• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Although the Western Force seems happy to have its name used, this team is evidently wholly an initiative of RugbyWA.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ahhh. Ok. Thanks for that insight. Such a shame. Pretty rugby too right? Two organisations with similar goals not working together for the best outcome.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Such a shame. Pretty rugby too right? Two organisations with similar goals not working together for the best outcome.
You're putting up a straw woman here, Reg, to bop down …

bop-bag.gif

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pleasing to see (On Facebook) that RugbyWA has just run a rugby clinic at Joondalup Baptist College in Perth's nthn Suburbs. The clinic was supported by Joondalup RU Club as well as Peter Grant - ex WF/Stormers/Springbok. Joondalup is a focus point for many of the local ex-Sth African Perth Community. It would make a lot of sense for JBC to be one of the Sec School competition that was announced last year. Also very pleasing to see that the clinic was well-attended by both boys and girls.
Go you good thing!!

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Will McDonald get any time?

McDonald is currently a member of the Extended Player Squad - none of whom have any game time in SRAu (Jackson Pugh???).
Apart from Jonah Placid the average age of the EPS is 21yo.

I understand that McDonald has been injured.
McDonald is up against some stiff competition.
He sits behind Lance, McIntyre and Miotti.
I suggest that he's being set-up for the future with an opportunity to be mentored by these players and Rob Kearney.

Would expect him to get plenty of game time in Perth club rugby and maybe get some game time in non-critical matches.
WF has already announced one match after SRau/TT cross-over series (opponent currently unknown).
The TT cross-over games, as far as I know, are still up in the air.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just I re-watched a bit of our golden ‘19 JRWC and he was one of the absolute best out of some players who are all regular super players and soon to be in Gold. Surprised that his talent hasn’t translated yet.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Frustrating thing is that there aren't enough opportunities for some of our young guys with no NRC. We saw a bit of McDonald and Jackson Pugh in the Brumbies trial. Would love to see a bit more along with our U20 guys.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just I re-watched a bit of our golden ‘19 JRWC and he was one of the absolute best out of some players who are all regular super players and soon to be in Gold. Surprised that his talent hasn’t translated yet.

I don't think that his time with the Tahs helped his progress.
4 games with Sydney (Rays) in the NRC and 2 Super Rugby caps with Tahs in 2020.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The development of young players is such a quandry.
Have always had high hopes for Nick Jooste who played fly-half for the Australian School Boys (2015 I think).
Played 5 games for Perth Spirit in the NRC in 2015 (18yo) and left for the Brumbies reportedly to learn under Steve Larkham.
2016 - Canberra Vikings - 7 games.
2016-17 - Brumbies - 0 games.
2017 - Perth Spirit - 4 games (WF cut from Super Rugby didn't help his development)
2018 - Qld Reds - Wider Training Group - 0 games
2019 - Returned to WF for GRR in 2020
2020 - Cut from WF at end of season.
Still <24yo. Great boot but hasn't been able to prove himself at FH in senior rugby.
Did I read somewhere that the average career of a Super Rugby player was <3 seasons??

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wasn't talking about Super Rugby I was talking about the NRC. The same NRC that helped develop the fantastic QLD squad you now have. If you want to be unhelpful and make asinine comments, go elsewhere.

sorry if you aren't open to other's opinions. We have Kalani Thomas coming through who is younger than MacDonald. Never got to play NRC let alone AUS 20s but that doesn't stop us developing him. Can't keep blaming others for failings. Hope we don't lose him back home to Ireland

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am open to opinions from people who have something worthwhile to say. I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just saying it is a shame we no longer have a tier below Super Rugby. Have a think about what you really want in coming onto this thread. If it's constructive, great, if not, please think again.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am open to opinions from people who have something worthwhile to say. I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just saying it is a shame we no longer have a tier below Super Rugby. Have a think about what you really want in coming onto this thread. If it's constructive, great, if not, please think again.

It's a huge shame, I've been disappointed in the Rebels not trying Gordon out. The coaches know best and are there to win games, if McDonald or Gordon aren't up to it, why risk it. Buuuuut Prior & Cubelli aren't doing anything for Australia rn and McDonald could very much be a Wallaby in waiting.