem he has to come on at 12 and Barnes would then move to 10 (or come off if they feel he isn't ready for 80 minutes).

Despite the loss of Fitzpatrick, the inclusions of Barnes and McCutcheon certainly make this a stronger side than we have fielded so far this season.

Go the Tahs!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I can only think that Barnes is playing 12 because they don't want him to take over the goalkicking right away.

Go the Tahs!

I agree. It is really hurting us big-time that we don't have another good kicker in the team somewhere. The best thing Foley (B) can do right now and for the next few weeks is grab a mate to fetch the balls and head off to a suburban ground and practise kicking for a couple of hours a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.