• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders - Super Rugby round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be good having Barnes back.

Hangers has been playing as well (or probably better) than I've ever seen him, but he really doesn't have a very long boot.

Hopefully Barnes will improve our tactical kicing game as well as chewing off some more metres from penalty and clearance kicks.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
It will be good having Barnes back.

Hangers has been playing as well (or probably better) than I've ever seen him, but he really doesn't have a very long boot.

Hopefully Barnes will improve our tactical kicing game as well as chewing off some more metres from penalty and clearance kicks.

If Hangers is still in the side for the place kicking, assuming this is because BB is not 100% and doesn't want to rick his groin, will BB be going that much kicking and will he be kicking well with the idea in the back of his head that he hurt himself kicking? The big plus with have BB back will be his in play decision making and control of the game. However if he is not actually doing the kicking I am not sure that he will be that effective. Guess we will wait and see.

Confused I know but I am sure you will understand what I mean.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As far as I know, Barnes issue was with place kicking. I certainly get what you're saying, but I imagine he'll still be involved in the general play kicking.

I think even if Barnes kicked one with his shin he'd get similar distance to Hangers.

H

hoges5

I think the Highlanders have a clear advantage in the loose forwards department and I am hoping this is not the difference between the two teams come full-time. Hopefully, Barnes brings some of that form he showed at the end of last year to the table and Foley continues to make his presence felt. A win for the Waratahs here will be a win for Australian rugby.

Re-watched the Highlanders vs CRU yesterday and must say I think the Tahs are up against it this week. Tahs might have the best "spin" and PR in the country (apart from JOC (James O'Connor)), but they truly haven't looked that cohesive this year.
I'm a huge fan of TPN, Kepu, Dennis and Fatcat but not sure they will be able to hold the Highlanders at bay. Pretorious is fast on his feet but his pass is looking slower and slower as the backs be one more of a rabble.

Barney's cant get back soon enough, to both get Carter off the field and give them some direction. (carter has run 2 good lines in 2 games, defence is ordinary and as usual gets more press for controversy than playing rugby).

Adam Two-Dads looks lonely out on the wing and no-one looks likely of getting the ball to him, same goes for Kingston, who looks the goods.

Foley has been the find of the comp so far.....he will get a real workout with Gear, and the other 2 no name centers from Dunedin playing really well.

Too hard to pick this one

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
As far as I know, Barnes issue was with place kicking. I certainly get what you're saying, but I imagine he'll still be involved in the general play kicking.

I think even if Barnes kicked one with his shin he'd get similar distance to Hangers.

Barnes stated somewhere he hasn't practiced place kicking for 3 weeks

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
If Hangers is still in the side for the place kicking, assuming this is because BB is not 100% and doesn't want to rick his groin, .
I guess thats the big unknown - Hangers may be there based on form, and as LG stated this was always the plan - it may have nought to do with the kicking or BBs injury. Then again, all that could be the typical tah PR spin.....

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I hope I'm wrong but with Barnes coming off a groin injury and I feel Horne is "off the pace a bit" I feel there wont be enough "backbone in the back line", Carter does bring that element. I would prefer Barnes, Carter then Horne.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
How did pakalani go for the junior tahs in their last game?

Quite amazed to see foley retain BKH, one would assume paka must either be in poor form or still recovering.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was surprised also but talk was that Coach Foley was going to overlook Carter for Hangers in Round 1 based on Hangers trial form; then Barnes got hurt. Maybe I am wrong and it was for Round 2. Anyway Hangers let slip the info in an interview.

Hangers played very well in Melbourne and despite his two tries Carter is getting a reputation as being a stirrer on the park and the coach wants focus.

A lack of focus on discipline has been the Tahs biggest bugbear over two rounds and with the Clan kicking goals at 82% and the Tahs at 69%, albeit on a small sample, that discipline focus has to change.

It must have been a difficult decision for coach Foley but he is there to make them, and has.
Thats a huge call - how many penalties has Carter conceded this year?

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
I am disappointed Bryce Lawrence has got this game. His form hasn't been good lately.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Strange that the Tahs have the same referee two weeks in a row. Maybe if the Tahs can improve their discipline from last game it will work to their advantage. If Bryce can see an improvement from last week maybe he'll go soft on the Tahs.

We can only hope!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How did pakalani go for the junior tahs in their last game?

Quite amazed to see foley retain BKH, one would assume paka must either be in poor form or still recovering.

Forgot to mention that in that PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) thread, he didn't play.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If Halangahu really has to be retained, I would probably have shifted Carter out to 13 and either benched Horne or shifted him out to the wing.

In any case, I'm pretty sure Carter will get half a game (and if he is really so poisonous to the team culture, why have him in the squad at all?). I only hope Carter coming on is not because of an injury (especially to Barnes or Horne).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Still a huge call - there's room for the view that he is the heart and soul of the team.

A team that has a petulant plodder as their heart and soul deserve all the under-achievement that comes their way.

I am a long standing Waratahs supporter, I go back to the mid sixties, and have seen some wonderful Waratahs teams. Carter is not the heart and soul of anything, compared to many of the greats that have been inspirational over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.