• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Hurricanes - Super Rugby 2012 Rd 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Well, the Tahs achieved something amazing tonight. I actually felt bad for Aussie supporters for the first time in my life.:(
If they were losing but actually playing some attractive full-hearted rughy it might be acceptable. Its fuckin depressing and bad for the game. A full-scale clean out is required. The fans must demand it.

The Canes weren't even that good, just good on attack. But they were made to look good by the Tahs. The Canes are not a top-tier side. I highly doubt they'll get anywhere near the Chiefs or an improving Crusdaders side.

Reactions: Epi
J

Jiggles

Is that what it is? I thought I had an aim with my crtitique. That would to seek improvement, as with anything else I am professionally called on to critique, even if I just do this because I love the game and have followed the Tahs for more years than I care to remember.

My reply has nothing to do with you, so stop being a sook about it. it directly refers to ACR's line regarding his love of delivering criticism. I had read your post, and I think there are a lot of valid points in it. I am still digesting it, and I will probably read it again, so I will let you know if I disagree or agree with any of them, and why.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
ACR,

I think criticism for criticisms sake is a poor traite to have. but besides that you have some valid points. I think a lot of the pressure Barnes feels is due to slow ball he gets, and a lot of that is due to a lack of fitness, work rate, and general urgency displaced by the Tah forwards.

I only said that because what I was about to type has already been said by just about every person watching the Tahs play (and I wasn't serious for that matter). I just couldn't help myself due to how many things need fixing. I didn't even consider fitness an issue, I assumed at this level it was a given. If the fitness isn't up to it , then every single aspect of game play would be improved by fixing this (obviously). Of course it's too late for that now with two games to go, that's pre-season work; and effective control via the coaches throughout the season.

J

Jiggles

I only said that because what I was about to type has already been said by just about every person watching the Tahs play.

Sorry mate, and fair enough. I don't want to come across as condescending. I think Bruce Ross, if you seek his comments out, has some good things to say about fitness and conditioning. I don't reply much to what he says because I don't think I can add much too it, but he has some great points and insights into fitness.

Reactions: ACR

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I didn't even consider fitness an issue, I assumed at this level it was a given.

Don't let it get you down, ACR. Virtually everyone I raise the issue with makes the same assumption. Not only that but they assume that the type of fitness training employed is appropriate for rugby.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Bruce, who do you see as the fittest soup side in Aus, and the fittest in soup rugby overall this year?

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
The Tahs should be relegated out of Super Rugby. They are a disgrace to the sport in this country.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
... and the overreaction of the week goes to Epi!!!

Well done son.
Thanks but overreactions are normally an instantaneous affair... This one's been years in the making.

They are a disgrace and have done more to retard the growth of the sport in this country than anything the IRB could dish out.

J

Jiggles

I am a bit worried about Vito.

I have always thought he was a bit to light weight to be any good for the All Blacks, especially as a Kaino replacement. But tonight he made the Tahs pack his bitch. Considering 4 to 6 of them are going to be in the Wallaby 22 I am very very concerned.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Geez if I was Michael Hooper I'd be seeing what I could do to go back and stay with the Brumbies. Shame to think that next season he'll get lost in the black hole of a rugby team that is the Waratahs.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, who do you see as the fittest soup side in Aus, and the fittest in soup rugby overall this year?

Sorry, I can't answer that, kiap. As mentioned above, usually you can take fitness as a given and most teams can comfortably play out 80 minutes. What stands out is when teams are not being appropriately conditioned.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sorry, I can't answer that, kiap. As mentioned above, usually you can take fitness as a given and most teams can comfortably play out 80 minutes. What stands out is when teams are not being appropriately conditioned.
Yeah, no worries Bruce. It possibly changes over the season as well depending on the programs being used in the season, as you suggest, and the personnel available on the park to the various teams.

I'd probably have taken a taken a stab at the Brumbies and Highlanders, particularly early in the season. Some others have seemed to improve towards the latter stages; the Crusaders being one - although it might be form and class, more than fitness.

J

Jiggles

I think the Highlanders play a great physical game, but its there fitness which is the reason why they are sliding at the back end of the year. The Bulls seem to have great fitness, even though I don't rate their game plan.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
No booing tonight...probably just a sense of resignation at what season 2012 has degenerated into.

Good to see the numerous Hurricanes fans get some joy at least.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think the Highlanders play a great physical game, but its there fitness which is the reason why they are sliding at the back end of the year.
Could be. They have slid somewhat.

And it could be that they have lost fitness since the season start.

J

Jiggles

yeah that is a fair comment. Its all well and good to build fitness before the seasons, but it is probably more of a challenge to keep it as you're managing injuries and what not.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Could be. They have slid somewhat.

And it could be that they have lost fitness since the season start.

Start of the season they were very fit. After playing the Tahs in Dunedin Mackintosh said in his post-game interview that they knew they were fitter than the Tahs. Since our bye in week 8 it's been 7 straight games including the SA trip, playing a number of better sides. Considering a continuous list of injuries, it's not surprising we've dropped off.

Here's an example, pretty standard stuff for professional outfits these days...

P

Paradox

Something very wrong at the Tahs. The forwards couldn't even maul tonight. I hope they sort it out, we need these same blokes firing for Oz.

Status
Not open for further replies.