• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Week 8 - Waratahs vs Force - Saturday 15 April @ 7:35pm

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bit surprised you thought Strachan milked it initially - he went off for a concussion test and missed most of the game (I think he was back on for a period in the first half but was out the second half).

And given the consequences on Strachan, and the history of dirty hits by Swinton, 7 weeks is reasonable.

And Strachan had said to Gus to review, and he wouldnt. Couple that with the TMO missing it, and I hope there was a dressing down of the refs there, if a guy goes off for concussion and its not clear what caused it, surely there is reason to review? Player safety should be number 1.
I did think he sold it (at the time, on the coverage with bad vision of it) like a lot of players are in both codes unfortunately at the moment, but I was very wrong.

The fact he had to get a HIA doesn't really mean anything, you only have to whisper the word Concussion and they sit you down in club land so the fact he hit the deck should mean they have to. They are obliged to do it and it's a worry he came back on if he did have issues.

I blame the TMO and the touchies for not bringing it up. I can't blame the ref for not just taking the players word on something they should review. Even in this instance where something did occur, you can hear players constantly offering their denial of a referees call (Nic White endlessly) The ref without his confirmation from another official can't be pulling up the game every time. So far Super Rugby has been good with this.

I have no problem with the suspension, and I hope it's the last we ever see of him at this point. I really hope we never go down a 2 ref on the field system. It won't clean anything up IMO and will just have more penalties, less game time, worse product, fewer fans

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The system worked, whilst missed on the day, the illegal effort was caught and punished

Unless we have major injuries Swinton is very unlikely to appear in the rep quads and Sydney Uni is going to gain a serious unit when he finishes his time on the naughty step

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, the right outcome post game. It's a pity that it wasn't picked up on the field at the time.

Swinton is a thug and needs to spend some time out of the game to think about he goes about things.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep, the right outcome post game. It's a pity that it wasn't picked up on the field at the time.

Swinton is a thug and needs to spend some time out of the game to think about he goes about things.
No system is perfect so they have a process for those who slip through

20 years ago Swinton's thuggery would have been celebrated, but now there are too many cameras to make it viable

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
20 years (probably more, realistically) ago Swinton's thuggery would have been sorted out by a hard man from the opposition. A bit of street justice if you will. That might have kept him quiet.

Alex Ross (28)
20 years (probably more, realistically) ago Swinton's thuggery would have been sorted out by a hard man from the opposition. A bit of street justice if you will. That might have kept him quiet.
I get the impression he’d thrive off it. Swinton has just had the bad luck of been born in the wrong generation. He’d be right at home in previous era’s

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I don’t remember “enforcers” like Finnegan getting in endless shoving matches over not much though. They gave out niggle, copped niggle, got on with it. A player like Swinton seems so intent of displaying physical dominance he’s willing to grapple with an opponent at the site of the previous ruck instead of taking his spot in the defensive line.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've said it many times, but I remember watching Swinton right from the start at Uni and he was always involved in some sort of filth. Proper wannabe hard man. Where he's ended up is no surprise and it's a bit disappointing in some respects that a grizzled old veteran at club level didn't sort him out sooner.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
This is still my favourite example of Swinton's "hard man toughness"...

EJfjJC.gif

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can understand the frustration, the de Groot hit on Robertson was also missed which was worse than Swinton’s.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
My Dad - a lifelong rugby fan in his 60s - barely watches anymore, and when he does he inevitably always ends up grumpy as he laments 'the rules are so complicated' when a whistle is blown and there is a different outcome to what would have been expected 5-10 years ago.

I feel his pain. Scrums and mauls are a lottery and are always changing.
I don't want to be the devil but in terms of planning the future a under 20s viewer is more importamt than an old man. They can travel, go to the stadium and has a long life to spend their loney in the game

It's like the players, a 19 years old kid like Sua'ali'i is more valuable than a 34 years old man like Toni Pulu

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Really Force?? Give it up. You should have your own guys looking in the mirror before you start crying foul over missed foul play…

to be fair - they've also had one of their players red carded who was later completely cleared. It's got to be frustrating. A few missed knock ons or forward passes you probably need to get over but two completely wrong red card rulings are potentially match (and season) changing.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Really Force?? Give it up. You should have your own guys looking in the mirror before you start crying foul over missed foul play…

surely we can have both though. im certain that they are looking the mirror but that doesnt mean they cant use the official channels to run a mid season festivus

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)

The idea of having referees and TMO's is to catch the offence during the match and apply the necessary penalty. Its no use after the game when the Tahs have the 4 points. If it was caught in the game and a red card applied then it could have totally altered the outcome of the game.

Refs need to be held accountable for their performance and in this case blindness is no excuse. If the TMO can play endless replays of the Ardie Savea throat slit action and get him yellow carded, which was a total load of nonsense, then why did the TMO not pull it up when there was obviously a player down. It is total incompetence on the part of the officiation crew in what is supposed to be a Professional sporting code.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
to be fair - they've also had one of their players red carded who was later completely cleared. It's got to be frustrating. A few missed knock ons or forward passes you probably need to get over but two completely wrong red card rulings are potentially match (and season) changing.
Two upgrades in game overturned. Callan and amose

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)

Just as a last comment on this Strachan has been ruled out for at least 4 weeks with concussion symptoms. How are the 2 lads after their incidents that you keep talking about?