• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs Vs Bulls Rnd 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl, pig's arse, mate. Bulls were not much hungrier, they were less sucky. I was there, and they played limited risk "hoof-ball" and waited for the Tahs to go full retard with their inane midfield kicks, and penalties within Steyn-radar range.
If the Tahs had a clue, they could have won. They had enough ball and field position to play a percentage game and take it. But they cannot.
They didn't, the Bulls waited for their chances and took them.
And, full credit to them, too.
:) Cyc sound like you had a good time Boet. I watch the 2nd half and the Brutes cross the advantage line much easier compare to the Tahs that lost it in the contact time after time. The nearer the end came the more passionate that Steri Stampi Brutes got. It was like reading a scriptbook that ended well for them. Maybe I just know that lot better.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Congrats to the Brutes and Blou. Big win this, playing like shite still able to pull this one off. Signs of a champ. They deserve to win looked much more dangerous on attack to the Tahs that did the wrong thing to try and play around the frindges against the wrong team.

This is exactly right. The difference between a contender and a pretender is knowing what to do when the game is on the line. Well done, Bulls. Waratahs are a long way from having that ability to eke out the wins through pure quality.

On the upside, Rocky had a cracker and Barnes was much more threatening too.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
This is exactly right. The difference between a contender and a pretender is knowing what to do when the game is on the line. Well done, Bulls. Waratahs are a long way from having that ability to eke out the wins through pure quality.

Agree on all points. Also thought ulugia and pakalani had good games. Really liked the Horne AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) pairing, saw some good work there, and it was great to see Horne looking amped.

Mumm otoh, meh. Letting themselves get kicked into that corner in the last 5, meh. Teams 2012 season, meh.

Re bulls: good but not great, steyn is a large part of their game, he bores you to tears but a matchwinning player, pure class.

Ath.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That was another disappointing loss by the Tahs. This season has the feeling of 2007 about it when we lost or drew some winnable games under Link and ended up 2nd last.

It may sound like sour grapes but I didn't think that the Bulls were up to much except for a few good kicks and acting like maniacs in the rucks - which I mean as a compliment. The Tahs were not much chop either and it made for a low quality match.

The big difference in the game was that the Bulls played the big moments better. As elite tennis players know: there are only so many big moments in a sporting contest and the Tahs couldn't take them and the Bulls did.

I commend them for that. They will know they have to play better against the top teams but that is the 2nd week in a row in Oz that they have not been stellar but won a close contest. Their top form will come later, but meantime they have banked 9 points in two games away.

That's the kind of accumulation that can help to get a home match in the finals.

Well done Bulls.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
Kafer has it right with the Tahs. Almost every time they get into a winning position (and last night they were there again) they choke up. Their second half performances are just full of fear of losing.

For all the possession they had they just do not do enough with the ball on attack. The positives were that Uligia probably had his best match, Elsom played quite well too (seems nowdays one or two runs across the advantage line is enough to say he played well), Barnes played OK and Hangers actually hit the line quite well from the back surprised me). The scrum was good, the lineout OK and they had plenty of pill.

There is still such a lack of variety in attack though. Pretorious was just a poor poor signing. Why do you sign a guy as a MARQUEE player if he cannot pass adequately? NSW got sucked in by some highlights of this bloke last year. So from there your attack will always stutter. Then you have Barnes who cannot consistently put the ball in front of his runners and they lose momentum going into contact. Its only small amounts but its crucial to dominating the contact zone.

You have 2 centres (who IMO are the wrong way around) who do not ever pass to their outside men. Its so easy to defend when they get it as two or three blokes just come in and smash as they know AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne will not pass. The entire Tahs attack take the ball flat footed and then try to put on a step and gain pace once they have the ball. How is easy is that to defend?

In essence their coaching is a mile off, Foley has shown little ability to change this and incorporate any type of ensemble play. You can say they have had some injuries but by and large its the system that doesnt work.

Last night for instance I saw a NSW scrum with Elsom on the open side! The ball went to his side, Alcock then had to go from blind side to the next ruck and clean out. Elsom who had started open watched as Alcock worked his a$$ off then took the ball in the next phase and made a run. Just stupid rugby, no efficiency what so ever.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure whether the stats indicated it but it certainly looked like the Bulls crossed the advantage line in general forward play far more often than the Tahs. Plus a kicking game out of hand that was far superior won them the game.
Bulls need to shore up there back line defence if they are to go any further. A team swinging it wide will certainly cause them far more problems, a tactic the Tahs used far too seldom last night. They looked more like scoring when they did but insisted on keeping it tight for some reason with very little reward.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Kafer made a comment about how Barnes has always had a good pass, then they showed highlights of his long and very loopy passing. Sure he has a very good short passing game but pretty poor long passing game. Couple this with two non passing centres and it is no wonder the Tahs attack is going no where.

I would be tempted to go back to hangers at 10 and Barnes at 12 to try and free up the attack a bit more.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bulls need to shore up there back line defence if they are to go any further. A team swinging it wide will certainly cause them far more problems, a tactic the Tahs used far too seldom last night. They looked more like scoring when they did but insisted on keeping it tight for some reason with very little reward.

Not sure what the Tahs expected with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. Terrible move.

Barnes is overrated, he cannot run a backline effectively with the ball. Never takes the ball to the line and just moves laterally once then wafts a pass.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Hmmm. I thought we were much better through the centers last night. Must have watched a different game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We couldn't finish with a thousand minutes spent in their 22

slow ball, one out running, no width, no deception, no support

Horne got the ball once in space getting the ball 3 times all game, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) got the ball 9 times off loading once

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
is it just me or is Barnes actually pretty damn poor at general play kicking. I mean he has skill but his decision making is very poor (in terms of kicking). I don't think we can regard him as a tactical kicker anymore, which I once thought he was.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We couldn't finish with a thousand minutes spent in their 22

I know. Depressing. I'm not suggesting it was a good performance from the inside backs, just that it was better than the poo-poo platter served up in Canberra.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

Rocky got smashed in contact numerous times, I can only remember him making one strong run.You simply cannot let him start ahead of Dennis again.

Status
Not open for further replies.