• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Crusaders - 2011R03

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Halangahu should never play again.

Harsh. Harsh as, bro. (Fuck, that youtube kiwi whale thing cracks me up. :lmao: )

The lad had a bad day and it happens. He'll give you a few good games yet. Having said that, I am not convinced Berrick would have made that much of a difference. Barnes is a better player than Hangers, but gee, the Tahs were going backwards for 60 minutes of the game.

Hangers had a bad game? Yep, but he was not Robinson Crusoe tonight....

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Can anyone clearly say what the 'tah tactics were in that game? The team seemed to be playing without a plan. Last year they tried some AFL-style kick-passes with some success early but in this game I can't remember them trying it on once. Their was a kick through for Mitchell late in the game (which he regathered before getting swamped without support).

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Now Tah's fans know exactly how Red's supporters felt last week. You go into a match full of expectation only to see that your team hasn't turned up and the opposition is on fire. Can't help but think that the physicality of last weekends game might have had something to do with it. Also, whilst it might be an emotional time for the Saders they had fresh legs after a week off.

Have to give it to the Crusaders. They hung in in the first twenty minutes and looked scrappy at times but when things finally clicked they were awesome. How good is Freuen? My favorite Kiwi player, Conrad Smith might have to watch his back.

I don't think Tah's supporters should get too down. You were just beaten by a much better team on the night.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My initial thought is that the 'tahs defence was not moving up as fast or as aggressively as last week, giving the Saders the time to make choices. And they did. There was quite a bit of mixing up in the backs, leading to several breaks.
A couple of days ago I asked how often the 'tahs could afford to lose 10 points through kicking. That would have given them the bonus point at least. Carter was 7/7 last night. I'd give Hanger's eye teeth for kicking like that.
I was happy with the general fitness, though. No one seemed to give up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought the Crusaders were very good when they got going, they simply lifted to a level and intensity the Tahs couldn't match.

Their clean out and counter rucking was fantastic.

But we did have our disappointments, Hangers wouldn't bend his back, Waugh was every where but couldn't match the pace of Todd. The front row ........... the crusaders always get the better of the Tahs scrum, they won the hit and won the scrummaging.

M

Muttonbird

I suppose Kaplan's record with the Waratahs is just a coincidence then?

It may surprise you to know that statistics can be made to "prove" any theory, no matter how irrational.

An unbiased observer is usually in a better position to see the truth and as Fatprop has pointed out there are many legitimate reasons for that record none of which can be put down to Kaplans integrity.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Told you all SBW is the man.

Nice trolling Reddy. SBW is so overrated it's not even funny. I could have scored the try he did and god knows i definitely could have coughed the ball up and thrown as many stupid semi-offload/drops as he did too.

T

tranquility

Nice trolling Reddy. SBW is so overrated it's not even funny. I could have scored the try he did and god knows i definitely could have coughed the ball up and thrown as many stupid semi-offload/drops as he did too.

Really? I rate him very highly. He runs good lines, has soft hands and dents the line both in attack and defense. He would have to be one of the best athletes on the planet.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Jnor your out of your head if you think SBW is overrated. Most of the breaks the saders made come off him ability to offload in the tackle. The guy is a freak when he gets going on. Awesome footballer

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
1. The ref was shit, but he was shit for both teams i reckon.
2. Crusaders, coming off a week off (maybe not an ideal week off for them but fresh bodies, trying to give their community something to smile about) played to the ref and put together some great rugby.
3. Tahs looked tired and exhausted, how much did last week take out of them? It has been said the Reds seem to have no plan B, neither do the Tahs by the look of it. Muscling up and dirupting the opposition has been their go in the first 2 weeks. The Saders didn't allow them to do it and they had nothing else.
The bye could be coming at the perfect time for the Tahs, you'd hope some of the injuries are not to serious (TPN, Horne, Waugh)

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ok, maybe I was being a little harsh. I definitely think he's a talented footballer and a very very good athlete.

I'm not sure he deserves the praise that gushes towards him in unrelenting torrents just yet. Maybe he will deserve it after the world cup, but I hope not for the Wallabies sake

L

leftside

woah woah woah, ease up waratahs fans. i think you all need to take a deep breath and look at the situation here

the waratahs were never going to win that match, even before kick-off. why might you ask. the crusaders were playing on EMOTION. any team playing a team that is playing on emotion has two things that are going against them:

1. the crusaders had that little bit of extra motivation, which allowed them to surge above their normal level of playing ability (both collectively and individually). they were literally playing for their city. add this to their first round loss and them not playing next week, the crusaders were fucking hungry.

2. the waratahs' hearts were never going to be in it. although you might say 'they're a professional team, they shouldn't be allowed to be sucked into off-field issues'; the reality is that they are HUMAN, which allowed them to think 'fuck i feel sorry for these guys'. of course they wouldn't deliberately lose, however this would have always been subconsciously playing on their minds.

so, waratahs fans, i'm not excusing the loss and saying that they only lost because of this. but put things in perspective, it was a lose/lose situation for them. credit to both teams for the manner in which the game was played, especially the waratahs, you've gained a bit of respect from someone north of the border...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ok, maybe I was being a little harsh. I definitely think he's a talented footballer and a very very good athlete.

I'm not sure he deserves the praise that gushes towards him in unrelenting torrents just yet. Maybe he will deserve it after the world cup, but I hope not for the Wallabies sake

I think you are jealous that the enemy has him.

I was a big SBW skeptic but the ITM and EOYT chnaged that.

Be very afraid. He is even starting to figure out what to do at the ruck. I have watched him carefully and his play off the ball has improved immensely as well. Thise two areas are where mungies fall over in Union. This guys is figuring it out.

Name on player with a better offload in the tackle. I haven't seen him.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
interesting question:

if the earthquake never happened, would the Tahs still have lost?

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Kane Douglas played like a mongoloid. Some of those abysmal tackling efforts had me tearing out carpet, what a pathetic excuse for a human being. It also kills me inside that Halangahu is the second best fly half in all of New South Wales. He's shit. Bad times man, Bad times

Couldn't agree more re: Douglas.. I've been fuming since watch his piss poor efforts. No heart when it counted, and no rugby brain either (eg when he let Fruean go through on the wing and when he let Whitelock go running past him within arm reach and didn't even bother to fall over in a fake attempt.) Looked like it might have even been a fitness issue?

Hangaz.
Was reliable enough last year, can only think he's out of form because he knows he's so far behind Berrick. How much run time is he getting at training, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.