• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Crusaders - 2011R03

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BRIX

Gun team - all to play for too.

Despite splitting the webbing on his hand last week McCutcheon replaces Alcock on the bench.

Geez, that wont help the odd pilfer attempt. Saw a fair bit of McCutcheon on the 7's circuit. He's probably looking at at-least 20 minutes on the grass, and if Matt Todd is still on with the game in the balance that could be interesting

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Got it covered ; Timani = T-Money.

Or Rats, those things are disgusting.
That's great, T-Money is his rapper name that he uses i'n da hood.

Have updated his wiki profile at Sitaleki Timani, new picture of the double-rat as well.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Big matchups across the park. The midfield has been talked about but more interesting to me is a few of the battles up front.

The front row battle will be very interesting. Baxter was heavily penalised in the corresponding game last year packing against Crockett. If he is serious about getting back into the Wallabies he needs a strong performance this weekend. On the other side we will see if Kepu is up to it against one of the best tightheads going around. We will find out a lot about the Tahs frontrow this weekend.

In the 2nd row there is another litmus test for the Tahs with the Crusaders fielding both incumbent All Blacks and having former All Black Chris Jack on the bench. Interestingly despite having such a quality second row the Crusaders probably had the worst lineout in the competition last year, this should be an area the Tahs target.

Number 8 will be very interesting with the bulked up Ben Mowen up against one of the AB's last year in Kieren Read. Read had a great 2010 and was strong against the Blues 2weeks ago. A lot of people have been impressed with Mowen's start to the season but this is the real test.

The kiwis will be interested to see how Matt Todd goes up against Phil Waugh, he is seen to be in competition with Dan Braid for the backup 7 jersey at the world cup.

For the Tahs I think they have a real advantage in the back 3 and if they can gain parity up front they should look to exploit this. Can't wait. Let's hope the Crusaders are in the right head space and we have a cracking match.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Once they get Guildford back that backline will have virtually no average players, apart from possibly Ellis.

B

BRIX

"I see your one rats tail, and raise you a second rats tail."

ahaaha

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
dont be so harsh on timani -I think he does well for a player without any thumbs, as can be seen from my new avatar photo

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He needs to get it done like this

Rat_Tail.jpg

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
not sure - but that would explain why he tapes over them. imagine the grief he copped at school with nipples for thumbs :)

that said, im betting neither of us would say it to his face.
Not a chance! With two rats tails he could be a character out of Mortal Kombat.

To be fair to the bloke he's only 24 and his handling has been consistently better than Ryan Cross, a bloke who really does have tits for hands.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
From my reffing days I thought a minimum three week rest and then a return only with medical clearance was the norm for concussion....

That's the nominal norm. Even as a junior that was an awfully flexible condition and was only once enforced on me, and only once on any teammate I played with. It was pretty much unless you're taken off in an ambulance, she'll be right. Now imagine that attitude translated into a professional setting.

Although I vaguely recall Fuse having a concussion enforced rest a couple of years ago...could be all the head knocks though :p

Richo

John Thornett (49)
That's the nominal norm. Even as a junior that was an awfully flexible condition and was only once enforced on me, and only once on any teammate I played with. It was pretty much unless you're taken off in an ambulance, she'll be right. Now imagine that attitude translated into a professional setting.

Although I vaguely recall Fuse having a concussion enforced rest a couple of years ago...could be all the head knocks though :p

The NFL is only now coming to terms with the long-term effect of concussions -- obviously they get a lot more of them -- so it's good to see a pro rugby team taking the right approach.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
not sure - but that would explain why he tapes over them. imagine the grief he copped at school with nipples for thumbs :)

that said, im betting neither of us would say it to his face.

Brings a whole new dimension to Macbeth; "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Tahs going to lose this one. Saders have enough pain as it is.

Worse than that, Paarl, the Crusaders are almost at impossible odds to make 1 or 2 if they lose and in this comp if you are not first or second at the end you are probably no chance due to the likely travel impact over the finals series. So they will be absolutely desperate because lose this game and they'll have 4 points while the Tahs will have 14; Bulls, Stormers and Sharks probably 12 or 13. From there to get to 1 or 2 they would have to win every game, most with bonus points. Putting aside the earthquake I expect the Crusaders will put everything on the line this week. They can count like anyone else.

But if the Tahs can win, then they have put their bogey team to bed and only have to worry about the three SA teams and maybe the Blues. They have a lot to play for too. So the Tah in me says we can do it but my head says maybe not.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is a very difficult match to predict for obvious reasons.

One thing that occurs to me is that the Waratahs have played a very aggressive and up-tempo style in their first two games. There is uncertainty over whether they can maintain this pace throughout the season. However the players would be very much aware that they have a bye after Friday's game. I would imagine the prospect of a mini-break would make it easier for them to approach this game in the same spirit as the first two.

I think that the 'Tahs will win by at least 8, but I don't know to what extent this is influenced by what I would like to see happen.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
The form lines certainly do suggest that we ought to win. But like a lot of guys are saying, there are so many unknowns in this one.

The one thing I do hope is that regardless of the result, the Saders are in it mentally and able to play at their usual brilliant best. For Christchurch, sure, but also because a victory against a distracted, despondent opponent would be hollow and not give the boost the boys could use heading into the bye.

With Barnesy I'd go Tahs by 12, with Hangers at the helm I'll go Tahs by 5. +-15...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm really worried about the physical contest here, it was the Crusaders last year that injured Palu, Robinson and TPN wasn't it?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Another musing. The idea that the Crusaders will be inspired to rise above adversity would certainly make sense if this game were a final or a one-off Test match type fixture. But they have a long season ahead, so there is no particular reason to put it all on the line and produce a truly exceptional performance.

Very sadly I think the disaster may weigh on some of the players at some time during this campaign. I will be surprised if the team really shines in 2011.

I am in no way wanting my team to benefit from another's misfortune, but I feel that is the harsh reality. If I am wrong on Friday I will be more relaxed about it than I would usually be.

Status
Not open for further replies.