• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Crusaders - 2011R03

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I can't see anything other than a Waratah's victory here. Just can't see how the Crusaders can be focused given everything thats happened. I predict a rout. 47-12 or something like that.

Waratahs have looked the best team in the comp so far - simply not the time the Crusaders want to be facing up against them.

From the Crusaders point of view it is a very big ask. I agree.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Waugh back in the mix is a big plus for the Tah's this weekend.

The SBW/Fruen centre combination will be keenly watched by Robbie Deans. It is the closest thing to a Nonu/SBW pairing he will see until the internationals start. You would think that if we meet the AB's in the final at the WC he will have to utilise a bigger midfield than he did on the EOYT to counter their dominance, physicality and offloads over our current midgets. Maybe Horne can prove himself to be part of the answer.

Prediction
I wouldn't be suprised to see the Tah's leading into half-time before a McCaw/Blackadder half-time speech about all the tragedy in Christchurch which pumps up the Saders beyond belief, snatching the win from my Tah's.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Hangers is a great replacement. If he gets injured Kurtley comes to 10, Turner to 15 and Pakalani to 14 and all is right with the world.

Expected to see Ben start this week but given the front row interchange laws he can come on at the first sign of trouble with Franks and Kepu can go back on to cover any subsequent injury.

Very surprised to see O'Connor in as the reserve for the 22. Why they wouldn't take both Alcock and Cutch, with Waugh injured and Cutch returning from injury is a mystery. The only possible reason I can think of is that either Mumm or Douglas are fighting an injury and may not make it back in time.

Feel sorry for Alcock. Bloke does everything that's asked of him and still gets overlooked.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Team

Waratahs squad:
Kurtley Beale,
Lachie Turner,
Rob Horne,
Tom Carter,
Drew Mitchell,
Daniel Halangahu,
Luke Burgess,
Ben Mowen,
Phil Waugh (c),
Dave Dennis,
Kane Douglas,
Dean Mumm,
Al Baxter,
Tatafu Polota-Nau,
Sekope Kepu.

Damien Fitzpatrick,
Benn Robinson,
Sitaleki Timani,
Pat McCutcheon,
Brendan McKibbin,
Ryan Cross
Afa Pakalani,
Pat O’Connor

Duncher

Herbert Moran (7)
Well may the boogy man check under his bed for Chuck Norris before going to sleep, but I reckon Chuck Norris must check under his bed for Phil Waugh... How tough is he???

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
beale can back up at flyhalf, remember it was hangas that put the nail in the coffin for the Reds and Blues in the 2010 season.

my Bench would be
16: Fitzy
17: Kepu
18: Sitaleki Timani (we really need a nickname for him)
19: Waugh
20: McKibben
21: Cross
22: Pakalani.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
beale can back up at flyhalf, remember it was hangas that put the nail in the coffin for the Reds and Blues in the 2010 season.

my Bench would be
16: Fitzy
17: Kepu
18: Sitaleki Timani (we really need a nickname for him)
19: Waugh
20: McKibben
21: Cross
22: Pakalani.

mmmm, Let's see, Iron Gloves is taken...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I, for one, am very pleased to see concussions taken seriously and precaution rests being employed. They have some of the worst long-term health consequences of any sporting injury and putting that first is great to see.

B

BRIX

Lol. The double rats tail is hectic. T-money a.k.a. Twin Tower

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I, for one, am very pleased to see concussions taken seriously and precaution rests being employed. They have some of the worst long-term health consequences of any sporting injury and putting that first is great to see.

From my reffing days I thought a minimum three week rest and then a return only with medical clearance was the norm for concussion....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So Halangahu replaces Barnes and he is replaced on the bench by Pakalani. If Halangahu is injured Beale will replace him. Pakalani will most likely go to the wing with Turner moving to fullback, but don't be too surprised to see Pakalani swapping directly with KB (Kurtley Beale) if Hangers is hurt. IIRR he played fullback for part of the game for the JWs against Tonga A at Forshaw and went OK - or at least he found himself in the position a few times later in the game.

Despite splitting the webbing on his hand last week McCutcheon replaces Alcock on the bench.

I will be very interested to see if the Tahs forwards are able to impose their physicality as they did in the first two rounds and if their set pieces are just as precise. The Crusaders are a fair litmus test.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
From www.crusaders.co.nz
The Crusaders team to play the Waratahs at Trafalgar Park, Nelson, on Friday March 4, kick-off 7.35pm, is:

1. Wyatt Crockett

2. Corey Flynn

3. Owen Franks

4. Brad Thorn

5. Sam Whitelock

6. George Whitelock

7. Matt Todd

8. Kieran Read (Capt)

9. Andy Ellis

10. Daniel Carter

11. Adam Whitelock

12. Sonny Bill Williams