• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Stormers, Round 9 2015, Saturday 11 April

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Plan B should be to use Horne at 12 in attack as well as defence.
Certainly an option. He was certainly the strongest runner into contact in the backs. Although the lack of penetration by several larger. and usually pretty effective ball runners highlighted the effectiveness of the Stormers' defence. In addition to crashing another back into the wall, maybe more creativity was also needed to take advantage of the rush defence - getting the ball in behind it somehow. The Tahs never made the Stormers "doubt" their defensive pattern at all.
On another topic, it was noticeable that the speed of recycling the ball by the Tahs was well down on what they have done when they play well - Phipps was stopping and looking for players to get set to receive the ball much more than usual. The whole structure in attack was thrown off. A really lacklustre effort.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Plan B should be to use Horne at 12 in attack as well as defence.

He's certainly an option there, and we don't seem to have any other really physical inside centre option at all.

For all his match-winning brilliance, KB (Kurtley Beale) has definite limitations in that postion (see post #156). When confronted with a rushing, flatline defence, these limitations imact those around him - particularly the 5/8 as he doesn't give them the hard-running option.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I had to eat my bumble pie to some extent last year with his contribution to the title undoubted, but this game is the perfect example of what I don't like about his game and why I real really don't want to see him anywhere near 10 or 12 for the Wallabies (if he really must be selected at all).

Beale's most effective attacking weapon last year and early this year was his inside pass. Once teams started to figure that out, he hasn't offered much more. The combination between him and Folau in attack also seems to have gone missing, maybe because he is again running across field and throwing poor passes under pressure.

However, he wasn't Robinson Crusoe last night. Can't remember ever seeing Kepu run so many metres sideways as well. Skelton seemed to be the only Tah willing to run straight and take the hits that were being dished out. Liking him more and more since he's been working on his scrummaging.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Beale's most effective attacking weapon last year and early this year was his inside pass. Once teams started to figure that out, he hasn't offered much more. The combination between him and Folau in attack also seems to have gone missing, maybe because he is again running across field and throwing poor passes under pressure.

However, he wasn't Robinson Crusoe last night. Can't remember ever seeing Kepu run so many metres sideways as well. Skelton seemed to be the only Tah willing to run straight and take the hits that were being dished out. Liking him more and more since he's been working on his scrummaging.

The outside backs can't do much when the 10 and the 12 are constantly crabbing cross field. They could look to use the blind side winger hitting aninside ball off either 10 or 12, but I can't recall that happening once this year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Speaking of blindside winger plays: if I never see that blindside play to IF from a scrum it will be too soon.

Well, that was quite possibly the worst blind side play in rugby history. First of all the blindside winger was on the open side, then the half didn't follow and the No 8 and the blindside flanker seemed not to know what happening. It was on the opposite side of the field, so I'm not even sure there was enough room for it.

I do like the idea of using Folau on a blindside play from a scrum, but it needs to be better thought out and executed than that.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tahs should work at their T5 and 1st phase. Thats where the Stormers won the game. Rugby really dont need plan B,C.D to Z. Won the 1st phase and the war has been won.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs should work at their T5 and 1st phase. Thats where the Stormers won the game. Rugby really dont need plan B,C.D to Z. Won the 1st phase and the war has been won.
Given the amount of ball they had the set piece is not the problem, though the lineout was very poor, it is everything they didn't do with the ball. Working on the tight 5 and 1st phase will not change that. They need to be able to do something didn't with the ball in hand or on the foot when like last night they are not breaking the line or even making a debt in the defence.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I found it interesting that the Tahs struggle against the defensive structure of the Stormers.

The are one of the few sides that don't rush, keep their spacing and just tackle

So no disjointed pressuring line, just a steady blanket that on the night waited and tackled hard.

Add to that, the Tahs struggled to effectively cleanout, they were inaccurate and had to invest too many units - and that means less units in the following phases, back foot ball and the death spiral grows

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I've had some time to think about this, and I'm not as down about this match as some others.

We always struggle with the Stormers. Go back to the corresponding fixture two years ago, where we couldn't penetrate their defensive line for the whole game, before finally breaking through late and winning by 3.

It's not about being more creative, or having a 'Plan B', it's about carrying out our Plan A well and most importantly persevering, knowing that their defensive line will tire in the last 10 as it did in 2013.

And we were in it all the way, but just couldn't quite do the job well enough. Our forward runners were a bit static, and they did a really good job of slowing our ruck ball.

When you add to that a chip kick that bounces perfectly, and a well-taken intercept, then that's the game. They had their noses in front enough and their defence lifted accordingly.

Propsperspective

Frank Nicholson (4)
After watching that game, it fills me with dread to think of the Wallabies in November. Besides adding a few Brumbies here and there our forward pack and backline might as well be Waratahs light and to me that was more like a test than Super rugby game and the Tahs were monstered. Here's hoping it was just an off day but we will know more when we play the Crusaders this weekend.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Crusaders apparently are playing both the Chiefs and the Tahs this weekend. And yesterday it was reported that the Rebels were playing both here and against the Cheetahs in SA. Some teams do things tough.;)

Are the Hurricanes due for a walkover?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I found it interesting that the Tahs struggle against the defensive structure of the Stormers.

The are one of the few sides that don't rush, keep their spacing and just tackle

So no disjointed pressuring line, just a steady blanket that on the night waited and tackled hard.

Add to that, the Tahs struggled to effectively cleanout, they were inaccurate and had to invest too many units - and that means less units in the following phases, back foot ball and the death spiral grows

The Stormers committed only a few players to the tackle and subsequent ruck, therefore they had increased numbers of players available for defence.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I could not believe that the Tahs did not change their attack at half time. They attacked in two lines. All the Stormers di was make sure they make the first up tackle, commit no numbers, then they had the numbers every time in the second phase of attack.

This is not a dig, but I would expect more from a side coached by Cheika. He is smarter than that. They barely every tried to work the fringes or use straight runners off the first receiver once they saw what the Stomps were doing.

Anyway the Stomps did great to win like that without the World's Most Feared Man.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I could not believe that the Tahs did not change their attack at half time. They attacked in two lines. All the Stormers di was make sure they make the first up tackle, commit no numbers, then they had the numbers every time in the second phase of attack.

This is not a dig, but I would expect more from a side coached by Cheika. He is smarter than that. They barely every tried to work the fringes or use straight runners off the first receiver once they saw what the Stomps were doing.

Anyway the Stomps did great to win like that without the World's Most Feared Man.
That is what shitted me the most. Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.