• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Samoa Trial - Tamworth - 10th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I could be looking through Blue and White glasses but surely some of the non contracted Eastwood players that dominated the Shute Shield last year could make that NSW 2nd team. Perret has already been mentioned but what about Pikula, Bennets or Batger?
Also think your alittle harsh on Perret- sure he didnt set the world on fire but he was thrown into the deep end without the benefit of a long pre-season to know the team structures/systems. Believe he was also working full time also.

Squads are now 30

The Tahs have plenty of quality backrowers - so much so that any fringe options need to be development units, not a 30yro all-rounder backrower.

Bennetts was overtaken by Kingston as back up for Horne and looked for other options

Pikula? dunno why good player, but the Tahs squad has solid 12 coverage and Carter doesn't get injured.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hodgey has built himself up considerably during the off season. It's good to see that he has abandoned Sevens to focus on real rugby.
I thought this guy was one of Uni's best in their two matches against the Two Blues last year. Not easy to stand out in a team like theirs but he did everything with skill, at pace and seemed to have plenty of time.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I would prefer Jono Jenkins at 7 to both McCutch and Alcock. I cant believe he hasn't got a Super 15 contract somewhere. On the positive side, at least he is in the mix and hopefully we see him get run before the season kicks off.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Test

Am at the ground. Will try to give some updates during the night.

Will mention players by initials. The referee is Steve Walsh by the way.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was getting a bit worried they would be playing 120 minutes of rugby over 22 players, that's good news although I'm not expecting much from the Samoan tbh, they lost to Japan in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup).

N

Newter

Anyone willing to put their body on the line for the sky blue jersey like Berrick does is NSW enough for me

Of course he puts in. But when you've got P-Nau and Tom Carter and other diehard Waratahs playing, it's a crime to give the captaincy to a Qld import.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Of course he puts in. But when you've got P-Nau and Tom Carter and other diehard Waratahs playing, it's a crime to give the captaincy to a Qld import.
Get over it, Newter. In this day and age, professionals move from province to province, even country to country, and you want the best possible candidate leading the team, not the one with the bluest blood. Phil Waugh might bleed Waratah Blue, but I for one would argue his captaincy skills were wanting. An inspirational leading figure on the park, but not necessarily a good captain. The two are different.

N

Newter

Get over it, Newter. In this day and age, professionals move from province to province, even country to country, and you want the best possible candidate leading the team, not the one with the bluest blood. Phil Waugh might bleed Waratah Blue, but I for one would argue his captaincy skills were wanting. An inspirational leading figure on the park, but not necessarily a good captain. The two are different.

Well fuck me. What's the point of Super rugby if it's just a random allocation of imports across the competition teams? Where will this logic take us next - 22 match day players who've never lived in Sydney or the bush or any of the regions playing as the "Waratahs"?

Either the jersey means something or it doesn't.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well fuck me. What's the point of Super rugby if it's just a random allocation of imports across the competition teams? Where will this logic take us next - 22 match day players who've never lived in Sydney or the bush or any of the regions playing as the "Waratahs"?

Either the jersey means something or it doesn't.

Like it or not it is no longer a rep team. The Tahs are a commercial professional sports team - like the Boston Red Socks or the Auckland Blues. Same as the Queensland Reds.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, that would be great if we time warp back to amateur days. But we are stuck with professionalism, so best get used to it. Of course, then we'd just have Qld and NSW since none of the other teams would have enough home grown players. If a NSW man is good enough, fine. If someone else is the better option, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.