• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force V Reds 5th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Haven't been looking closely at Reds injuries.
Are these forced selections,or is the coach giving the youngsters a run, to see what he's got?
Or both?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Haven't been looking closely at Reds injuries.
Are these forced selections,or is the coach giving the youngsters a run, to see what he's got?
Or both?

A bit of both I think, the list of injured in the article doesn't mention Owen, Placid or O'Donoghue. Hopefully they get a good bit of time out there.

A continuation of the Reds’ horror run of injuries has forced all three changes, with last week’s starters Greg Holmes (knee), Dom Shipperley (ankle) and Anthony Fainga’a (calf) all ruled out of this week’s match.

The Reds are also without the services of Quade Cooper (shoulder/hip), Will Genia (ankle), Chris Feauai-Sautia (shoulder), Aidan Toua (pectoral), Eddie Quirk (knee) and Liam Gill (Australian Sevens duties). In all, there are currently seven players with Wallabies experience unavailable for selection.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/Article...Reds-team-to-play-Western-Force-in-Perth.aspx

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I generally ike the team - enthusiasm of the Reds will be the key.

However, the Force have a strong scrum. My only criticism is that the selection of Daley, a widely acknowledged poor scrummager, at LHP pushing Slipper to THP is a poor decision. Its a shame that Holmes is injured !!!!!

The scrum last week when replacements were made went pearshaped.

I think the Force will dominate at scrumtime but our lineout will be superior so hopefully that evens things out. The backs to create havoc.

Hope Horwill continues with last weeks form and leads from the front. Frisby will again bring enthusiasm to 9 which has been lacking for much of the season.

First 20 to be an armstruggle then the Reds to dominate the last 60

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi Guys first time posting, but I like the look of the young reds side. Might actually add some enthusiasm to their game. Congrats to GPS boys Samu getting his run on debut, Pickles Frisby getting most time in 9, and SJ getting a chance off the bench (as much as I would prefer they were playing with us, the experience will be great).

Reactions: gel

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Haha. @ RugbyReg - nice work snapping up that underdog status.

Nice to see the Reds blooding some new players for next year. The result on the weekend doesn't matter a whole lot so I like to idea of giving the new guys their first taste of Super Rugby.

Agree re Slipper playing THP. Given the difference in quality depth between LHP and THP for the wobs, its not out of the question that we'll need Slipper at THP over the next 18 months.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slipper v Pek will be a good battle but I thing Daley may be in for a long night against Longbottom.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I do hope Faagese and Johnson get a run, they have been killing it in Premier Grade this season.

Although I do rate him as a player, I think Buchanan jumped the que a little bit, over Gunn who I think is ready to be blooded at that level.

That being said, Buchanan has been great for University for so many years, it is great to see him rewarded.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Can anyone tell me how to pronounce 'Faagese'? My best guess is something like Fay-gee-see, but I reckon I'm probably off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can anyone tell me how to pronounce 'Faagese'? My best guess is something like Fay-gee-see, but I reckon I'm probably off.

Wait and see how Marto pronounces it then do the opposite :D

It's confusing. Normally with a Polynesian name you'd expect it to be Fa'agase where there is the double vowel and you'd pronounce both.

I'd probably still punt on Fa-a-gah-say.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Not a good start for me, I couldn't even spell it correctly. I'm happy to run with your pronunciation BH until someone who knows the guy can say differently.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Unless the Wallabies are going to take 6 props to the WC, someone has to be able to switch sides, and it might as well be Slipper.

M

Moono75

You are either more optimistic than someone who watched the Force play last week should be, or you don't mind the taste of humble pie. :D

Hey I realise this game could go either way and the Reds played well last week. I'm pinning my hopes on the Force having more to play for to keep the finals hope alive and recognising how piss poor the effort was last week. The Force will come out breathing Firepower!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Unless the Wallabies are going to take 6 props to the WC, someone has to be able to switch sides, and it might as well be Slipper.

Alexander Kepu and Slipper can all play both sides.

Cowan v Slipper generally would be Slipper on top but with Dales out there it might be a different equation. I wish Dales the best of luck and the rest of the Reds scrum but Dales might want to put his boots on backwards in his battle with Longbottom.

I have hoped and hoped he would improve at scrum time for several years but for some unknown reason he just doesn't seem to improve. His work around the paddock is generally pretty good and RG must think one is compensated by the other.

Taps and Frisby must be looking forward to this week as well. I am.

Force should be favourites but youth and enthusiasm will prevail. Reds by 15

Status
Not open for further replies.