• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is funny that we talk sustainability but the same question isn't asked of the Brumbies. Put Brumbies results in Perth and I'd wager you'd get 50% to 100% bigger crowds.

The Brumbies lead the Oz conference and yet it still doesn't seem like they are financially viable. They had a lifeline in the form of a dodgy property sale. But what is going to change to turn this all around?

I find it funny that the Force is finally developing local players and so the Brumbies nab one in Nick Jooste (despite e having J Jackson-Hope) and are now onto another. It might be a much higher number than I think, but when was the last time any other franchise profited off Brumbies juniors? How many kilometres is it between Canberra and Western Sydney ;)

Brumby Pat

Frank Row (1)
It might be a much higher number than I think, but when was the last time any other franchise profited off Brumbies juniors?

There is a fair number of ex-Brumby academy players currently at the Force including Faulkner, Coleman, Walton, Charles & Rasolea.

'Swings & Roundabouts'

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It is funny that we talk sustainability but the same question isn't asked of the Brumbies. Put Brumbies results in Perth and I'd wager you'd get 50% to 100% bigger crowds.

The Brumbies lead the Oz conference and yet it still doesn't seem like they are financially viable. They had a lifeline in the form of a dodgy property sale. But what is going to change to turn this all around?

I find it funny that the Force is finally developing local players and so the Brumbies nab one in Nick Jooste (despite e having J Jackson-Hope) and are now onto another. It might be a much higher number than I think, but when was the last time any other franchise profited off Brumbies juniors? How many kilometres is it between Canberra and Western Sydney ;)

Canberra's poor crowds are probably a reflection of a poor stadium and poor weather. I think we'll see larger crowds once the proposed indoor CBD stadium is built.

So in comparison with the Force, I don't think it reflects poor interest in rugby union, I think their is a lot of interest in Canberra, just poor logistics, whereas it seems the opposite in the Force.

Don't you guys have the perfect weather for bringing families out to rugby games?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

How bout the 6 million dollar sponsor Aquis we have. We will be fine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
but when was the last time any other franchise profited off Brumbies juniors?

Matt-Henjak-(L)-and-Matt-Giteau-5888535.jpg

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Don't you guys have the perfect weather for bringing families out to rugby games?

This is another issue. Due to satisfying the TV audience the majority of games are too late for families. There is normally about 1 game a year that kicks off at a reasonable hour for young kids, the rest of them kick off at 7.30. They should have more Saturday or Sunday afternoon kick offs and promote the family aspect of it.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
There is a fair number of ex-Brumby academy players currently at the Force including Faulkner, Coleman, Walton, Charles & Rasolea.

'Swings & Roundabouts'
I am talking output not throughput. I wouldn't hold any Force claim to the likes of Pocock, James O'Connor, etc- we didn't produce them just as you didnt produce any of those guys except apparently Walton (not a ringing endorsement)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

I think one factor that is over looked in any argument with the Brumbies is simply population and what "catchment" the Brumbies are working with. This years lowest crowd was still 2.5% of the Canberra population, with the high mark at above 5.5% of the population.

All other franchises are under 1%, the Force average is around 0.5%.

So for some prospective, the Brumbies survive in a market (total) that is about 20% the size of just the Perth market, not the WA market which is another half million plus people.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've not seen much of Meakes so I watched some footage of him on youtube.

He looks pretty handy. Physical, good footwork with great hands and a decent offload. Could be a great pick up for the Force.... finally a genuine 13? I wouldn't be upset with a back line of Prior - Lance - (insert winger) - Taps - Meakes - Moz - DHP

Moz and DHP, in particular, running support lines off him could be something to look forward to.

Reactions: mst

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I think one factor that is over looked in any argument with the Brumbies is simply population and what "catchment" the Brumbies are working with. This years lowest crowd was still 2.5% of the Canberra population, with the high mark at above 5.5% of the population.

All other franchises are under 1%, the Force average is around 0.5%.

So for some prospective, the Brumbies survive in a market (total) that is about 20% the size of just the Perth market, not the WA market which is another half million plus people.

I agree, the population is a valid point. Equally though it has to be recognised that WA and VIC have the downside of the dominant AFL code being so entrenched not only as a participation sport but also in the media.

Ideally each franchise would hang onto its developed juniors but players will make decisions based on perceived opportunities or money.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree, the population is a valid point. Equally though it has to be recognised that WA and VIC have the downside of the dominant AFL code being so entrenched not only as a participation sport but also in the media.

Ideally each franchise would hang onto its developed juniors but players will make decisions based on perceived opportunities or money.

Yep - ditto. Canberra has the AFL influence as well, and also has one of the most diverse sports participation environments. The Raiders are the main competitor media wise.

Players moving between franchise is a good thing as other wise the skills sets would stagnate and we need to have an environment where players can seek opportunity at other franchises. This component need to be supported heavily otherwise players wont see pathways or how to make a future in the sport.

There will always be swings and roundabouts in talent availability. A perfect example of that is the Brumbies going from 1x9, importing Cubelli to bolster the ranks and now have added 23 of the best up and coming talent which includes Powell and his understudy.

I am still of the belief that we (Union) has yet to decided what it is and where it sits in the market, find its real identity. We keep following and mimicking our nearest competitors, our though processes are tuned to compete with them on an equal footing but we are distinctly different. The AFL especially do not offer the opportunity to travel or play in an international market. Even the NRL only offer limited opportunities beyond the domestic market.

We however can say honestly to a junior player that if you don't make it here in Super Rugby you could be a Brock James (yes he played Super Rugby) and make a really good living in France, or travel and play in Japan or the UK. If you do make it in Super Rugby look at the possibilities including the Wallabies. But we never market that or use that as an incentive.

And this applies equally across genders and includes 7's.

Even being a referee gives you the chance to travel and work globally.

Its exciting stuff, but yet we are still to get past discussions about which state produce the most talent and why and if they should then move to other franchises etc etc.

EDIT: ^^^Meakes above is a good example - went elsewhere and may return as a really good asset to a club! Young and already done the O/S thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.