• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

So to summarize the discussions and various viewpoints above I think we can all agree the Force need some cheerleaders with boobs.....

Crisis over.....and yes Meakes looks a handy prospect if we get him.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've not seen much of Meakes so I watched some footage of him on youtube.

He looks pretty handy. Physical, good footwork with great hands and a decent offload. Could be a great pick up for the Force.. finally a genuine 13? I wouldn't be upset with a back line of Prior - Lance - (insert winger) - Taps - Meakes - Moz - DHP

Moz and DHP, in particular, running support lines off him could be something to look forward to.
Hopefully it is 12. Meakes, 13. Tapuai. Force been lacking physicality in the backline. He looks fairly decent in glimpses if the videos are any indication.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Daley just confirmed the signing himself on Rugby 360
If so, that is a decent signing. I haven't been overly impressed by van Wyk and Heiberg, and Pek could do with some competition.

Daley is coming into his prime. Hopefully he can make a meaningful contribution to the Force. He just needs to keep himself on the park.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If so, that is a decent signing. I haven't been overly impressed by van Wyk and Heiberg, and Pek could do with some competition.

Daley is coming into his prime. Hopefully he can make a meaningful contribution to the Force. He just needs to keep himself on the park.

In the few games he played this year, Dales seemed to have really improved his scrummaging, while his work around the park is always good. He just had a couple of shoulder injuries in the past couple of years, which is a concern. Overall a good pick up for the force.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So to summarize the discussions and various viewpoints above I think we can all agree the Force need some cheerleaders with boobs...

Crisis over...and yes Meakes looks a handy prospect if we get him.

I remember wondering a little while back what had happened to Meakes. He was always a standout a club Rugby. Big, strong etc. Good to see him get a crack at professional Rugby and even better to see him coming back. Would be a good get for the Force. Though, as a Tahs fan with the loss of Beale having someone with his ability to find or create holes and get the ball to other players I have to say I'd like in Sydney and pairing with Folau. I know, I'm being greedy.

T

TOCC

Yes he will be a useful addition, cpntrary to what many on here will spruce, Daleys scrummaging ability has greatly improved, his issue is his physical longevity, stringing enough games together to prove naysayers wrong.

I made the mistake of reading some comments over at TWF on the Daley signing, and some are utterly scathing, claiming they won't support the team anymore if he is signed, I'ts a shame for such comments, I used to enjoy that forum.

M

Moono75

At least Daley has played finals rugby and been part of a Super Rugby Championship, a feat which so far has proven to be a wet dream for the Force. I'm happy to give the guy a chance to prove himself in a new environment.

Welcome to the Sea of Blue Ben.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I remember wondering a little while back what had happened to Meakes. Good to see him get a crack at professional rugby.....

Gloucester DO pay their players in the Aviva Premiership, WCR. Bill wandered off to the Old Dart when he couldn't raise any interest from the Oz super sides. Started off with a lower club, Clifton RFC, before he was noticed by the Cherry and Whites and the rest's history. He should be a good fit at the Force, now all they need's a decent coach.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Gloucester DO pay their players in the Aviva Premiership, WCR. Bill wandered off to the Old Dart when he couldn't raise any interest from the Oz super sides. Started off with a lower club, Clifton RFC, before he was noticed by the Cherry and Whites and the rest's history. He should be a good fit at the Force, now all they need's a decent coach.

I know. I was referring to his time at Gloucester.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yes he will be a useful addition, cpntrary to what many on here will spruce, Daleys scrummaging ability has greatly improved, his issue is his physical longevity, stringing enough games together to prove naysayers wrong.

I made the mistake of reading some comments over at TWF on the Daley signing, and some are utterly scathing, claiming they won't support the team anymore if he is signed, I'ts a shame for such comments, I used to enjoy that forum.
What do they think is wrong with him?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Force re Daley.

His 2 biggest problems have been his scrummaging and the ability to stay on the field (injury).

He is only about 28 and should be in his prime. Obviously the Reds have relegated him down the order and were not prepared to renew his contract (for on reason or another). Sef F is obviously above him.

I have been critical of Dales scrum ability for many years. Having said that he has given good service to QLD for several years and I wish him the best for the future.

Often as seems the case, a player who shifts franchises becomes rejuvenated in his play. Hope that happens to Ben.

M

Moono75

As the Reds have posted themselves it's tough to lose good 'club man'. Never underestimate the benefit of bringing in an experienced player who can contribute to the team both on and off the field.

More concerning is what looks like Godwins departure to the Brumbies. Godwins career is on the up and he has yet to reach his considerable potential. It's a shame to lose his services to the Brumbies for what will be his best years as a pro. Players like this are the guys you want to be able to hold and develop because you know at some point they will shine and kick some butt.

To the detriment of the Force, you need to have good players, good facilities, good coaches, money, great fan base and a city with a great lifestyle to keep and attract talent. We are only delivering in maybe 2 of those areas.

We need to do some serious self evaluation as to where we want to be in the sporting landscape in order to turn things around. If we don't respect ourselves as a sporting organisation we won't command any respect and will continue to be a doormat for the rest of the competition.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I understand Daley was not the strongest scrummager in his early days, but I really don't understand why he still has a reputation as a poor scrummager. He has improved beyond recognition to the extent that the Reds scrum has lost nothing the last couple of years when he is there instead of Slipper. That is NOT something you can say about Fa'agase.

It seems to me that people made up their mind about him 5+ years ago and are too stubborn to re-examine their prejudice in light of new information.

When the Reds destroyed the Tahs' scrum in Round 1 this year, it was Daley packing in at loosehead not Slipper. Add to that his sense of community and team culture and I think he's a great pickup for the Force if he can stay fit. One of the game's true gentlemen.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I understand Daley was not the strongest scrummager in his early days, but I really don't understand why he still has a reputation as a poor scrummager. He has improved beyond recognition to the extent that the Reds scrum has lost nothing the last couple of years when he is there instead of Slipper. That is NOT something you can say about Fa'agase.

It seems to me that people made up their mind about him 5+ years ago and are too stubborn to re-examine their prejudice in light of new information.

When the Reds destroyed the Tahs' scrum in Round 1 this year, it was Daley packing in at loosehead not Slipper. Add to that his sense of community and team culture and I think he's a great pickup for the Force if he can stay fit. One of the game's true gentlemen.

I really think Daley's scrummaging improved consistently in the first couple of games THIS year. Historically he has been considered "less than adequate" by opposition players. Having said that he was always pretty good around the field and played with "passion" and with aggression.

He has the perfect shape for a THP but never could play that position. Big strong legs, big arse to pack onto and the right height.

No question about his commitment and sense of community.

I would think he will be an asset to the Force

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
DRUNKEN Western Force players including Wallaby stars Dane Haylett-Petty, Adam Coleman and Pek Cowan were involved in ugly incidents including fighting in the lobby and urinating in the hallway of their South African hotel last weekend.
Cowan has been stripped of the Force captaincy this weekend, while natural successor Haylett-Petty was overlooked for breaching leadership standards, with winger Luke Morahan to skipper the side against the Stormers in Perth on Saturday.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...t/news-story/0bc4ba9d024ec5df4a0e045dbf9fb303

Status
Not open for further replies.